Towing with the Ram...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vetteyog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, I have a '12 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with 5.7l & 3.55 gears. I will be towing a 3500# popup a couple hours from home. I'm new to this platform, but have a lot of towing experience. I know this is light work for the truck, but I'm just looking for advice. What gears to stay in or out of? Manually shift, or just put it in tow/haul mode and let the truck do its thing; etc??

Thanks!!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Won't even know it's there. Just drive normally. If you find the transmission constantly shifting, then put it in tow/haul mode.
Ditto ^^^.

Had to retype. U got a 2012 with 6 speed. Put in tow haul and leave it there.

All above IMHO

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are way over-thinking the situation. A minivan or small SUV would be capable of towing that. Just hook up the trailer and go.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hi all, I have a '12 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with 5.7l & 3.55 gears. I will be towing a 3500# popup a couple hours from home. I'm new to this platform, but have a lot of towing experience. I know this is light work for the truck, but I'm just looking for advice. What gears to stay in or out of? Manually shift, or just put it in tow/haul mode and let the truck do its thing; etc??

Thanks!!

You are getting a lot of bad advise here. It has been repressed but towing a popup with the 1500 Ram has almost always resulted in the death of the truck's occupants. The popup bounces, comes up over the top of the pick up and kills. It has been suggested to add about 1,000 lbs to the top of the popup to keep it on the ground. But this has not been tested.

Get a proper travel trailer and be safe.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You are getting a lot of bad advise here. It has been repressed but towing a popup with the 1500 Ram has almost always resulted in the death of the truck's occupants. The popup bounces, comes up over the top of the pick up and kills. It has been suggested to add about 1,000 lbs to the top of the popup to keep it on the ground. But this has not been tested.

Get a proper travel trailer and be safe.

Hoping this is a joke? Smileys so we all know it is?

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Add a sway control friction bar and you’ll be fine.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Add a sway control friction bar and you’ll be fine.
I would only do this if it actually sways behind the truck. Most of the time they don't, if they do it's usually due to improper loading.

Otherwise, put the truck in tow/haul and go - you'll be fine with that load.

dalewalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Just this past weekend I drove from PA to GA w/an empty 20' car hauler w/electric brakes, loaded a ~1400lb plane on, and drove back. My 2022 1500 Classic, 3.6L handled this weight just fine. I only used Tow/Haul when I was in an area where frequent braking was necessary (to utilize engine braking).

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
Just this past weekend I drove from PA to GA w/an empty 20' car hauler w/electric brakes, loaded a ~1400lb plane on, and drove back. My 2022 1500 Classic, 3.6L handled this weight just fine. I only used Tow/Haul when I was in an area where frequent braking was necessary (to utilize engine braking).

P,perhaps you are just using odd terminology, but tow/haul is for accelerating, while brakes and down shifting are for slowing on any 1500. Being in tow/haul will not "utilize engine braking" as there is no engine brake on a 1500...

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks!!
Personnally, unless I'm going on a super flat surface, I will always cancel the overdrive gears. Mine is an '08 2500 gasser with the 545RFE trannie and if I'm hauling heavy stuff I'll use Tow/Haul but when towing my 8k lbs 5ft wheel camper I just simply cancel both overdrive gears to prevent shifting back 'n forth. No big difference in mpgs but could save alot of wear and tear on the trannie.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd exclusive use tow/haul mode. My boat is around 3500# and I find it tows better. It doesn't impact gas mileage that much. You can use cruise control too. Most popups have tiny tires, so I wouldn't go faster than what they are rated for; 55 or 65.

MyRampage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Lance 1685 with a tip out weight is 3400 dry and it pulls like a dream behind my 22 Ram 1500. If your pop up is 3500 lbs you shouldn’t have a problem. Just get the weight distribution anti sway for safety.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the 3.92 rear in my 2019......have towed a 3500 lb Casita fiberglass trailer all over the western states and a 17ft car trailer loaded with carriages as well.......the truck handles the loads well.....I rarely use tow haul.....never use a WD unit or sway bar.......just don't need it. Like others have said.....truck doesn't know it's back there. Go camping.

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A popup won't catch the wind like a full size camper trailer will so sway bars probably won't be needed unless you're in a suuuuuper windy area.

Tow/Haul... I only use that in stop and go city traffic to change the shift patterns of hte first few gears, otherwise highway I don't bother unless I'm 7000lbs+ and I don't want it to go into 6th going up a hill, or the reverse if I'm heavy going down a long hill. I find my tow/haul searches for gears more often just going down the highway on cruise.

The attached pic is my '12 5.7L 3.92 Gears. Trailer itself was 4000+lbs(hydraulic tilt bed), and each one of the lifts of lumber is 5500lbs. No weight distro, no sway bars. Took that down the highway for 30miles, nothing ran warm (I was watching all the temps), no sway, no issues getting going, no issues stopping(good trailer brakes). I had them offset the lumber that way on purpose, bottom one hung off the end just a little so I could tilt the deck and drive away to unload and the top one moved forward to give me proper tongue weight.

Attachments

• Ramlumbertow.jpg
    Ramlumbertow.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 15

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just got back yesterday from towing a 21ft, 5000lb boat on a tandem axle TrailRite with surge brakes, from Northwest Washington state, to Oklahoma. Towed the boat down, dropped it off, then turned around a drove back. 4500 mile round trip.

Lots and lots and lots of mountains and 6% grades from Washington pretty much all the way to Bernalillo, NM. Some memorable hills were Emigrant hill in Oregon, and Umtanum, WA. Both On I-84. Literally, it didn't get flat until I made I-40 near Albuquerque.

2013 Ram 1500, 5.7 with a 65RFE and 3.55s. My transmission temp got as high as 185* going up the steepest and longest grades, and stayed at 177* everywhere else.

I stayed in tow/haul mode the whole trip.

To the OP, i'm pretty sure you'll be just fine!

Last edited: