Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just returned from 600+ mile round trip to the hills of North Carolina and Virginia. 2019 Laramie 5.7 with 3.92s towing 6000lbs 22' TT. No problems at all except the 11 mpg which I probably shouldn't complain about at all. Encountered severe wind warnings while in NC with some estimated 40+ mph gust that had little effect on us. I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch that seemed to work flawlessly. I did purchase and installed a Roadmaster Quiet Hitch anti-rattle clamp that seems to have minimized the porpoising I experienced when I first purchased our trailer. The air ride leveling system and tow/haul mode make it so the only reason you know the trailer is back there is because you can't accelerate as fast and the highway gas mileage goes from 19 to 11 mpg.
I also experienced the same lack of knowledge about trucks from the seven different RAM dealers I dealt with. They just didn't seem to understand the difference between 3.21 and 3.92 differential gears and why I was so adamant about wanting the 3.92s. Even when I showed them in the RAM specification manuals that the 3.92s give you about a ton of more towing capacity and I intend to go through major mountain ranges when I camp, it didn't seem to click. Ended up buying my truck sight unseen from a dealer 2 states away that had it listed on their website.

I'm looking for a new truck right now and several nice salesmen have offered to find the truck I'm looking for. Once I send them my list of requirements (including 3.92's) I generally never hear from them again.

OP
OP
Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Completed my 1200 mile trip from Florida to Michigan yesterday morning. I drove pretty much straight through (2 hour nap in Ohio and numerous stops for gas and my pit stops ). Piece of cake hauling my 20' v-nose car trailer with my Camaro in it. Plenty of big trucks passing and being passed, running through heavy rain with wind gusts when going through the cold front. The truck handled fine never wagged or got moved around when passing big trucks. I feel the 22's help a lot with the stability. No sidewall flex. Most of the time the truck was in 6th gear (2400ish rpm). 5th gear running up hills and 7th when going down and light throttle on flats. I haven't bothered to calculate mileage but this thing sucks it down as fast as my old EcoBoost. It was probably about 9 mpg with me running around 70 mph.