Towing Large Trailer Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Curious what the advice/tips/techniques are for those hauling a long trailer (say 35’ or more). I have a 38’ gooseneck (that’s floor length; so add 8’ for the gooseneck part) I got not long ago and am about to tow it from IA to Vegas. I’ve towed a 25’ bumper pull for like 10+ years but the gooseneck and this size is new to me.

So when you all are towing a trailer of this size do you do recon via google maps on where you’re going to see any potential problems (tight parking lots, no turn arounds, etc)?

This is good training since wife and I want a 5er in the next couple years. Probably in the 41-43’ range of the toy hauler variety.

Anyway: so do you use nothing but truck stops? I know from just traveling the country there are fuel stops that would be impossible with a big trailer while some would work. For the truck stops; do you use the pumps the semis use? Do truck drivers get pissed if a non-18 wheeler use those? Aren’t those larger nozzles too?...and do they present any issues for a non-18 wheeler? I’ve seen some places where those pumps only take “fleet cards”....which is a hassle to go in to give CC; fuel up; go back in. You end up clogging up the pump a lot longer that way. I’ve going through those pumps to get DEF at the pump either directly filling or filling up my blue DEF jug.

Anywho; sorry for novel. Curious how you all attack this when you’re out pulling large trailers everyday for work/making a living out of it.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Use the truck stops, we don't mind. We all need fuel now and then. Consider getting a larger fuel tank, either in the bed or to replace the OEM one.
Remember that larger truck stop fuel nozzles will easily spit out fuel since they are a much higher fuel rate pump.

OP
OP
Tankerpilot01

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have Titan tanks in both my 2500 Chevy and dually Ram. Love having the extra endurance.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you get the 5th wheel where do you plan I’m taking it? My dad just bought a 40’ TT this summer and was surprised to find how few place will take a trailer of that size.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
One big difference versus a tag-along you will need to get dialed in on is how goosenecks off-track in corners like a semi, so you need to plan your lane choice in intersections, and be mindful of curb clearance. Remember, "out straight, turn late".

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For the truck stops; do you use the pumps the semis use? Do truck drivers get pissed if a non-18 wheeler use those? Aren’t those larger nozzles too?...and do they present any issues for a non-18 wheeler?

Keep in mind diesel pumps for semi trucks pump faster than standard gas station pump. Standard gas stations are 10 gal/min pumps for Semi trucks are 40 gal/min. The nozzle on the semi pumps will fit in any of the Ram diesels(EcoDiesel included), just go slow unless you want to wear diesel. The DEF pumps are not a problem, the cost is usually the lowest compared to DEF in a box/jug and it's the freshest possible.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never had an issue with Truckers at truck stops, just go with the flow. Many truck stops as well as gas station have RV specific fueling areas. There are YouTube videos you can watch to see how the truck stop flow works so you don't get anyone mad. I've found the fuel prices are higher at truck stops than typical stations away from the freeways. I use GasBuddy to find fuel and it is interesting to notice the price per gallon, it can vary up to 80 cents per gallon. The risk you take when pulling a trailer is the station you are going to, will it accommodate you and the trailer. I had a few times where I had to keep going and find another station. If you are going to use truck stops, I would get their gas card.

When we are traveling with the 40 foot Montana RV fifth wheel, I run Garmin's RV GPS, it gives you a heads up on sharp road curves, overhead clearances, and more. It turned out to be a good investment.

I didn't notice a difference in towing something shorter like my boat versus the 40 foot Montana. The big, and I mean big difference is backing up. The behavior of a fifth wheel or gooseneck over a bumper pull is extreme. For me, the fifth wheel took a lot of practice learning to back it up. What really helped me was discovering this technique; https://michigantraveler.org/2013/01/22/z-method-for-backing-a-5th-wheel/

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The difference in backing a 5th wheel is night and day. I can put a bumper pull anywhere I want, but my new 5th wheel is a different story! It looks like I've never backed a trailer in my life when I go to back that thing up.

It takes practice, and as mentioned it doesnt cut nearly as sharp when turning. As for fueling, I have found most stations on the interstates are accommodating to large setups, even for the gas pumps which I use.

