Towing upgrades for 3.6 pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I want to try just about everything to avoid having to dish out $$$ for a v8 in today's used truck market.

The situation: 2013 1500 quad cab 3.6 pentastar 2WD w/tow package 3.55 pulling ~7,000lbs boat

I and a few friends who own v8 trucks are surprised how it handles the heavy load. However, I cannot imagine towing the boat from where I live in Pompano Beach, FL to the Florida keys or to the west coast of Florida. I pull the boat out of slipper ramps in low tide. I do have some good 20” sumitomo A/T snow rated tires which help.

Am I crazy by thinking I can pull this off for much longer assuming I:

-Upgrade from 3.55 to 3.92 or 4.10

-upgrade to all aluminum radiator(in progress since the factory one just broke)

-get a tuner to calibrate gears and tune motor

-eliminate the freakn’ Active Grill Shutters.

-Air shocks to eliminate the squat

Any thoughts? Especially regarding the final drive.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Final drive change will be a good bang for your buck.

There is another guy on here who added a supercharger to his, and seems to be having good luck with it, though I think ultimately he plans to get a V8 truck in the future. If you search the forum I think it's just a few posts down.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You could dump all that money and parts into the truck and "maybe" feel a little difference or you could spend that money on a bigger truck. Personally I don't think you would be happy after dumping that money into the current truck so in the end it's money wasted.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Nothing wrong with a V6 RAM. When used inside its ratings. You get outside them...there is a reason there is an optional V8 and then HD trucks.

That said. Right now the truck market is stupid. I keep hoping no one hits mine...i can not replace it right now.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What problem are you trying to solve ? Money burning a hole in your pocket ? ;)
I had a V6/3.55 and it moved a 6400 lbs travel trailer just fine, with the caveat that the engine was revving high for extended times on mountain grades. Florida isn't known for mountains so if it tows fine locally it won't be that different on a longer trip. I'd give it a try first before sinking any money in it.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Right on 392devildog. My colleague has a supercharged jeep and it's wicked for a v6. I remember 20K would get be a decent used truck. Good luck with that now.

I completely understand the no replacement for displacement theory. But, $2,000 or less doesn't compare from a value perspective in today's truck market where I will likely spend 30-40K. I just want the job done even if it means mods.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I am trying to solve a durability problem. Yes, I am technically within ratings. However, I don't see many people hauling boats with an N/A v6 truck.

Therefore, I am eager to mod any system in the truck to gain leverage or tow capacity ratio; longevity, etc.

ram_boat.jpg

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The V6 is arguably the "better" engine given that it is a much more modern design (DOHC with individual cam phasers, 4 valve/cylinder) and they are pretty robust. It is more of a high revving design though and that's not ideal for a truck application. Along the lines of your thinking of reducing high load I ended up trading for a Hemi (I do climb to over 6000ft quite frequently). However with it came a significant drop in MPG both unloaded and when towing.
Seeing what looks to be oversized tires lower gearing would help reduce stress on the drivetrain. Expensive if the truck is a 4WD. Performance mods are not going to reduce stress on components so I'd stay away from those.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Wel noted with thanks!

I have sumitomo 285/60/20's. The wheels came with the truck when I purchased it. I was opting for factory wheels but these wheels had new tires at the time.

Anyhow, 3.92 vs 4.10 thoughts?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The facts are that you are significantly over all of your weight ratings and you essentially need to build a heavier duty truck out if what you own. Understanding today's truck environment, for your needs you are much better off taking the hit on the right truck. Every upgrade you mention could just lead you back here typing "I changed this, now I have this problem". And most of them, like bags for squat, don't fix the underlying problem so would just be wasted money. I am only being honest and not wanting you to go down the modification path and potentially waste money, as I see it. Good luck whatever path you take.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyhow, 3.92 vs 4.10 thoughts?
To avoid possible buyers remorse about switching the axle ratio, you can probably find a 3.92 axle at a salvage yard that will bolt in. The axle is the same regardless of the engine. If your going to spend the $$ on having the gears swapped go 4.10.
You'll want to use air bags vs air shocks.
If your towing within Florida as someone else pointed out it's pretty much flat there shouldn't be any issues towing the boat all over the state. The engine may rev more but that typical of a gas engine and not going to hurt anything, if you want to tow at 2K rpms then buy a diesel.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gear swap won't help, especially just going to a 3.92. Instead of sitting in 5th at 3000 RPMs, he'll be in 6th at 3000 RPMs. The engine needs to rev to a certain RPMs in order to deliver power at a given speed, the transmission (regardless of gearing) will downshift and downshift until he is at those RPMs. Changing the rear gear doesn't change the fact that he needs to be at 3000 rpms, it just changes what numerical gear you are in at 3000 RPMs.

So no, defintely don't waste money on a gear swap. The v6 is not a tow engine, it's not even a truck engine. It doesn't belong in the Ram IMHO unless you just city drive it everywhere. It's a great engine in terms of design, and put in a minivan or a charger or something its perfect. But it needs to rev way to high to make power, so it's a poor choice for a truck.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You can do all that work to your truck unless you upgrade the driveshaft it will be useless. I had and the key work is had a 2012 Dodge Durango with the V6. Towed 7k great. It was all stock except the alt. Lost the driveshaft last year towing my camper in NC. Could not find a driveshaft anywhere and they were on back order for 6 months. Had to purchase a vehicle to get home. Just make sure you upgrade the driveshaft.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Thanks for the input.

Out of curiosity, would a 4x4 pumpkin or rear axle assembly bolt onto my 2wd?

I will continue to explorer the used truck market but again it's insanely expensive. I think I can sell my truck for more than I financed it for in today's market.

I am going to call a local dealer tomorrow in an effort to gain insight.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input.

Out of curiosity, would a 4x4 pumpkin or rear axle assembly bolt onto my 2wd?

I will continue to explorer the used truck market but again it's insanely expensive. I think I can sell my truck for more than I financed it for in today's market.

I am going to call a local dealer tomorrow in an effort to gain insight.
Yep

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Do you have the 8 speed trans?

If so... and you absolutely are sticking with your current truck, (towing 7k is asking a lot from the V6) I suggest you go back to stock tire and wheel size, then go with a 4.30 gear.

That would make a notable improvement in your low speed towing performance and
Should not hurt fuel mileage significantly with the 8 speed.

You have a 2wd truck so gear swap in the rear axle only should be 1500 or less, hopefully you wouldn't have to change the carrier...if you do, it's a good time to install a posi rear if you dont have that already.

Air bags and wdh are also suggested with a good electric brake control.

Towing a boat is different than a TT...less wind drag.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just have a think about where it's struggling. Is it having trouble just off the line? Gears could help that. Too much squat? Bags can help, but can also be used improperly.

Keep things cool and serviced, you'll be fine.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you guys with V6 ought to get out there and try it.

Then YOU tell us how it worked out. I believe some of the nay-Sayers of the Pentastar may be surprised.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think you guys with V6 ought to get out there and try it.

Then YOU tell us how it worked out. I believe some of the nay-Sayers of the Pentastar may be surprised.

This nay-sayer has been there and done that. Never again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45