Towing Mileage Comparison / Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGTrucks

Reaction score
Currently towing a 4500lb camper with a mid size rated for 7k towing (gas not diesel) at about 85% of gross combined vehicle weight, 9mpg, considering a Ram 1500 or 2500 to see if it might make a difference (thinking 2500 due to the higher max towing to future proof going from a 25ft to possibly 32 or 36 ft closer to 8 to 12k weight camper in the future).

Gas / Diesel tow better from a mileage standpoint?
Would a 2500 offer better mileage (been reading the forums and everyone seems somewhere between 9 to 13/14 mpg regardless of gas/diesel), any advice appreciated.

Edit - towing from Ohio through all the national parks including alaska (ok, not hawaii) but in general yearly 2 week trailer camping trips with the kiddo, plus various weekend (Apr - Oct) camping trips on the east coast. Not terribly dissapointed with what I have was just trying to figure I want a larger truck again anyway and starting to think now / 5 years from now closer to retirement age if it's worth the 2 to 3 mpg and easier time towing over the next 5 years.

Thank you

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO if there is even a remote chance of going to a larger RV, then don't even question 1500 vs. 2500 - go straight to the 2500.

As far as gas vs. diesel, diesel will get better mpg towing and probably empty BUT the fuel is much more expensive and maintenance costs are higher. Diesels also like to be worked, not sit around for long periods and mostly short trips.
Another big factor, is your payload will be higher in the gas truck vs. the diesel truck. Depending on what you get or what you take with you, this might be something to consider.
The 2500 with the 6.4 and 8 speed transmission is a good overall package.
The diesel is also.
There are just differences between them and the diesel will get better mpg, so it really depends on your usage.

How often and what distances are you considering?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When it comes to towing a diesel will win hands down over a gasser, fuel economy and towing mannerisms.
Most of it has to do with where the torque band of the engine is, diesels will be around 2K rpms where engine runs at typical street speeds. A gasser usually needs to run elevated rpms due to the torque band being closer to 4K rpms.
Actual fuel economy will depend on how fast your towing along with the wind resistance of the trailer, the weight of the trailer doesn't really effect economy unless your in a lot of stop/go or climbing grades.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Currently towing a 4500lb camper with a mid size rated for 7k towing (gas not diesel) at about 85% of gross combined vehicle weight, 9mpg, considering a Ram 1500 or 2500 to see if it might make a difference (thinking 2500 due to the higher max towing to future proof going from a 25ft to possibly 32 or 36 ft closer to 8 to 12k weight camper in the future).

Would a 2500 offer better mileage (been reading the forums and everyone seems somewhere between 9 to 13/14 mpg regardless of gas/diesel), any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Gas 1500's generally get far better mpg unloaded vs gas 2500's, and similar mpgs towing unless the 1500 is grossly overloaded.

Keep in mind that a difference of 9 to 14 mpg seems insignificant (2 mpgs or whatever), but an increase of 2 mpg in that range is a savings of 20 percent-ish. In other words, when you only do a few mpgs, every one matters and changes your fuel bill significantly.

If you want a diesel for towing larger trailers, I'd recommend a 3500 instead of the 2500 because diesels in a 2500 very quickly run out of payload. A diesel 2500 will pull your current trailer no problem though, and even many larger ones as long as you're aware of the hit you take on payload vs a gas 2500.

Based on what you wrote there, a 6.4 hemi in a 2500 will tow your current trailer with ease and also give you lots of room to upgrade, while avoiding the potential headaches and costs associated with modern diesels.

Many prefer diesel for other reasons, power is effortless, larger range, can tow heavier loads etc, and those are very valid reasons to go diesel. If you're strictly comparing gas vs diesel and want to know what's cheaper; if they're both capable of pulling your trailer, financially the gasser is always the better choice unless you tow heavy all day every day.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I keep hearing you run out of payload with a diesel, to date I have never ever ran out of payload by having a diesel engine in any of my trucks, my current 2022 2500 CTD has a payload of 2259 lbs, even if I was pulling trailer with a hitch weigh of 1000lb I still would not be all they way out of payload with me, wife, dog & fire wood...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I keep hearing you run out of payload with a diesel, to date I have never ever ran out of payload by having a diesel engine in any of my trucks, my current 2022 2500 CTD has a payload of 2259 lbs, even if I was pulling trailer with a hitch weigh of 1000lb I still would not be all they way out of payload with me, wife, dog & fire wood...

