Towing With New Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
My new 2022 RAM 3500 truck (1900 miles) had a transmission failure while towing a 5th wheel (around 13,000#) from Florida to Tennessee. I met all the break in requirements for towing but now it will have a new transmission and the vehicle and trailer are stuck near Atlanta GA. I will need to tow the the trailer back to Tennessee once the truck is repaired. Do I need to drive around for 500 miles again before towing again with the new transmission or should I be good to go.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have had transmissions replaced and the new ones came with no instructions regarding break in. Early break in is mostly concerned with engine parts, and towing break in with the rear differential gears wearing in.

That said, I’m very conservative about vehicle maintenance; I would err on the side of driving it conservatively on the ride home. Costs nothing. I see no reason to repeat the “500 miles before towing“ regimen.

Last thought, considering RAM is paying for and warranting the work, I would ask the dealer. If anything goes wrong with trans 2, you’ll want their backing. Don’t give them an opportunity to shift the blame. I expect they’ll tell you it’s good to tow.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Break in period is for the Engine to set up, not the transmission. If owrried about it, drive a hundred miles on it, then hook it up and go easy with it for another hundred miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The first 500 miles is for rear gears to mesh after that no other restrictions, the new trans should not need any miles for break in all it will do is relearn your drive habits, I'm surprised to hear of an Asian trans laying down with so few miles...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Trans gear box is easy to lubricate being all helical planetary gearsets. Wet clutches also.

50 - 100 miles wear-in. Many more types of machine elements in the engine to wear-in, esp. ring seating cams.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see any negatives at all, only positives for giving it a break in period, even a small one.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have had transmissions replaced and the new ones came with no instructions regarding break in. Early break in is mostly concerned with engine parts, and towing break in with the rear differential gears wearing in.

That said, I’m very conservative about vehicle maintenance; I would err on the side of driving it conservatively on the ride home. Costs nothing. I see no reason to repeat the “500 miles before towing“ regimen.

Last thought, considering RAM is paying for and warranting the work, I would ask the dealer. If anything goes wrong with trans 2, you’ll want their backing. Don’t give them an opportunity to shift the blame. I expect they’ll tell you it’s good to tow.
The above exactly, get the repair dealership to write on the final sales receipt exactly what you should do before towing your trailer home. If I was in that situation I would get that, verbal is no good. Good luck

OP
OP
M

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
Thanks for all the helpful info, I won’t get over concerned with towing right away, met any break in requirements already since it would apply to engine and rear differential.

OP
OP
M

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
I was also surprised this happened with the Asian, we specifically paid for the HO/Asian upgrade to hopefully avoid transmission issues, go figure.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was also surprised this happened with the Asian, we specifically paid for the HO/Asian upgrade to hopefully avoid transmission issues, go figure.

I have never read of any Asian laying down in 1900 miles, it must of been screwed up from get go at the factory, you were just the unlucky guy who had it mated to your HO.... Did they give you any idea of why if failed?

OP
OP
M

mshram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
Not sure why it failed, I will ask when I speak with them again. They have said they have only seen it happen once or twice. We decided to hire a hauling company to bring the trailer back since ETA on the truck may be a while and I could not leave the trailer where it was at indefinitely, that resolves the towing break in issue.

Bill G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good luck, hope you have no more troubles. I’ve heard rumor that a different trans may be in the works. I was hoping for ‘23 model year, but doesn’t seem to be the case. Crossing my fingers the 10 speed Allison.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new 2022 RAM 3500 truck (1900 miles) had a transmission failure while towing a 5th wheel (around 13,000#) from Florida to Tennessee. I met all the break in requirements for towing but now it will have a new transmission and the vehicle and trailer are stuck near Atlanta GA. I will need to tow the the trailer back to Tennessee once the truck is repaired. Do I need to drive around for 500 miles again before towing again with the new transmission or should I be good to go.
I don’t tow as much weight but I do tow a tandem trailer with zero turn mowers. 32000 miles no issue no real break in done

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've (unfortunately) received my truck back from the dealer for two tranny rebuilds and an engine replacement (all under warranty) and have never received a word either verbally or on the paperwork to perform any break-ins before towing or otherwise. The manual seems to stress the break-in is for the gears so I wouldn't worry much for a tranny or engine.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Asian is coming up with a bunch of issues for the 22' trucks. There are a lot of reports of them popping after very low miles. My 68rfe just went out after 25k miles and still don't know what happened. I truly believe the issues were seeing on any vehicles right now if from worker shortage and supply chain issue. Hopefully the tech that rebuilt your transmission did a good job.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The Asian is coming up with a bunch of issues for the 22' trucks. There are a lot of reports of them popping after very low miles. My 68rfe just went out after 25k miles and still don't know what happened. I truly believe the issues were seeing on any vehicles right now if from worker shortage and supply chain issue. Hopefully the tech that rebuilt your transmission did a good job.

I read some think the Asian problem is due to a snap ring that is breaking, I don't know of true but it would not surprise me due to reports of low quality parts coming out of China since the Wuhan virus can around...

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read some think the Asian problem is due to a snap ring that is breaking, I don't know of true but it would not surprise me due to reports of low quality parts coming out of China since the Wuhan virus can around...

yep i would have to agree material Quality is crap right now. i deal in sheet metal everyday and i can tell they quality i get now is not what it was 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Bkirby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummings
I’m new to the forum but also having transmission issues. My 22 ram 3500 had a failure with 8k miles towing my 5th. I’m being told atm it’s valve body failure and it’s been over 3 weeks now waiting on parts. Hopefully replacement will fix problem.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’m new to the forum but also having transmission issues. My 22 ram 3500 had a failure with 8k miles towing my 5th. I’m being told atm it’s valve body failure and it’s been over 3 weeks now waiting on parts. Hopefully replacement will fix problem.
Hey Bkirby,

We regret to see you're having this issue. If you'd like some assistance, please direct message us. We'd be happy to help.

Callie
Ram Cares

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Do you have the Aisin or 68 RFE trans?