Towing/Pushing Truck without Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDipDiveDuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there, I recently bought my first truck that I plan to work on. It’s a 4wd 2010 1500. I’d like to have it moved approximately 40 feet forward into a heated bay. I plan to winch/push it in there but I want to make sure I don’t damage anything in the process.

From what I’ve read online, both the transmission and the transfer case need to be in neutral in order to flat tow/push the truck without causing any damage to it.

In the owners manual, starting the engine is part of the procedure for putting the transfer case into neutral. I’m unable to do that though as the engine has already been disconnected from everything and is partially disassembled.

My plan was initially just to put the transmission in neutral and push it, but after reading that, it seems like that would be a big no-no. Would like some advice as it’s my first truck and I definitely don’t want to damage anything. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are on a solid surface, get a hydraulic jack under the rear end, get the wheels off the ground and push it. Works fine in concrete .

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't sweat it, pushing it 40 ft won't hurt anything unless of course you forget to take it out of park...:rolleyes:

The warnings they give are for on the road towing because the trans won't be pumping fluid to lube bushings that will be spinning at road speeds.

OP
OP
D

DodgeDipDiveDuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't sweat it, pushing it 40 ft won't hurt anything unless of course you forget to take it out of park...:rolleyes:

The warnings they give are for on the road towing because the trans won't be pumping fluid to lube bushings that will be spinning at road speeds.
Thanks a lot, that’s good to know. I’ll just put it in neutral and push it in that case. Glad I won’t have to phone a tow company to get it on dollies just to move it all of 40 feet.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
put the tcase in neutral....or both...or pull the driveshafts as has already been said

no more than that I think I'd get a piece of pipe about 5' long, put a bolt thru the hitch pin slot, put the pipe in there, then do the same on a good truck....then use the good truck to push the broke truck inside using the pipe between the hitches...........good truck will be in reverse BTW.

OP
OP
D

DodgeDipDiveDuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BE25C54F-D4DD-450C-9A25-E514AAFFF246.jpeg In the end I put the truck in neutral, then used a sling to tow it part way towards the bay. After that I put a mattress between my truck and the ram and pushed it the rest of the way.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Good job! now you can sleep well knowing your truck is in the garage and hopefully your mattress is back in the house.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 146998 In the end I put the truck in neutral, then used a sling to tow it part way towards the bay. After that I put a mattress between my truck and the ram and pushed it the rest of the way.

I originally was gonna suggest doing like you did with the mattress but with you between the two with your back against the pushing truck and your legs against the broke truck (someone else driving the good truck of course), as I have done that before.....but thought it could become a liability thing if you did it and got hurt.

Yes, I've done a lot of thing like that in my life, that I wouldn't necessarily reccommend others do.