Towing TT with golf cart in bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone do this I assume so but haven't seen anything. If so how do you do it? Bed extender? Take tailgate off? I have the short bed. Also thought about a small trailer behind the tt but that's more than I want to deal with.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Pretty sure you will be way over payload with that. Payload on that truck is likely about 1300-1400lbs (check the yellow sticker inside your door). Typical 25'ish TT will probably have close to 1000lbs of tongue weight leaving very little left over. Even a 2500 Cummins would probably be close to maxed out with a golf cart in the back.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree.
Golf carts weigh around 900 to 1000 lbs. That doesn't leave much payload for tongue weight.

What is your payload and what does your cart weigh?

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes its past payload I know that. However as I do appreciate the concern that wasnt my question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don’t tow a travel trailer with the tailgate down.

If it won’t fit with the tailgate up, you are going to have more issues.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone do this I assume so but haven't seen anything. If so how do you do it? Bed extender? Take tailgate off? I have the short bed. Also thought about a small trailer behind the tt but that's more than I want to deal with.
Payload is not the issue (since there’s no laws against being over payload, and that number has nothing to do with anything when you’re hooked up to a trailer). It’s the fact that carts are almost 8’, and would hit the tongue jack on the TT in turns. I can’t even lower the tailgate on my truck with the TT hooked up, and I’m not sure if there’s many TT out there that the tongue jack sits far back enough to clear the tailgate being down in all situations. I hauled the cart around all the time with the TT on my last truck with an 8’ bed, and when I ordered my current truck, not getting the 8’ bed is my biggest regret.
Hauling it on a trailer behind a bumper pull TT would definitely be illegal, although it is perfectly legal pulling it behind a fifth wheel.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How do you figure payload doesn’t matter when towing a trailer of any sort?

What do you think the tongue weight of the trailer goes against?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How do you figure payload doesn’t matter when towing a trailer of any sort?

What do you think the tongue weight of the trailer goes against?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Because first of all, the payload number doesn’t matter to begin with. It’s just a number left over from the GVWR and the actual weight of the truck. Once you hook up to a trailer, you are now a combo vehicle, and all that matters is all the gross axle weight ratings, and the tire weight ratings. Obviously, assuming you register the truck and trailer with your state for the correct weight ratings it will be used for.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Payload is not the issue (since there’s no laws against being over payload, and that number has nothing to do with anything when you’re hooked up to a trailer). It’s the fact that carts are almost 8’, and would hit the tongue jack on the TT in turns. I can’t even lower the tailgate on my truck with the TT hooked up, and I’m not sure if there’s many TT out there that the tongue jack sits far back enough to clear the tailgate being down in all situations. I hauled the cart around all the time with the TT on my last truck with an 8’ bed, and when I ordered my current truck, not getting the 8’ bed is my biggest regret.
Hauling it on a trailer behind a bumper pull TT would definitely be illegal, although it is perfectly legal pulling it behind a fifth wheel.

What state allows overloaded trucks ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What state allows overloaded trucks ?
Can you post me a link to any state’s ordinance/traffic code that says you can not be over your vehicle’s door sticker GVWR, and what the penalty is if you are?
Edit: Oh, and keep in mind we’re talking about recreational towing, not commercial.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok all laws aside, how about loss of steering when your front wheels barely touch the ground.

Let's look at your reasoning, it's ok to tow with an unsafe set up potentially putting other lives at risk because you feel technically your not breaking any laws? Your a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Ok all laws aside, how about loss of steering when your front wheels barely touch the ground.

Let's look at your reasoning, it's ok to tow with an unsafe set up potentially putting other lives at risk because you feel technically your not breaking any laws? Your a disaster waiting to happen.

And think about the old guy (could be me lol) who pulls out in front of you after it just starts to rain.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Now that laws against it can’t be found, we move on to hyperboles.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And think about the old guy (could be me lol) who pulls out in front of you after it just starts to rain.
But someone that is “under loaded” or not towing anything at all couldn’t possibly collide with you in that situation?

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So now that the **** measuring is over I have 5k bags so the ur front end will be to the moon theory can be dropped. I really like this site but sometimes ppl aren't looking for an opinion they are looking for actual experience. Mods feel free to close this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.