It's just something to keep in mind when comparing diesel to gas in a 2500. A travel trailer is still going to be well within your payload, when you start talking 5w's its where it becomes a problem. 8000 lb 5w with 20% tongue weight is 1600 pounds of payload, + 100 pounds for the hitch, you lost 1700 pounds just connected with no cargo or driver or passengers.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Edit - towing from Ohio through all the national parks including alaska (ok, not hawaii) but in general yearly 2 week trailer camping trips with the kiddo, plus various weekend (Apr - Oct) camping trips on the east coast. Not terribly dissapointed with what I have was just trying to figure I want a larger truck again anyway and starting to think now / 5 years from now closer to retirement age if it's worth the 2 to 3 mpg and easier time towing over the next 5 years.

Thank you
I tow about the same weight, it's a Grand Design imagine XLS21BHE, 4700 lbs empty, 6300lbs maximum gross, at an average cruising speed of 70mph I get around 13 mpg. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the wind, altitude and so on.
My truck is 2016 Ram 3500, 6.7 CTD, high output, Aisin, deleted with a mild EFI live towing tune and 3.42 gears.
I am very pleased with it, enough power to not even feel the camper behind.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had a 2013 1500 5.7 with 3.55's and towed my sons brand new 2018 Grand Design 2670MK. It was off the lot and empty so maybe 7200-7500lbs. Towed it from Pittsburgh to Phillipi, WV and got 8.3 MPG hand calculated. Towed it back loaded up at 8100lbs and got 7.3 MPG. Towing that same TT at 8100lbs with my 2018 2500 6.4 with 4.10's I got 8.5 MPG so got 1 MPG better towing with the 2500 6.4. Empty I got about 1-2 MPG better with the 1500.
This was all hand calculated.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Fuel economy towing is going to be huge win in Diesel over gas as there is more pulling power in the same gallon of fuel. A 25" TT setup well is great with 1500. 32'+ definitely benefits if not requires use of a HD.

When it comes to safety & stability we should talk about axle weight distribution 100 times for everytime we talk about Mfgrs lawyers cover their **** payload sticker number. Sure its the first number to be exceeded its also the most useless number of all spec requirement numbers. White knuckles at 10 & 2 to two fingers driveable is achieved through weight distribution.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Well to compare a Cummins my son also towed that same 8100lb TT with his 2021 2500 Cummins and average 12 MPG towing but that was according to the EVIC, not hand calculated. So yeah if you believe the EVIC it got about 3 MPG better than the 6.4 did.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
White knuckles at 10 & 2 to two fingers driveable is achieved through weight distribution.

While I don't disagree, you're simply kicking the can down the road. The end truth is always this: all else being equal, the gasser will give you more ability to carry stuff, sometimes by 500 to 800 pounds. The sway issue which you correct via WDH is the same problem whether you have gas or diesel, but you'll always be able to carry much more with the gas.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thank you

Go with a 6.4l 2500 prepped for a 5th wheel - plan fo the future!

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
IMO if there is even a remote chance of going to a larger RV, then don't even question 1500 vs. 2500 - go straight to the 2500.

This. I'm good with a half-ton, but my wife and I are empty nesters who are perfectly happy with our little 22' drag-along.

If you have kids or think you want to go out often, then get a 2500. You will eventually need it when you inevitably go shopping for a bigger trailer.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you really want to future proof and have not yet 100% committed to what your next camper is, get a 3500 dually diesel. The last thing you want to do is to be guessing if you are going to have problems because your are exceeding the specs of a truck. Even though advice may be given that spec numbers are artificially low - in the end you are out there all by yourself driving that rig and you are the one affected by your purchasing decision.

I have a 2500 LB CC 6.4 with 3.73, and it is enough for me as I tow the range of trailers my family has. I knew their specs so was sure I had it covered and for me the almost 1k loss in payload plus the cost eliminated a diesel in my 2500. I highly recommend you look for what you would want and settle on that unit before buying a truck. You need the right tool for the job and can't get it if you don't know what the job is. Don't get a framing hammer then want to pound through concrete with it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you really want to plan for the future, get a 3500 Cummins. Opens up a lot of possibilities in the towing world.
Why stop there....
there's always a 5500 or even just straight to a Class 8(you can tag them as an RV)

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
all else being equal, the gasser will give you more ability to carry stuff, sometimes by 500 to 800 pounds.

I don't know about the 5th gen but in the 4th gen the ED weighed 90 pounds more than the Hemi and came with 50 pounds more GVWR.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know about the 5th gen but in the 4th gen the ED weighed 90 pounds more than the Hemi and came with 50 pounds more GVWR.

I was more referring to the 25/3500's.

For the 1500's, did anything change physically in the rear end to support the GVWR?