Towing with SC 87 octane tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 1500 hemi.

I saw on an f150 forum (because Google) that you can tow at full capacity with an 87 octane tune loaded. Is this true for Rams as well? Let me know if you’ve done this and what your experience was/is.

I’ll be towing a smaller trailer with a zero turn and some fencing material for land I just purchased. It won’t come anywhere close to capacity.

I’m reading that all the 87 tube really does is change the shift points a little. If that’s the case I would think it would be fine. The main reason I ask is I really don’t want to switch the tune every time I want to hook something up.

thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Not sure I'm following what you are asking here. Do you already have the tune and are asking if you can tow with it? If you have a tune already, you should be good to go....

OP
OP
S

Seso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure I'm following what you are asking here. Do you already have the tune and are asking if you can tow with it? If you have a tune already, you should be good to go....

sorry if I’m being confusing.

I just bought a superchip f5 tuner and I plan on just running the 87 octane tune.

I’d really like to know if I’m able to tow with that tune or if I’ll have to retune every single time I need to tow.

also, a question that just popped in my head is whether pressing the tow/haul button in the truck will override the tune so I don’t have to retune when I want to haul something at a moments notice.

Thanks for your help!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry if I’m being confusing.

I just bought a superchip f5 tuner and I plan on just running the 87 octane tune.

I’d really like to know if I’m able to tow with that tune or if I’ll have to retune every single time I need to tow.

also, a question that just popped in my head is whether pressing the tow/haul button in the truck will override the tune so I don’t have to retune when I want to haul something at a moments notice.

Thanks for your help!
Once you install the tune it actually completely removes the factory programming and replaces it with its own tune. Running it in tow haul with a tune might make the transmission shift more aggressively which is probably not recommended for the RFE tranny in your truck. Honestly If it was me I would run the towing tune that's one of tunes available on your tuner or return it back to stock and just run the recommended 89 octane. Just my two cents worth..............

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Running it in tow haul with a tune might make the transmission shift more aggressively which is probably not recommended for the RFE tranny in your truck.

say wut?? Using the tow haul actually makes it easier on the transmission and engine by using lower gearing and keeping the engine more in the torque band. From what I understand the RFE trans don't like WOT shifting, your not stomping the pedal to the floor while towing.
If the tune is specific for 87 octane than it optimizes the air/fuel ratio for 87 vs the stock tuning of 89. Unless the tuner specifies to not tow with the tune, not to mention it doesn't sound like the trailer is going to be that much drag.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What crash said...the tow/haul mode adjusts the transmission programming specifically to help the transmission perform better and to save the transmission from excessive wear.

That said, the factory programming in these trucks is designed to allow them to run on 87 octane without a tune, it simply adjusts the timing/fuel/air for any knock it sees, the average person likely wouldn't even notice knock while running 87 octane in a motor that calls for 89.

To top it all off, if OP is pulling a small utility trailer with a mower on it and not much else...I'm not positive I'd even remember to use tow/haul since the weight is light and there won't be much additional drag. I don't use it when pulling the flatbed with the wife's 2.7 Ecoboost F150.

OP
OP
S

Seso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate it

Just to clarify, if I have the 87 tune loaded and press the tow/haul button it’ll still change how the transmission shifts to prevent wear?

that’s what I’m hoping so I don’t have to change the tune every time I want to haul the mower or something else on a whim.

OP
OP
S

Seso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at superchips website faq and apparently they have already answered this question. The tow haul feature still works on your truck, so I’ll just run the 87 tune and press turn on tow/haul when I need to. Thanks for everyone’s time!

Can I still use my tow-haul button?
Yes, you can use the tow-haul button as normal as it does not affect Superchips tuning while driving under heavy load.

businessman2b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got back from a 2400 mile trip towing my 27 ft travel trailer. Half way through, I put in 87 octane and the 87 tune with MDS disabled for fun. The truck seemed to run just fine. I watched the temps on the EVIC closely and couldn’t tell a difference. I did set all the shift points to factory instead of the super chips setting. With the price of 91/93 octane being what it is and the trailer cutting my mileage in half, I saved quite a bit on fuel and MPG’s were the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I use the lowest grade..87 down here, 85 in the higher elevations. never had any problem towing or not. in fact I get better mileage and truck runs fine in the mountains. I have only run midgrade a few times when towing in extreme hot weather.