Towing TT w/ Bike Pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any experience towing a TT with bikes on a bike pad?? Enough clearance to do so??

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Im going to say NO... with my TT hooked up, i can not open the bed to let the pooches in and out. i have to support the tailgate with my knee but it is only opened 45deg. it will hit the jack if not. You could load them in the bed, attach TT, then go to big parking lot with a helper, put the bikes on and backup and have the helper watch.

conversely, bought some axle mounts. then, i took a sheet of plywood cut the shape of behind the wheel well, to the tail gate. then mounted the axle mounts to it. the wheels come off, and forks get mounted and all under the cover of my canopy.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I presume you're talking about motorcycles or dirt bikes, and I would say no, not a good idea. Apparently some guys can open their tailgates all the way without hitting the jack on their TT, but I think it depends on the TT. I can't open mine fully, it will hit the jack, and I have an extended-drop drawbar because a standard one wouldn't get everything level.

Now, with my flatbed, I CAN drop the tailgate fully if the handle is to the back. But you're asking about travel trailers, so this is apples to oranges.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Alot of people post very vaguely. A simple explanation could get you alot quicker to a good answer.

Since you say bike pad...i am ASSUMING you mean pedal bikes and you will have the front tire draped over your tailgate on the bike pad?

The answer to this is yes...if your hitch or tongue combination are long enough.

But it will be very specific to your actual setup.

So basically...you need to give more info.

My 99 with the 2 inch hitch I use in it...would not allow me to turn very tight with bikes over the tailgate. However...with the 2.5 inch hitch I had to buy for my 2015...the extra length of it would allow me to turn tight with bikes over the tailgate.

So I could do it with my 2015...but my 99 and 03 could not. But I could get a longer shank hitch for them and they could.

Good times

OP
OP
regal81455

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alot of people post very vaguely. A simple explanation could get you alot quicker to a good answer.

Since you say bike pad...i am ASSUMING you mean pedal bikes and you will have the front tire draped over your tailgate on the bike pad?

The answer to this is yes...if your hitch or tongue combination are long enough.

This is what I was after. My apologies. The Dakine pad I bought should be here today. Hopefully I'll find things are far enough back that I can get the swing I need. I have no issue taking the bikes out before a tight back-in. I just don't want any issues going down the road.

I would haul them on the trailer itself somewhere but I've exhausted all the usual locations already.

If it doesn't work out then oh well, at least I'll still have a way to haul the bikes around on local adventures.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I assume you already have the hitch also?

If not...get one with an extended shank.

If you already have it...then I guess you just get to try. I would say it will work for normal highway towing. But, you never know what you may come to getting into a campground.

Like I mentioned. My 99 and 03 would work getting to the campground probably fine. My 2015 would be a non issue.

How many bikes? If you can...try to keep them as near center as possible...easy with one or two...obviously not with 3 or 4 lol

OP
OP
regal81455

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the WDH came with the trailer. It's a husky centerline. We would only be bringing two bikes with us but they are 4" fat tire bikes.

I thought I was going to get the pad today but appears it's not going to be till tomorrow now. Just have to see how it goes I guess.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
If it doesn't work behind the tailgate, there are 'camper receiver hitches' that attach to the camper's bumper...I put one on my camper...

OP
OP
regal81455

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it doesn't work behind the tailgate, there are 'camper receiver hitches' that attach to the camper's bumper...I put one on my camper...

Yeah, I'm aware problem is then I have to find a new spot for the spare tire that's already mounted back there. It may come to mounting the spare underneath somewhere though. I got the pad yesterday and loaded the bikes. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I haven't had a chance to hook the trailer to it and check but just looking I think it will work but I'm going to lose basically the entire bed and that may not be acceptable.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
Yeah, I'm aware problem is then I have to find a new spot for the spare tire that's already mounted back there. It may come to mounting the spare underneath somewhere though. I got the pad yesterday and loaded the bikes. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I haven't had a chance to hook the trailer to it and check but just looking I think it will work but I'm going to lose basically the entire bed and that may not be acceptable.
I found an 18"-24" extension that helped clear my spare...I did have to move the spare a little bit between CL and left tail light/trailer tag...

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7

Attachments

• 20210705_064408~2.jpg
    20210705_064408~2.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beware that many camper bumpers are not strong enough to hold bike racks. My bumper peeled down from the weight and I had to reinforce it.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those look great. I made my own system. If I had seen those I may have changed my design.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I believe your spare is likely mounted with the squared-off u-bolts. That can easily be loosened and moved to one side or another. The spare on my trailer IS offset already, because my hot water heater is back there as well. I could, if I wanted, put a bike rack back there (and I've considered it).

OP
OP
regal81455

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I'm aware of the forces put on the bumper and the need for reinforcement with those or similar struts but thank you nonetheless. My biggest concern with a slight shift in the spare is that it will cover one of the tail lights. I'm thinkin' I'll just remount it to the undercarriage somewhere somehow if I go this route.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I'm aware of the forces put on the bumper and the need for reinforcement with those or similar struts but thank you nonetheless. My biggest concern with a slight shift in the spare is that it will cover one of the tail lights. I'm thinkin' I'll just remount it to the undercarriage somewhere somehow if I go this route.
My spare is factory mounted under the trailer tongue. I'm sure they have aftermarket kits to do that.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Those are great and not priced too bad either, if you consider the time involved to drive to lowes or a metal fab shop, time to build your own supports, the cost of paint and the hardware costs it's not too bad.

If you have steel scrap, paint and bolts laying around, maybe not. But I like those. Thanks LR