Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was commenting on your statement "Your not transferring weight from the truck to the trailer with a WDH" which is incorrect. Nothing more. I realize it would be difficult to overload the trailer axles but technically you could, and your statement was incorrect. I didn't watch the video as I know how a WDH works, and understand the physics behind it being a mech engineer. Draw up a free body diagram of the forces / moments and it would clearly show what happens when you load the bars, and the force added to the trailer axle(s) is more than zero.
Transferring weight from the truck to the trailer would involve the trailer weighing more than itself and the load in it. Last time I checked a trucks doesn't get lighter when you attach a trailer with WDH which is what your inferring. So with the trailer in the video it would have to exceed 4800lbs and the truck now weigh less than 6800lbs
Let's not confuse leverage forces with actual weight..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure I follow this or if it's true.... my 5th wheel has a GVWR of 12,000# but the tires on each axle (2) are rated at 2580# each. So, if not for 20% of the weight sitting on the pin, the tires are overloaded. I readily admit this is a pretty poor design and riding too close to max weight of everything but it is what it is..... rolling off the assembly line.
The weight on the axles plus the pin weight is not to exceed the GVWR of the trailer. The GAWR dictates how much weight can be on the trailer axles, the rest of the load has to be on the pin.
Look at your typical semi trailer, do you think the dual axles could hold the entire weight of the trailer load. The tractor is intended to to take part of the load. Repositioning the load, and shifting the axles are different means to keep the load on the axles distributed properly.

Rick Stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello....

New here, so bare with me....I believe it is the mandatory by law, if the trailer is over 5000lbs, a weight distribution hitch is required. I am up here in Ontario Canada and it is law here. In addition, I would purchase one with built in sway control as.......

Out of curiosity, have many of you towed a trailer in the 8000 - 9000lb range with your ram 1500 and if so, which WDH with sway control did you use???

2018 Ram 1500 with 3:92 towing capacity of GCWR of 15,975lbs, with a maximum trailer weight rating of 10,250 and I have been told to figure out what you can tow on the advertised numbers, calculate using 65% of the GCWR coming close to the 10,250lbs (10,384lbs).

I have heard you take 90% of your vehicles towing capacity 10,250 x 90% for 9225lbs maximum which is a little different from the GCWR calculation???

Does anyone know if this is true for either or both of the calculations???

Thank you,

Rick

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Hello....

New here, so bare with me....I believe it is the mandatory by law, if the trailer is over 5000lbs, a weight distribution hitch is required. I am up here in Ontario Canada and it is law here. In addition, I would purchase one with built in sway control as.......

Out of curiosity, have many of you towed a trailer in the 8000 - 9000lb range with your ram 1500 and if so, which WDH with sway control did you use???

2018 Ram 1500 with 3:92 towing capacity of GCWR of 15,975lbs, with a maximum trailer weight rating of 10,250 and I have been told to figure out what you can tow on the advertised numbers, calculate using 65% of the GCWR coming close to the 10,250lbs (10,384lbs).

I have heard you take 90% of your vehicles towing capacity 10,250 x 90% for 9225lbs maximum which is a little different from the GCWR calculation???

Thank you,

Rick
I towed my sons 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK with my 2013 1500 with 3.55s using a Husky Centerline TS WDH. Handled great. Dry weight was 6500lbs but guessing it was about 7500-8000lbs.

Also towed my boat with that truck and it weighs just under 9000lbs. with the trailer. No WDH with a boat trailer.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hello....

Thank you,

Rick

I use the blue ox WDH with sway control. Worked great for our 26ft White hawk. We ordered a 30ft KZ at the end of last year and are waiting for it to arrive at our dealership. Since then, i added a hellwig rear sway bar and some timbren's to help keep it level...

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I tow a Casita travel trailer....about 3000 lbs with a tongue weight about 400 lbs. My new Ram pulls it just fine without any WD. I get about 3/4 inch of sag in rear and about 1/2 inch in front...so no problems. I also pull a car trailer around with carriages or a tractor on board....haven't had any concerns without a WD unit. Good luck.