Toyo MT's in the snow and ice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I get how that works. How do you guys manage to run 40 psi without having the TPMS warning lamp and dinger going off all the time. Did you get the low limits reset on your TPMS
I actually set my low limit to 25 psi I believe so that I can run 37 psi up front and 35 psi in the rear ... I used alfaobd to do so ...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get how that works. How do you guys manage to run 40 psi without having the TPMS warning lamp and dinger going off all the time. Did you get the low limits reset on your TPMS
I have an AEV procal snap and have mine set for 35psi which will not trigger until I drop 27psi. That is low as you can set them with the procal snap.
D6DCE785-6853-4264-9558-B739D21A8C5A.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most MT's will be ok in deep heavy snow, just like driving in heavy mud the MT lugs help as long as you can keep momentum, but all of them suck in icy/slushy condtions. Granted saved for real winter tires most non-winters will suck in ice. AT tires can give you a boost in performance in the winter without going with a full winter tire. Some excel in snowy conditions like BFG KO2's, GY Duratracs, Toyo AT3, Falken AT3W etc. Mickey Thompson have entered in that realm now with a new AT, Baja Boss AT's. check them out. Lots of sipes and aggresive AT pattern. They're not MT tires but will behave a lot of better in day to day driving when the snow is fresh or the roads have turned a mess with the salt and the cold weather.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Most MT's will be ok in deep heavy snow, just like driving in heavy mud the MT lugs help as long as you can keep momentum, but all of them suck in icy/slushy condtions. Granted saved for real winter tires most non-winters will suck in ice. AT tires can give you a boost in performance in the winter without going with a full winter tire. Some excel in snowy conditions like BFG KO2's, GY Duratracs, Toyo AT3, Falken AT3W etc. Mickey Thompson have entered in that realm now with a new AT, Baja Boss AT's. check them out. Lots of sipes and aggresive AT pattern. They're not MT tires but will behave a lot of better in day to day driving when the snow is fresh or the roads have turned a mess with the salt and the cold weather.
Thanks
I ordered a set of Duratracks a couple of days ago.
I'll just sell the MT's on Craigslist or keep them for a Jeep build that I want to do later this year.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks
I ordered a set of Duratracks a couple of days ago.
I'll just sell the MT's on Craigslist or keep them for a Jeep build that I want to do later this year.
Where in Idaho? If the price was right and depending on condition I might be interested

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some guys like the toyo Mt and some hate them. I was never fond of them any tire I buy for trucks must have snow flake emblems or no go. Good tires and 5-10 sand bags in the bed your good to go.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Some guys like the toyo Mt and some hate them. I was never fond of them any tire I buy for trucks must have snow flake emblems or no go. Good tires and 5-10 sand bags in the bed your good to go.
I never had issues with the TOYO MTs ... if they had those or the Cooper STT Pros in stock I would of gotten either or but these Nitto Ridge Grapplers I love so far, "I" haven't personally taken them to the snow so can't say how they will do but others who have love them as well ... Like I said before, MTs will also make a difference depending on what region of the globe you are in ... snow here in california is not the same as in the east or up in canada ...

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hakkapeliita LT3. Don’t mess around when it’s 90% ice.

Attachments

• 9D5E2CE6-C3A5-4F87-A0F5-1B8DA2DCD73F.jpeg
    9D5E2CE6-C3A5-4F87-A0F5-1B8DA2DCD73F.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 3

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never had issues with the TOYO MTs ... if they had those or the Cooper STT Pros in stock I would of gotten either or but these Nitto Ridge Grapplers I love so far, "I" haven't personally taken them to the snow so can't say how they will do but others who have love them as well ... Like I said before, MTs will also make a difference depending on what region of the globe you are in ... snow here in california is not the same as in the east or up in canada ...

Yep our snow is a lot different. I am up in oregon it's a wet snow vs a dry snow. I had a guy from Montana working for me this winter he said it's colder in oregon at 30deg then Montana at 3 degs because of the moisture. When we get freezing rain that's a different game lol. Take a ice cube out of the freezer and put a dry finger on it It will stick to your finger. Now pull a ice cube out of the freezer and put water on it and see if your finger sticks to it. Toyo MTs are great tires but I never found them to be good in snow. Lots of options out there I've always liked the ko2s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yep our snow is a lot different. I am up in oregon it's a wet snow vs a dry snow. I had a guy from Montana working for me this winter he said it's colder in oregon at 30deg then Montana at 3 degs because of the moisture. When we get freezing rain that's a different game lol. Take a ice cube out of the freezer and put a dry finger on it It will stick to your finger. Now pull a ice cube out of the freezer and put water on it and see if your finger sticks to it. Toyo MTs are great tires but I never found them to be good in snow. Lots of options out there I've always liked the ko2s.
I noticed in the east the snow would just get so compacted in between the lugs that it was like driving with tires made of ice ... snow up in Big Bear was no problem as it got deflected by the actual lugs just like mud does ...

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
My Toyo M/T's have seen 2 winters on my truck. I bought it with the tires used so I never had new tread in my possession. They handle pretty well over-all in the snow but like previously stated, different types of snow change how they handle. If its a wet slushy snow they are great, they seep and stay on the ground. If the snow is thick and compacted they will fill up the seeps and slide. I've just gotten in the habit of testing the snow on the dirt road on my way to the highway. If the big girl is busting loose at 25MPH I know its only gonna be worse at 55MPH. Id love to have a tire that performs as well in snow as it does in mud and sand and not sacrifice tread life for it. But I guess they haven't cracked that code yet. Or I haven't heard about it yet.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Marty Z, I hear you about performance and good tread life, but like you, I have never found a tire that did both for off road use. Very rarely is a hard compound tire superior at anything but tread life, whether it is racing slicks, winter tires, mud tires or rock crawlers. I will put up with less tread life to get better performance, whether it is my street vehicle, summer fun ride or the pickup. In the overall life expense of owning a vehicle an extra set or two of tires is not much of a factor.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Toyo M/T's have seen 2 winters on my truck. I bought it with the tires used so I never had new tread in my possession. They handle pretty well over-all in the snow but like previously stated, different types of snow change how they handle. If its a wet slushy snow they are great, they seep and stay on the ground. If the snow is thick and compacted they will fill up the seeps and slide. I've just gotten in the habit of testing the snow on the dirt road on my way to the highway. If the big girl is busting loose at 25MPH I know its only gonna be worse at 55MPH. Id love to have a tire that performs as well in snow as it does in mud and sand and not sacrifice tread life for it. But I guess they haven't cracked that code yet. Or I haven't heard about it yet.

I run Ko2s they do great in the sand aired down. Mud they do good unless clay. Snow and ice they preformed pretty decent.
Just remember all terrain tires do ok to good in all areas but never fantastic as they are not designed for that.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got the 35x12.5/R17 Duratracs installed yesterday.
My truck handles so much better now! Plus, I got 4.5 mpg back!
It drove so nice that I had to drive to Montana just to do it.

I love the look of the MT's, but they just aren't for this truck I think.
I'll either sell them on Craigslist or buy an old Jeep and put them on it.