Toyo AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I've narrowed my tire search down to a couple choices. I found some YouTube videos doing a direct comparison which was very helpful. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I think I'm leaning towards the Falkens but have never had a set so am a bit nervous. I've run many sets of Toyos over the years and been generally pleased but the Falkens seems to have a slight edge in many of the tests. Also deeper tread with a 55K warranty compared to the 50K for Toyo (HD, E-rated 10ply so NOT the 65K warranty for the lighter vehicle ones). Falkens are also about $125 cheaper for the set which is nice but pretty low on my list of factors for such a relatively small amount of money and an important purchase.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Falkens on my RAM< very happy, my wife's F 150 had Toyo's on it, and they were decent also. I was happy with both setups, guess just gets down to my personal preference. You'll have as many talk about Michelins and Nitro's etc. But I am not in a snow happy state, the issues here are monsoon type rains and mud. Not of course counting the 8" of ice and snow we got in Feb 2021, and the Falkens did very well indeed, as I had to drive off the road to get to town as the roadway was basically impassable.

NOTE: I am running "C" rated Falkens, my particular circumstance, "E" rated no needed.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suspect you will be very happy with either. The differences seem inconsequential over the life of the tire. Get the tires you want, whichever they may be.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I’ve had both and was very happy with both. Can’t go wrong either way, they both ride, handle and wear great. Toyos have a slight edge IMO purely thanks to lighter weight I.E. fuel mileage

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had both and they are very similar I doubt if you did a blind test you would have a tough time telling any difference. both are very similar to bfg ko2 as well. all good tires. I will say I currently have Toyo RT's and would get them again in a heartbeat.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm partial to Toyos...I've had two sets between my last two trucks and loved everything about them. Currently running Toyo OC A/T IIIs on my 2023 Limited but based on other's comments, sounds like you can't go wrong with either option.

Good luck!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would ask specifically what you're running now? And are you happy with the ride? Is there something about your use you want/need a different or certain kind of tire (like hauling more weight, etc)? What is the load range of your current tires?

Like you said, One of the tires is an e-rated tire, the other is like a 114T which weighs quite a bit less. Probably has more compliant sidewall. Rice nicer. But the e-rated tire ...what's the load range? You never specifically indicated what size. "Rated" tires don't always have as stiff of a sidewall as you'd think. It's "Rated" so they don't actually always have 10 plies. It's probably more like 6 or 8. So it doesn't always mean they ride rougher (unless you pump the air pressure real high).

The Falkins have 18/32" tread ...that's about the deepest I've seen. I haven't personally run either, but they both seem like good tires.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've tried both in E rated and found that the Wildpeaks will outperform the Toyos in any condition except snow, I have not used either in the snow. That said, the Widleaks are snow rated, the Toyos are not. My chief complaint with Toyo's was they were slippery in wet or rainy conditions, would slide out in tight curves or turns. I'm running Wildpeaks on both my 2016 Eco and my 2020 HO, great tires

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Size is 275/70-18, both are E-rated for 2500 HD

I would ask specifically what you're running now? And are you happy with the ride? Is there something about your use you want/need a different or certain kind of tire (like hauling more weight, etc)? What is the load range of your current tires?

Like you said, One of the tires is an e-rated tire, the other is like a 114T which weighs quite a bit less. Probably has more compliant sidewall. Rice nicer. But the e-rated tire ...what's the load range? You never specifically indicated what size. "Rated" tires don't always have as stiff of a sidewall as you'd think. It's "Rated" so they don't actually always have 10 plies. It's probably more like 6 or 8. So it doesn't always mean they ride rougher (unless you pump the air pressure real high).

The Falkins have 18/32" tread ...that's about the deepest I've seen. I haven't personally run either, but they both seem like good tires.
No real complaints with the current Toyos but always like to do a bit of research to see what's out there. Definitely like the deeper tread and 5K longer mileage rating with the Falkens. Cheaper is nice too, of course.

I've tried both in E rated and found that the Wildpeaks will outperform the Toyos in any condition except snow, I have not used either in the snow. That said, the Widleaks are snow rated, the Toyos are not. My chief complaint with Toyo's was they were slippery in wet or rainy conditions, would slide out in tight curves or turns. I'm running Wildpeaks on both my 2016 Eco and my 2020 HO, great tires

Both should be snowflake rated. That is actually my criteria when shopping for tires. I don't want to have to swap tires or chain up when in the mountains. Not that I am actually convinced these tires are as good as true snow tires. I just don't want the liability of being in a wreck in the mountains without the right equipment. My oldest son lives in central Oregon and I run over Mount Hood a few times a year to visit. I also like to ski a few times a year. I first found the 4-season (snow flake rated) tires about 10 years ago at Les Schwab and was really happy. It's good to see they have gained in popularity.

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions everyone!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the Toyo at3's are snow flake rated.. i have used both in plenty of snow and ice and I still say they are so similar I have a hard time believing in a blind test you would notice a difference. one great thing about Toyo is you can try them for 45 days or 500 miles and if you don't like them they will refund your money including labor for any reason you don't like them. both are good tires.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Swap tires???! LOL. I love you CA guys, don't get me wrong, but you crack me up sometimes. :laughing1:

I remember one time we were in the Sierra's in CA and there was like 3" of snow on the road and they wanted us to chain up. There were actually people putting chains on too. Of course our rental didn't have chains and they were being snippy about it. My wife and I were baffled. This wasn't a major road, and it wasn't over a pass either. Just a relatively short 5-6 mile stretch to the next town. And it was like 38* outside, the sun had just come out and starting to melt. Heck it might have been 40 degrees.

I says to the officer, "You **Have** to be kidding!!? ..This is like eyes-closed kind of snow driving that we commute through every week! ...at 50mph, lol" While we were arguing about it the state patrol or whoever it was...radio'd over they closed the road and nobody could pass. I"m like, "Over 3" of snow? That's melting? Sun's out?? C'mon, You gotta be kidding me!". Ha ha. That's happened a few times when we've been out there. Even if it had been 6" of snow....(??)

Ok 14" of dry snow on a 12 degree night ....and a stiff 35mph crosswind (with 45mph gusts), *maybe* I can understand that ...but not 3". :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, a little snow in the Portland area and all hell breaks loose. People actually abandon their cars in the middle of the freeway!! But while the snow is usually pretty easy to deal with we sometimes get ice storms that are no joke.

Glen OS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the Falkens on both of my trucks and very happy with them. I went with Geolander AT g015 on the Ram for a higher speed rating. The Falkens are staying on my 95 K2500 plowtruck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Swap tires???! LOL. I love you CA guys, don't get me wrong, but you crack me up sometimes. :laughing1:

I remember one time we were in the Sierra's in CA and there was like 3" of snow on the road and they wanted us to chain up. There were actually people putting chains on too. Of course our rental didn't have chains and they were being snippy about it. My wife and I were baffled. This wasn't a major road, and it wasn't over a pass either. Just a relatively short 5-6 mile stretch to the next town. And it was like 38* outside, the sun had just come out and starting to melt. Heck it might have been 40 degrees.

I says to the officer, "You **Have** to be kidding!!? ..This is like eyes-closed kind of snow driving that we commute through every week! ...at 50mph, lol" While we were arguing about it the state patrol or whoever it was...radio'd over they closed the road and nobody could pass. I"m like, "Over 3" of snow? That's melting? Sun's out?? C'mon, You gotta be kidding me!". Ha ha. That's happened a few times when we've been out there. Even if it had been 6" of snow....(??)

Ok 14" of dry snow on a 12 degree night ....and a stiff 35mph crosswind (with 45mph gusts), *maybe* I can understand that ...but not 3". :D
Yep, that's our Califunny. Been in your situation and they adhere to their "chain up" rules. So stupid that the onsite CHP officer can't use common sense.

mtofell,
At least in Oregon if it's a chain up condition they'll honor snow rated tires in lieu of chains. Not so in Califunny

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, kalifornia snowflakes are an entirely different thing than most other places.

I’ve been researching tires recently and just bought a set of Sumitomo (Falken parent company) for the Freightliner. IMO Toyo and Sumitomo are both first rate Japanese tire makers, just as good as Michelin or Bridgestone. You won’t go wrong with either choice.

I’d probably make the decision after getting a few quotes and recommendations from the tire store of choice. Having a good shop that will do a proper install and balance is equally important as who made the tire.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice pics. That looks fun. That's what you need good tires for!! I love snow. We just got 13" last night! I just finished plowing. Wet n heavy stuff. I bet most of the guys on this forum wouldn't hesitate to blow through any amount of snow on the road. :waytogo:

They actually never close roads here in WI for snow, unless there's a pile-up. At least not that I've ever seen. And they said something on the news that they don't close roads for that. They never used to in MN either back in the day ...but that changed some years ago. Now they're closing them all the time ..that we used to drive all night in (??).

Man, I remember driving for hours back in the day across I-90 at night in the middle of nowhere ...in major snow storms. Not much between LaCrosse & Rapid City. Snow up to the pick-up tk axles, and coming down hard. You could barely see 30' in front of ya. There'd be just two deep ruts in the road and you had better NOT get out of them, or even swing close to the edge of the ruts or you'd get instantly sucked into the ditch like some of those 'other cars' had earlier (mostly SWB Wranglers that spin-out like tops). Now those cars were mostly drifted over. They just look like lumps off the side of the road. You don't see anyone, their cars look ok ....you hope they got to a safe place. Reminds you of "those days" when you were younger and pushed things a little too hard ...and you were the one sitting in the ditch thinking about next-steps.

But that won't be tonight. It's darn cold and windy out there in the dark, but hey, cozy warm in the cab. You put yer knuckles on the sideglass to gauge how cold it is out there. "Low teens?" ya think. But the weather guy said something about single-digits. Doesn't account for the winds though. It's going to be a long night. Maybe it's time to put on a long set of Bob Seger and or Boston, or Alan Jackson, not too loud, you need to hear the machinery and the reassuring whine of the transfer case in the background. You look down at the 4x4 lever to make sure its in 'locked' even though you know it is. But it feels good that you looked anyway, just in case. You trace back in your mind the transfer case spinning the front driveshaft. You can imagine the u-joints spinning evenly, doing their job to drive the front wheels. "Jee wizz, did I grease that hard-to-reach zerk in the constant velocity joint?" "I think so," you think, but not quite sure. Well it doesn't matter now. Eyes back to the road, ya chuckle what a good decision it was to fill up *both* tanks (saddle tanks back then) at the last truck stop -- and if you should have pressed-on or not. But you did. Yer going to need that extra fuel to press on through this stuff. Along with the few brave truckers on the road. Yer tired, grip the wheel, can't take yer eyes off the road or barely even blink. Fortunately the hours go by faster than ya thought, the snow lightens up, and ya made it through. Yer trusty truck did the work, that's why you take good care of her. Pop er back into 2WD and think about breakfast. ....Ahhh, Those are what make good old days.

.:favorites13:

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
funny stuff.where i am the snowplows don't get to us for weeks after snowfalls.by mid winter there's close to 2" of compacted snow that's turned to ice.we have no choice but to have a set of dedicated studded snow tires if we want to get out of our driveways.i can get away with a 3 peak tire and use my diff locks but the wifes tesla-no chance.studded Hakkapellitas or pirelli sottozero from the first snowfall till mid April.2-3 sets of tires per vehicle is a pain but nessesary.my middle son had Geolanders on his Ranger and they lasted him at least 8 years.the truck died and is still in his driveway with the Geos still on it.they outlasted the truck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Geolanders. They seem like a great all-round tire.

Pitt Meadows BC?? Sounds like a nice place.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Geolanders came stock on mine. They should last another year I think. Im thinking of switching to falkens