Towing speeds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone questioned the ST vrese LT tire on trailers:
ST have stiffer sidewall for decreased flex (resist trailer sway), larger steel wire, and resist rolling under the rim while turning (i.e.tandem and greater axle trailer)
https://www.fateunbound.com/trailer-tires-vs-light-truck-tires/
"Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company stated, “The major difference is reflected in the polyester cords used in ST tires. These cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable P or LT tire. Typically, the steel wire also has a larger diameter or greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements. Because of the heavier construction for an equal volume of air space, an ST tire is designated to carry more load than a P or LT tire.”"
"T tires are designed for a limited amount of rolling resistance"
https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

The tires on the new 5th wheel, where most likely under inflate from sitting in a lot. Air pressure is the most important part of a trailer tire as an under inflated tire heats up faster, will lead to a blow out quicker then a properly inflated tire, particularly when running at speeds well above recommended tire speed. If you think about it they say to increase air pressure if running ST at higher speed as this decreases rolling resistance and allows the tire to run cooler at that speed....Resistance causes heat, heat increase molecular activity in the tire compound and the air in the tire and can result in uncontrolled increase in air pressure. Somethings go to give and metal does not give as easy as rubber.

These are the tires I run, they have the stiffest sidewall I have ever seen in a tire - you literally cannot push the sidewall in (even unmounted) more than a fraction of an inch.
They have more capacity than my axle is rated for and significantly more than the load on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65R6RH12&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Not big fan of ST tires,
I used Europe van tire rate about 90 mph, it bit cost, Last about 5 years,
Lt tire are good as well,

I have 3/4 ton W/6.4 gas and tow 4000lbs TT, I pull it about 8000 to 10000 miles a year , sorry 55/60 mph is to slow and unsafe on open road cars are going 70 to 85 mph they come up on you too fast,

I normally keep 65/70 mph ,
But Keep in few things in mind,
is trailer in good condition,?
Are tire right psi ,?
The hitch loaded right ??,
Is truck tow rate lot more than trailer?
( brake on truck ez stop trailer if need)

So you’re tow 8000/ 10000 lbs trailer w
1/2 ton maybe 55/60 mph is best.
Or you not tow a trailer a lot,
Hitch loaded not right or not sure,

As for mpg,
If going buy truck main to pull a trailer
Pulling a 3/4 ton get same mpg as 1/2.
In gasoline, 3/4 as big brakes, big transmission, most likely big motor,
Safety,!!!

New gasoline motor can pull up to 8000 lbs, all day every day,
Over 8000 lbs on regular basis ,Diesel,
But Diesel are cost too,
Buy , DMV, Diesel, PM, fixed,
your looking at $20,000,
Willie 2 cent,

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not how fast can you pull your trailer, but rather hoe fast can you stop it. I pull 6700# with 2017 ram 1500 w/5.7 hemi, 3:92 diff and 8 sp. top speed is 62, usually about 60. Believe me, that's fast enough!
That is pretty much the same set-up I have my trailer is slightly heavier but the truck is the same exact thing and that is about what I tow at too, anything more than that and the truck drops to about 7 or 8 mpg instead of 10-11mpg. And yes everything moving has to be stopped even with perfectly working trailer brakes it still takes tim to stop all the moving mass.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not so much the tires but just as much as it is the wheel brg....People don't realize that when to slam the weight to them,put a Lil more air in the and run them to fast it's all a matter of time when BOOOOM!!
They don't even notice the trl swaying like a flag in the wind..

James Bove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am amazed at people towing 75- 80 in the fast lane theses days. This was unheard of 30 years ago and now it’s the norm. Doesn’t anyone pay attention to the trailer tire blow outs due to heat?
The tires on my fifth wheel are LRE and Temp range B, 100 - 115mph, with a manufaturer recommended max speed of 81. Yes there are trailer tires rated for highspeed . I tow mine cross country several two to four times a year at speeds up to 80 and I've never had a blowout. Maybe they just aren't choosy about what tire they buy? My bumper pull has had 3 blowouts all within minutes of the house at speeds under 60. They were rated B as well but also all cracked out and really old. I don't two it much it's my hunting rig so I just towed to failure.

