Toyo AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The A/T Coopers I'm running are working out fine for my tk's (not AT3's though).

I went to a tire dealer last fall and 'felt' a pr of AT3's that I was considering for another vehicle. I was concered by the looks of the sidewall they might be a little stiff for what I wanted, for mostly hwy driving. These were 285/75/16's (basically 33" tall tires) for a H3. Because it's almost impossible to glean meaningful specs anymore from tire mfgrs websites, you almost gotta see and 'feel' a tire in person to know what you're really getting. I've installed, balanced/mounted a lot of tires in my day. Anywhooo.... I looked and felt (by hand) the tire over real well. Turns out the sidewalls are more pliable than I imagined they would be. They're about right for a DD. That should translate into a decent ride, not too much choppiness. Be able to handle some sensible off-road airing down too. That's not to say the sidewalls are super soft either. But they're not real stiff like a heavy-duty tire is.

I ended up going with Hankook D/P AT2's at the end of the day due to some sales and a few other tire features. But mostly I wanted to 'try' a set of D/P-2's, which I hadn't run before. (I like to try out different products). The Hankook's have a rim-protecting recessed bead, whereas the AT3's don't. I liked the tread pattern of the Hankook's better for my use (deeper snow), plus each tread block on the HKs extend all the way to the carcass (no raised 'bridges'!). Pretty sure the AT3's would be a touch quieter than the HK's by looks of the Coop's tread pattern. It's similar to other Coopers I have which are super-quiet.

But I was impressed with the AT3's. Cooper makes a great product. Perhaps I'll try them the next go-round on different rig. At the end of the day you just gotta do your research. You'll go nuts listening to various people say "this tire is the best" or "that tire sucks" ..which are kind of meaningless w/o detailed info (why) which we never get. LOL. There are more good truck tires out there than ever before.

I have never had a favorite truck tire , the industry is always changing , kinda hoping these Coopers perform well. As said not a great fan of the Toyo's , possibly the AT3's are a better tire ,their AT2's did not perform well for me . I didn't do a great amount of research on truck tires , there are a few major players ,but lots ,and lots of choices . One I considered was the Sailun Terramax AT's, great price . I have a friend that ran them , towing a big fifth wheel ,and was happy with them , a 5 rib All terrain like most of the others . If anyone knows Sailun , and has run their S637 RV tire knows the quality of Sailun . I run the S637's on my fifth wheel .

Last edited:

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just did a pretty deep dive and even found some other contenders - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T and BF Goodrich KO2. It seems each of the manufacturers make a solid tire but they all have various pros/cons.

Weight and durability go hand-in-hand (but weight will kill MPGs due to being on the wheels). Generally, thicker sidewalls = more weight which is better for rocks/gravel. The Mickey Thompsons are the heaviest and toughest, followed closely by the BF Goodrich. Those are both off my list since I rarely drive on rocks/gravel (but I mention them in case anyone wants/needs that). I'm more looking for wet and snow traction and it looks like the Coopers or Falkens are the best. Toyo is in there too but is more expensive and doesn't seem to have as high of highs as the other two. Falkens are a bit heavier and tougher so I guess it's just a decision of how much I need. I'm 90% on paved roads, 5% snow/ice covered and maybe 5% gravel (if that).

The Falkens at 61# are a bit heavier than the Coopers at 54# and I'm just not sure I need the extra sidewall durability (thanks again @truck2014 for mentioning those Coopers!).

In the end this is totally splitting hairs as every tire mentioned looks to be a nice product. One thing that is funny is in the reviews they all talk about snow/mud/water evacuation and tread depth but as the tires wear that all goes away.... so? Any newer tire is going to be worlds better than even a 40% worn tire? I guess so... and I must be naive for not putting more stock in that previously. I guess it's like marrying a hot, skinny girl and then..... well, never mind, this isn't going anywhere good :)

What I can say about the Coopers , they are my third set on my 2014 Ram 3500, and the first thing I noticed was the handling , and tracking , especially when I was hooked up to my fifth wheel . My truck is used mostly for towing the fifth wheel . Rest of the time it sits . I get it out once a week just to run it . As far as quiet , they are pretty quiet , my Toyo's were also pretty quiet . I never noticed anymore noise with the Toyo's or these Coopers ,than my stock Firestone HT's .

What I have read ,and observed with my Ram to a point is that they are a bit tough on tires , what I also have read is the factory toe setting on these Rams are also a factor in excessive wear . Although I have experienced pretty even wear on my tires , but that's probably got a lot to do with frequent rotation . As I think I pointed out toe should be 0 - .05 . My drag link as said was replaced last week on recall , and my toe is now set at .02. Hopefully I will see a bit better tire wear , but I can't expect as good towing a fifth wheel as I would running empty ,but that's what the truck was bought for . Good luck with your choice , but as said I can't say anything bad about these Coopers ,been on now for over a year ,and looking good .

Last edited:

malonerory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Toyo ATIII 325/65/18 on a 2500 Diesel, they have around 15k on them and I have zero complaints. They are not at all loud on the road and for being on a diesel they grip decently in snow and ice. You cannot go wrong with either brand, they are both great manufacturers.

Attachments

• 5F0BB1D4-883B-450F-812C-B6A32AC7EFA5.jpeg
    5F0BB1D4-883B-450F-812C-B6A32AC7EFA5.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 10

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the Falken AT3 came on my '19 laramie. after 26000 miles they still didnt look worn. good grip rain or snow and quiet on the highway. just traded that truck for a '22 laramie 2500 with the transforce tires and plan to swap on a new set of the Falkens as soon as I get over the financial hickey of the purchase.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Falken Wildpeak for me too on my Power Wagon. Wearing even, they ride good, little road noise, all round great tire. They have been good to me for traction through two winters. It’ll be what I go back to when I need to replace this set.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another vote for Wildpeaks :driver: My 37s have been great so far.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So....MTOfell, have you bought a tire yet, or gotten closer to a 'winner'?

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So....MTOfell, have you bought a tire yet, or gotten closer to a 'winner'?

Just ordered the Coopers today from Discount Tire. $1275 out the door. I think I might get a $75 rebate so $1200 is not too bad I suppose. I've got some things to work out with the alignment and am taking it to the dealer next week and have an appointment for the tires next Friday assuming the dealer gets the draglink, etc. worked out and my truck aligned.

It was really close between the Coopers and the Falkens but I ultimately went with the Coopers since I just don't need as rugged (or heavy) of a tire. I basically never drive on rocks or gravel exept in some very rare instance and it's pretty mild "off road" at that point. My truck is mainly just a pavement beast and rain/snow traction is the most important. LOVE the snowflake rating so I'm compliant in the mountains without chaining up or swapping tires.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you'll be plenty happy with them. They have pretty deep tread too. OWL's out?? (C'mon! :D ) ..lol

mdbuilder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
275/70-18 M55s. Been running Toyo M55 tires since 1995. In all that time I've never had a flat tire - never.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I'm on my second set of Falken AT3. The tires are great in Northern VA. My only gripe is the aggressive sidewall slinging tire shine all up the sides of my truck... Regardless, the tires perform as good as they look! I'm due for new tires before next winter and I was considering Toyo AT3 only because the sidewalls look less aggressive.. I haven't seen a set to verify, but if they are just as aggressive I will buy another set of Falken AT3's.

SpaceRanger1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel
Engine
I have had (2) sets of Toyo AT 2's, and Im on a set of Toyo AT 3's now... Havent gotten anything lower than 78K on any of them. Looking at a set of Mickey Thomson Baha Legend EXP's.. deeper tread and $30.00 per tire.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have personally never had bad luck running any Japanese tire brand. And I've run many over the years. I ran a lot of Bridgestones for yrs. Even the Firestones I've run (I know they had the Explorer incident ..but) the sets I've had were smooth running). Of course any mfgr can had problems, maybe it's just been luck.

Falkens are made by Sumitomo Rubber which ranked #5 in worldwide tire sales, 2021. They also manufacture the brands of Dunlop Tires (certain markets), and Ohtsu Tire. So being a large company also "usually" means good access to corporate training, R&D, new technology, better/newer better machines, and "hopefully" better QC.

[EDIT] Sumitomo also owns TBC brands (Palm Beach, FL) which owns NTB & Big-O tires (and some others), and all the no-name tires that TBC owns. These are all tires made on the same machines, some with different features, but mostly different marketing niches/outlets. Names include:
It's a global industry. They didn't get to be #5 selling one brand of tire. I have a set of Multi-Mile tires on my plow Jeep for a few yrs which are working out great so far!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, as I said upthread, I ended up with the Cooper AT3 and am very pleased. I just road tripped from Portland down to Vegas over the last couple days and had a chance to really get familiar with the tires. The weather was generally dry but there was some rain at times. Overall, I'm very pleased and initially might like them a hair better than Toyos I've run in the past. It's just so tough to really compare tires since it's not back to back. Also, the ones that were just replaced were essentially worn out so the new ones almost have to feel much better.

I think the Coopers might be a bit quieter which is nice. The grip and overall ride are great. I've done the drive through Nevada a few times over the years but I always forget just how fast you can go. The speed on one long stretch of road was 80MPH! I had my cruise set at 88....lol. Passing some big rigs I got up to 100 a couple times and was impressed with the tires (and truck for that matter). Something I didn't even consider when I purchased tires was the speed rating but I checked at a break and was happy to see it's 112MPH.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the help and especially @truck2014 for turning me onto the Coopers. After all of the research I think a lot of it comes down to what you need from the tire. I'm on pavement 99% of the time so the Coopers are great. As your needs for off-road increase you might consider some more rugged (and heavier/more expensive) options.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, as I said upthread, I ended up with the Cooper AT3 and am very pleased. I just road tripped from Portland down to Vegas over the last couple days and had a chance to really get familiar with the tires. The weather was generally dry but there was some rain at times. Overall, I'm very pleased and initially might like them a hair better than Toyos I've run in the past. It's just so tough to really compare tires since it's not back to back. Also, the ones that were just replaced were essentially worn out so the new ones almost have to feel much better.

I think the Coopers might be a bit quieter which is nice. The grip and overall ride are great. I've done the drive through Nevada a few times over the years but I always forget just how fast you can go. The speed on one long stretch of road was 80MPH! I had my cruise set at 88....lol. Passing some big rigs I got up to 100 a couple times and was impressed with the tires (and truck for that matter). Something I didn't even consider when I purchased tires was the speed rating but I checked at a break and was happy to see it's 112MPH.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the help and especially @truck2014 for turning me onto the Coopers. After all of the research I think a lot of it comes down to what you need from the tire. I'm on pavement 99% of the time so the Coopers are great. As your needs for off-road increase you might consider some more rugged (and heavier/more expensive) options.

Good to hear , I’ve been very pleased with mine as you know . I’m hooking up the fifth wheel this week , and headed to Montana. IMO that’s where I see the better handling than my previous Toyo’s AT2’s .

Chriscunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 limited

I have a 2019 1500 limited run 285/45/22 cooper AT3 and I just found out that they are all cupped. Didn’t get 20k out of them.
I was very happy with the ride and traction I got from them. I Rotate and balance every 5k. Don’t trailer or carry loads.
I don’t know if it’s the air ride causing my tire issues or the size of the tire. But I have never run through tires like this before

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2019 1500 limited run 285/45/22 cooper AT3 and I just found out that they are all cupped. Didn’t get 20k out of them.
I was very happy with the ride and traction I got from them. I Rotate and balance every 5k. Don’t trailer or carry loads.
I don’t know if it’s the air ride causing my tire issues or the size of the tire. But I have never run through tires like this before
I'd be checking for an alignment or suspension issue. I can't imagine they always wear out in this manner at 20K.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
:waytogo: OP ...good to hear your feedback. Glad they are running out nice for you. Did you get them from Walmart? Are yours AT3 4S? Or just the AT3's?

I have a set of Cooper AT2's which are essentially like the newer Cooper AT3's (non-4S). Mine are the 123S 10-ply-rated version ...on a GM pickup and agree, they're nice tires. Good deep tread. Somewhat soft compound. Sounds like maybe the same tire you bought. Should be a decent winter tire. And I don't know if you can find a better deal when Walmart has them on a good sale (which they do often). AFAIK this is a Walmart only tire. The AT3-4S's you can buy at any retailer.

I also put regular non-10-ply Cooper AT's ...115T rated, exactly the same tread, but a lighter weight street tire (also from Wally-World) on my Ram RCLB. The tires are a lot lighter weight, but a good street tread if ya don't haul/tow much. I don't need heavy-duty tires on my Ram. I had all my wally world tires Road Force balanced and rim-matched at our local GM dealer (i know the guys there). Our local Walmart guys are incompetent at balancing tires and have a real old balancer (probably hasn't been recalibrated ever!). My buddy on the road force balancer literally cut the walmart weight on each tire in half! Not kidding.

Overall the Coops have been great. Hope you get good miles out of yours! Come back in spring and give us your anectodal winter performance round-up.

EDIT: Having closely looked at the Toyo's and Falkens in the past, I wouldn't be afraid to run those either. We're lucky we have a lot of great tires to choose from these days. IDK if there's really a bad product out there (among well known tire brands). Even the China no-name tires I took off my Ram ran out really great.

Last edited:

Chriscunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 limited
:waytogo: OP ...good to hear your feedback. Glad they are running out nice for you. Did you get them from Walmart? Are yours AT3 4S? Or just the AT3's?

I have a set of Cooper AT2's which are essentially like the newer Cooper AT3's (non-4S). Mine are the 123S 10-ply-rated version ...on a GM pickup and agree, they're nice tires. Good deep tread. Somewhat soft compound. Sounds like maybe the same tire you bought. Should be a decent winter tire. And I don't know if you can find a better deal when Walmart has them on a good sale (which they do often). AFAIK this is a Walmart only tire. The AT3-4S's you can buy at any retailer.

I also put regular non-10-ply Cooper AT's ...115T rated, exactly the same tread, but a lighter weight street tire (also from Wally-World) on my Ram RCLB. The tires are a lot lighter weight, but a good street tread if ya don't haul/tow much. I don't need heavy-duty tires on my Ram. I had all my wally world tires Road Force balanced and rim-matched at our local GM dealer (i know the guys there). Our local Walmart guys are incompetent at balancing tires and have a real old balancer (probably hasn't been recalibrated ever!). My buddy on the road force balancer literally cut the walmart weight on each tire in half! Not kidding.

Overall the Coops have been great. Hope you get good miles out of yours! Come back in spring and give us your anectodal winter performance round-up.

EDIT: Having closely looked at the Toyo's and Falkens in the past, I wouldn't be afraid to run those either. We're lucky we have a lot of great tires to choose from these days. IDK if there's really a bad product out there (among well known tire brands). Even the China no-name tires I took off my Ram ran out really great.
AT3, not from Walmart. Truck is going in for a new fuel tube. Can’t get more than 1/2 a tank in! So while in there I’m having them check out suspension and alignment.
Although when this truck was new I changed to general AT tires and blew through them! I’ve been reading in here a lot of guys switching from 22s to 20s and getting much better life from their tires.
285/45/22 I think they suck! IMO