Towing speeds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I buy trailer tires with a higher speed rating than the stock ones it came with that were limited at 65.

And considering OEM tires are generally junk on most travel trailers (except new Jaycos as they’re running Goodyear Endurance rubber), that’s a good idea! Heck, that even applies to our Rams (think Goodyear SRAs and Firestone Transforce ATs).

TXCOMT

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This is all funny to me. My dad thinks 75 is too fast and 65 is just right. My grandfather thought 65 was too fast and 55 was just right. I am sure my great grand father would have though 55 was too fast and 45 was just right.

I generally tow my RV between 65 and 75 depending on how I feel at the time, what conditions I am towing in, and if I am in a hurry to get to camp before nightfall so I don't have to back in and hook up the trailer in the dark. I buy trailer tires with a higher speed rating than the stock ones it came with that were limited at 65.

Do the math for your trip. If you are under 60 miles away you aren’t saving much time by speeding. For a 200-250 mile trip it may mean the difference between needing to stop and fuel up before you get there. That negates any perceived time savings you got by driving faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just did a 108 mile trip from medicine bow to cheyenne. Cleared the odo as I got to the foot hills to get a truer reading on the "flat" area. This includes the 8000ft Laramie summit.
65-70 @ 1500rpm 6200#
70419481_3205648642808854_7778460346020265984_n.jpg .

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Do the math for your trip. If you are under 60 miles away you aren’t saving much time by speeding. For a 200-250 mile trip it may mean the difference between needing to stop and fuel up before you get there. That negates any perceived time savings you got by driving faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont really care about savings. I care about getting the 160 mile trip down to the coast over and done with before night fall. The thirty extra minutes is thirty extra minutes I don't have a cold beer in my hand.

If I run 65 then I run in 5th to keep the rpms above 1,800 rpm. If I run 75 then I can run it in 6th gear and stay close to 1,800 rpm. The fuel mileage isn't that much of a difference in my diesel. I still get above 10 mpg either way which is fine with me.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
There were so many good responses in this thread I couldn't stop and quote em all! Good job guys!

- most trailer tires are speed rated to 65mph. Exceed that for too long and they'll get hot, overheat and blow.....and cause a ton of damage to your rig

- even if you have higher speed rated tires, you have to account for stopping distance, emergency maneuvers, etc.....the higher the speed the less and less time you have to react and stop a combined weight many times in excess of 10k lbs. Simply put you must always be cognizant of the weights and mass behind you. Slow down and enjoy the trip.

- I tow 55-60 and last trip averaged nearly 11mpg with my 6.4/3.73 geared truck, in m5 and tow/haul on. I take my time and stay in the right lane and let the idioits blow by me. Seen a ton of TTs on the side of the road with blowouts...or worse rubber side up....who passed me a few miles prior doing 75-80. Ignorance or stupidity...take your pick...I'm just glad I know better.

- it's a very good idea to upgrade your trailer tires to a higher load range then you need for more reserve capacity. I run load range Ds and have had them on 6 yrs now and they look like new yet. It's a more robust, better constructed tire. I park on wood and keep em covered. I've also been very careful not to curb them, ever. Curb a tire and it'll create a weak spot on the sidewall that could eventually lead to a failure.

As to the OPs question....you'll need to drive slower with any trailer in tow and expect around 10 mpg towing. Remember it's not a speed contest. Take your time and enjoy the tow as I do. Getting there safely is part of the trip and I just love getting out on the highway for a road trip with my rig. Great memories...

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So just because someone tows above 65 mph they are either ignorant or stupid? I have had blow outs doing less than 65 mph probably because the tires were over three years old and sitting in one position for a long time. This has more of an effect on blow outs versus driving 75 mph in my experience.

This is the reason why I get new tires every three to four years on my RV and just transfer them to other trailers on the farm that do not go as far or as fast. This is also the reason why I fill my RV tires with nitrogen so the pressure does not fluctuate so much with temperatures.

When deciding what speed to run, there are many things I consider like traffic, outside temp, weather, and so on. It is far from my first rodeo and know when to back off. So don't be calling people stupid or ignorant just because they like to tow at a higher speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blanked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 6.4
Engine
So just because someone tows above 65 mph they are either ignorant or stupid? I have had blow outs doing less than 65 mph probably because the tires were over three years old and sitting in one position for a long time. This has more of an effect on blow outs versus driving 75 mph in my experience.