08RamKenny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no words for these idiots that do this. Less words for the dumb butts that do 10 below the speed limit in the fast lane! Ugh!

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am amazed at people towing 75- 80 in the fast lane theses days. This was unheard of 30 years ago and now it’s the norm. Doesn’t anyone pay attention to the trailer tire blow outs due to heat?

You know what else was unheard of 30 years ago? A stock v8 making nearly 400 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's comparing an apple to an orange.

Yes tires and brakes have improved, but they are still basically the same. My rig is an 89 and the electric brakes on it are the same design as a 2020 as far as I know.

What hasn't changed is weight and mass and the ability to stop it safely in an emergency. Yes, we have better wdh now, etc, but it still takes basically the same distance to stop X weight at X speed.

Speed kills especially when you have 10,000+ lbs your trying to stop. But by all means, it's a free country, drive like you want to. Everything comes at a price... sometimes that price is big.

I'm a former LEO and have seen the ramifications of poor choices first hand. Things I wish I could un-see. Things I pray my kids never have to see.

I'll take my time towing. It's serious business and should be treated as such.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That's comparing an apple to an orange.

Yes tires and brakes have improved, but they are still basically the same. My rig is an 89 and the electric brakes on it are the same design as a 2020 as far as I know.

What hasn't changed is weight and mass and the ability to stop it safely in an emergency. Yes, we have better wdh now, etc, but it still takes basically the same distance to stop X weight at X speed.

Speed kills especially when you have 10,000+ lbs your trying to stop. But by all means, it's a free country, drive like you want to. Everything comes at a price... sometimes that price is big.

I'm a former LEO and have seen the ramifications of poor choices first hand. Things I wish I could un-see. Things I pray my kids never have to see.

I'll take my time towing. It's serious business and should be treated as such.

So what is the safest speed based on your data as a LEO? 45? 55? 65? 75? Is the speed the same for all trucks or is your opinion that the older trucks with much smaller brakes go slower since today's trucks can stop with a load than the old trucks from decades ago could unloaded.

The safest speed to tow at is all subjective since there is no real data showing that towing 10k at 65 mph is X times safer than towing at 70 or 75 mph. People also make this opinion based on older trucks that had much smaller less efficient brakes and did not have things such as stability control(which is mandated by US Gov on all 2012+ vehicles). Over 20 years ago, most DRW one tons were barely rated to tow 10-12k. Now they are rated to tow three times that and I have the same braking system these trucks have towing my 13-14k camper.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Last I checked Physics and their laws still exist and apply to everything. So yeah there are 400hp stock engines and better tires and brakes. But it still takes a lot to stop/control 10,000+ lbs at speed. Easier to control when you are driving slower.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Arsenal 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

66RFE/68RFE Thermo Bypass Valve Install

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Redline 5W-30 RP 10-48
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suppose it all depends, right? Weather, traffic, etc. Generally I stay right and keep near the speed limit. I will pull out and pass the incompetent drive going 10-15 under if conditions allow.

I do wonder about the truck and trailer that won’t yield the fast lane when being passed on the right. I also wonder about the truck and trailer weaving in and out of semi heavy traffic especially when said truck is obviously overloaded.

That is different of course to the properly loaded truck and trailer on an open and lonely stretch of deserted stretch of interstate.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Last I checked Physics and their laws still exist and apply to everything. So yeah there are 400hp stock engines and better tires and brakes. But it still takes a lot to stop/control 10,000+ lbs at speed. Easier to control when you are driving slower.

Physics is still the same, but with new stability programs that are able to brake individual wheels is something the old trucks could not do. And bigger brakes decrease the stopping distance dramatically compared to older trucks.

These stability systems make the most beginner of drivers look like Mario Andretti on the tracks where I am from, and it keeps the truck and trailer straight when braking which is a requirement of the SAE J2807 tow standard.

I guess it all comes to this....

The guys driving 75 think the others need to get with the times.

The guys who drive 65 think the guys driving 75 are crazy.

The guys who drive 55 think the guys driving 65 are crazy and the guys driving 75 are idiots.

The guys driving 45 think the guys driving 55 are crazy, the guys that drive 65 are idiots, and the guys driving 75 just organ donors.

Last edited: