Towing question about weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No
Your truck is sagging very bad in your profile pic. Does it sit that was when normally towing?
No, bars are adjusted lower than normal because I was about to back up in the driveway.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
ProPride dealer installed the WDH.

Moot point now. I traded my 1500 for a 2020 2500 today.

And, it really wasn't sway. It was just wind pushing the trailer around, and not enough truck to control it. Trailer has GY Endurance LRD's on it always aired to 65 PSI, been CAT scaled with it twice to make sure everything was good. It was just too much trailer for the truck. I could safely tow up to about 55 mph, beyond that was white knuckle territory.

We'll see in two weeks how the 2500 does. I'm thinking it'll be a lot better.

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Put your VIN in here ,https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html you will get exact payload capacity for your truck at factory, including all fluids and 1 person maximum 150 pounds.

From the payload number subtract the extra weight for the first person over 150, the weight for all other passengers, any accessories you added like running boards, bed liner or cargo cover, and dealer options added as listed on your window sticker, and the weight of your WDH set including draw bar and sway/load bars. As you can see you will lose payload capacity fast. Whatever is left over can be used for trailer tongue weight. In my experience people will run out of payload long before they reach maximum GCWR. Good luck.

I put my VIN in that site and this is what came back:

upload_2021-4-17_21-51-54.png

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I take their numbers with a large grain of salt. You put 1400 lbs of payload on that truck and she gonna be talkin to ya.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So how does the math work out in terms of the info tron gave you for figuring out remaining tongue weight?
1826 is the maximum amount of weight that the truck can carry after topping off all fluids, and it does include the first 150 pounds of passenger weight. So for example if you have two 200 pound people in truck, your payload remaining is 1576. Let's say you added running boards at 200 pounds, a bed cover at 150 pounds, your hitch is 50 pounds and you have 150 pounds in sway bar and weight distribution bars, your remaining payload is 1026 pounds (in this example the trailer weight would max out at about 6,800 pounds). Also, subtract the stuff under the rear seat, anything you carry in the bed, and you can see how quickly you can run out of payload before reaching the maximum trailer weight as you should estimate (going to CAT scales to verify weights recommended) 15% of trailer weight as tongue weight. In previous numbers retrieved from website above, a 11,726 pound trailer would have a hitch weight of 1,759 pounds, almost the max payload to begin with.

Bottom line, get the right tool for the job you are doing. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So this is the camper specs that we are looking at now.

Len: 25' 10"
dry weight: 5400lbs
hitch weight: 780lbs
WD Hitch: ?

Passenger weight max: 500 lbs but more typically 350 or less.

As far as the truck, the only additional weight I've added are running boards. We would probably not be carrying a ton of extra stuff (usually just going fishing for a long weekend).

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dditional weight I've added are running boards. We would probably not be carrying a ton of extra stuff (usually just going fishing for a lo
So this is the camper specs that we are looking at now.

Len: 25' 10"
dry weight: 5400lbs
hitch weight: 780lbs
WD Hitch: ?

Passenger weight max: 500 lbs but more typically 350 or less.

As far as the truck, the only additional weight I've added are running boards. We would probably not be carrying a ton of extra stuff (usually just going fishing for a long weekend).
Sounds a lot like my second trailer. I think you'd have more than enough truck for it. Get a decent WD kit. My dad has a similar sized camper and he likes the equalizer. Tows it from Florida to NY twice a year.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Not that I give a Rats Patootie what anyone thinks but yes my fiver is a superlite under 9K.

Not like I gave damn about you or your family. Harm me or mine because your stupid and I'll be glad to demonstrate just how laws do not protect people.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Just FWIW call it perspective. I am a transporter contracted with TT Mfgrs. Towing TTs Mfgrs to dealerships year round continental US with my 1/2 ton diesel pick up sheesh about 7 years 800,000 miles. No accidents no citations many scale houses and a few DOT surprise inspections. In fact never had a broken axle or anything like that.

What kills me about all these threads is the focus. It's on the wrong thing. If the first priority is setting up a safe stable tow then the focus should be on what in fact concretely determines and provides that. I know that the Mfgrs lawyers cover your **** payload sticker number is normally the first number to be exceeded. That said it along with a few other things is a SECONDARY consideration when the goal is to set up a safe stable even "legal" tow.

If its a light trailer say 7k wet or less but more than 5k where the truck Mfgrs suggest using a WDH. Then sure simple measurements per your WDH Mfgr will suffice to get you in the ball park and she will tow well. Likely safe solid turns and stops fine. If the wet weight is over 7k then for stability and safety of everyone's family we should be talking about using triple scales such as CAT or other truck stop scales. We should FIRST and as a focus be talking about knowing your trucks unloaded steer and drive axle weights to determine actual loaded (WDH IE dynamic) tongue weight. FIRST be talking about replacing your loaded with TT truck steer axle weight. FIRST be talking about tongue weight / percentage for sway control. FIRST be talking about max drive axle weight.

After thats been optimised a bit we can see where we are at with regards to GVWR, CVWR, max receiver weight. IF we are capable of distributing the weight to stay within Mfgr maximum specs for all these things. Then we can adjust what we can with WDH and truck and trailer loading to not exceed GVWR if that is a priority to you.

More importantly to safety & stability you can concretely using scales and Mfgr max spec numbers take some boarderline and over the limit loads/trailers and redistribute them to be within spec or legal as some see it. You can adjust for maximum stability & safety. You can even often take this kind of load from "white knuckle" to two fingers driveable. All this is only secondarily connected to the payload sticker number but directly affectable with axle weights & tongue weight.

Stacking up weight guesstimates towards a payload sticker does nothing for determining if or making a tow safe stable even "legal" as some see it.

As to OP with his original trailer. With a WDH he should be golden as in legal & stable. As to other people who say I moved up to an HD so you should to.. And want to say my truck could not handle x trailer and it was set up great.. but can't produce their steer axle weight, drive axle weight, the info needed to determine accurate tongue weight let alone provide accurate tongue weight. Well there is lots of them and they are like the blind leading the blind.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I give a Rats Patootie what anyone thinks but yes my fiver is a superlite under 9K.
Don't let these tailwaggers bother you. A fiver is the easiest towing and safest in cross winds and freeway semi winds. Go for it and enjoy.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Plus my fat a$$, the boss lady, the princess daughter unit and a 90lbs puppy(yes, 90lbs right now)......and the little mutt the wife has.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
lol. When we towed my step-sons TT back it was me, him, and his uncle. The 3 of us combined was about 700lbs