This is the reason why I get new tires every three to four years on my RV and just transfer them to other trailers on the farm that do not go as far or as fast. This is also the reason why I fill my RV tires with nitrogen so the pressure does not fluctuate so much with temperatures.

When deciding what speed to run, there are many things I consider like traffic, outside temp, weather, and so on. It is far from my first rodeo and know when to back off. So don't be calling people stupid or ignorant just because they like to tow at a higher speed.

If your not repacking your wheel bearings each time you change your tires your pushing your luck.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If your not repacking your wheel bearings each time you change your tires your pushing your luck.

That is done per the owners manual every 10k miles on my 5ver. My cattle trailer and gooseneck are full floaters.

I will say another thing that will have an effect on how fast you can go if you are pulling a bumper pull RV is the weight distribution. Many bumper pulls are light in the front and heavy in the back to lighten up the tongue weight for half tons. This causes a lot of sway at higher speeds. I can pull my 5ver at 70 or even 75 with no sway, but my brothers bumper pull will start to sway bad if you go over 65.

Last edited:

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I get problems with people riding up my tail when I tow. This happens on two lane roads in TX. The speed limit is 75 in most areas. Initially, I would keep it at 65 (stock trailer tires). When upgraded the trailer tires, the speed rating went up to 81 and load went up to a range to D (Carlisle HD). I will go 70 now when needed.

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towing my travel trailer I usually tow between 60-65 anything more is just sucking extra fuel for nothing. also as many others have said the majority of trailer tires are only speed rated at 65, one big factor on trailer tires is proper inflation.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know I have always heard people say that, yet I cannot find any documentation of that as fact.

I do know trailer tires can ONLY be used on trailers as they are not designed for car use. They will wear out very very quickly on any turning axle.

I have been running LT tires on tandem and single axle trailers for over a decade and they last much longer than trailer tires, are not as prone to dry rot either.

Current trailer is a single axle 6000# capacity though.
Mind you I am not running a light car tire, and always a tire with a much higher load rating than the axle capacity.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
You can actually run ST tires faster than 65 mph if you can inflate them another 10 psi if the wheel and tire permits it. Most often, it is the fancy wheel you have that is the limiting factor.

"Here is some additional information taken from a Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Product Service Bulletin, PSB #2011-13.

This bulletin provides important information to help your customers obtain the best performance from “Special Trailer” tires. Please review the following important points with your trailer tire customers. Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires: Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

• Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
  • Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
  • If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
  • The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

I believe that many feel that 65 mph is the safest speed you can tow in because of this 65 mph industry standard for ST tires. It is what they were told so that is what they do. They don't have any data supporting it so it is purely an opinion based on what the way they have always done things.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Towing my travel trailer I usually tow between 60-65 anything more is just sucking extra fuel for nothing. also as many others have said the majority of trailer tires are only speed rated at 65, one big factor on trailer tires is proper inflation.

Very good point I left out. Yes. I always air my trailer tires to the maximum sidewall stated pressure cold before a trip. Under inflated tires will also heat up faster and are more blowout prone.

Thanks for posting that.

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure
Very good point I left out. Yes. I always air my trailer tires to the maximum sidewall stated pressure cold before a trip. Under inflated tires will also heat up faster and are more blowout prone.

Thanks for posting that.
Sure no problem, also a properly set up weight distributing hitch makes a huge difference too, your trailer should be about level when hitched to the truck and the truck should have minimal squat so as not to overload any of the tires. I use a trunnion bar WD hitch set-up and also air lift 1000 airbags to keep everything level and in tow straight.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
  • Not saying I would tow at 87mph, But i do 65-70 with a 3200 lb trailer, and E load and N speed tires. Some places On I-10 in TX have 85mph limits, gotta worry about getting rear ended at 55mph. Three years or less on trailer tires for my rv trailer, then rotate to the boat or car hauler short local towing.
  • Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E
    Item # 724857519

• Fits: 15" x 6", 15" x 6-1/2", and 15" x 7" rims
  • Tire size: ST225/75R15
    • Section width: 8.78"
    • Overall diameter: 28.31"
  • Capacity:
    • Load range: E
    • Ply rating: 10
    • Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi
  • Tread depth: 8/32"
  • Maximum speed: 87 mph (speed rating N)