OP
OP
Tankerpilot01

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
As mentioned yes I prefer “auto” stations over truck stops due to cost. I’m an avid user of gas buddy as well. While still trying to be careful of using a place that would appear to have a high turnover rate of diesel.

It’s going to be an adventure towing this thing 1500 miles!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's always better to make 4 left turns then one right turn. It is not a right to tow a trailer but a priveledge, if a turn is too tight, just don't do it. When I drove a truck many of us would take right turns we probably shouldn't have done. One dude drove from the teft turn lane to make a right turn because he needed to be in that to make the right turn, drove over a cars hood who thought he was turning left and correctly took the right turn lane. But we were bonded and the company was on the line not our personal insurance. Just turn left...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The biggest thing I can say is Remember you've got that extra length/weight, slow down, and take 'er easy. Look before changing lanes, then look a couple more times to be sure. And when you're backing up, remember that you've still got all that length and it doesn't maneuver very well.

I've pulled 24' TTs and 44' toyhaulers and everything in between, with anything from a half-ton to an F450 (by far the best truck for it in certain years - the turning radius on those is RIDICULOUS). If everything is set up right, you'll be fine - just don't forget you're LONG.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
BossHog pretty much nailed it on the head. While truck stops Truck & RV Pumps are more convenient, they are usually 10, 20, sometimes 30 cents more per gallon than other stations. On the other hand if you get a Pilot/Flying J card, you can build up points to get free drinks, food, & showers. Since you are getting an RV it would probably be a good idea to get something like a Good Sam's club card. That can also save you a few cents at the Pilot/Flying J pumps. 5 cents a gallon might not seem like much but when you are buying a 100 gallons a day it can really add up. As others have mentioned, if you are going to do this a lot, get an auxiliary fuel tank! It will more than pay for it's self in the long run.
One thing I didn't notice that others mentioned was that big of a difference when backing up the different trailers. But I grew up on a farm in Iowa so I have pulled many different kinds of trailers. I just have always found the shorter trailers are harder to back up of coarse cause they will turn much quicker so you find yourself correcting more often.
I think as much as you have pulled in the past you should be good. I always get **** about checking my tires, making sure the bearings are well packed with fresh grease, & tow vehicle's PM's are up to date, before I make a long trip.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The biggest thing I can say is Remember you've got that extra length/weight, slow down, and take 'er easy. Look before changing lanes, then look a couple more times to be sure. And when you're backing up, remember that you've still got all that length and it doesn't maneuver very well.

I've pulled 24' TTs and 44' toyhaulers and everything in between, with anything from a half-ton to an F450 (by far the best truck for it in certain years - the turning radius on those is RIDICULOUS). If everything is set up right, you'll be fine - just don't forget you're LONG.
You're not kidding about the f450. Has a wider axle than the 350 so the wheels turn more sharply. 5th wheel pulls way nicer than a bumper pull and turns sharper so you should have no problem maneuvering it. Truck stops require a cardlock card, but filling there is fine. Try to use the outer lanes instead of the lanes with satellite pumps for trucks with tanks on both sides. Regular stations are fine too as many have rv lanes. You will be limited on where you can stop due to parking space. With the amount of fuel you'll use pulling a big trailer an aux tank is definitely a bonus since you can just transfer fuel at a roadside pull out or rest stop.

Spudgunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I watched a YouTube video once where the author filled his RV at the truck fuel pumps. This was at a Flying J/Pilot. He said that these pumps would not take a "regular" credit card. After looking into that I went and obtained a Flying J/Pilot "Charge Card" and it works fine. The menuing system on a Truck pump can be different...at least at Flying J. For instance, you'll get prompted as to whether you are filling a tractor or a tractor and refer. Select Tractor Only unless you happen to be tugging a refer. I'm guessing that this has to do with the sequencing/programming of the pump rather than anything else as a driver might need to hang up the pump handle and pull forward to subsequently fuel their refer. You also have a DEF choice. My experience is that DEF is a lot cheaper from the pump.