Toyota is on the ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Usually, if it is on FB, ignoring is a good policy.

I've read Robert Wimmer's views on authoritative automotive sites in the past and he is speaking from the actual facts. Most of us are in favor of EVs and being good custodians of our planet but you really need to learn how to separate the fearmongering, happy talk, and facts, which Wimmer has done. For example, I've been listening to climate change fearmongering since the 60s yet we are all still here, it is just hot-air fearmongering.

Switching from ICE to EVs isn't like throwing on a light switch, it is a process of evolution into alternative transportation. There are many hurdles to overcome, including electrical infrastructure, EV range, EV recharging times, the cost to own/maintain, and batteries, the Achilles' heel of EV transportation.

I think GM has overstated its goals likely to please the current goals of the politicians. It is interesting to see the push by politicians when collectively, they have little knowledge of the many facets of the technologies that will have to come together to make EVs practical nor do they back their goals with a path to get there or the funds to do it.

Happy talk aside there are realities that you do not hear about, for example, the recycling of battery packs and the mining of minerals for the batteries. For example, did you ever read that the mining process for lithium releases 16.5 tons of carbon dioxide emissions for every 1 ton of lithium that is extracted or that mining lithium requires water-intensive mining operations that ravage natural environments? No, because it is not happing here in the states. EVs create an extensive, albeit indirect, carbon footprint.

I spent a career in automotive and about 5 years of it on various EV technologies before retirement. It will happen but in its own time. There is no magic like "dilithium crystals", at least not yet.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my oldest son has invested heavily into Tesla stock.we now have 3 of them in the family and we're on the list for a cyber truck.we have 2 chargers installed in the house.the kid with the model s plaid can get up here from the coast,around 430 kilometers with 1 quick charge stop.we didn't get one for long distance travelling,more for running into town and other local places.even in rural central British Columbia there's no problem finding a charge station.i would never consider going all ev.the powerwagon stays.it's our primary winter vehicle.we will find out this winter what -40c does to the batteries.our middle son has his in for battery replacement from bottoming it out.i think it is around 14k for replacements.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
my oldest son has invested heavily into Tesla stock.we now have 3 of them in the family and we're on the list for a cyber truck.we have 2 chargers installed in the house.the kid with the model s plaid can get up here from the coast,around 430 kilometers with 1 quick charge stop.we didn't get one for long distance travelling,more for running into town and other local places.even in rural central British Columbia there's no problem finding a charge station.i would never consider going all ev.the powerwagon stays.it's our primary winter vehicle.we will find out this winter what -40c does to the batteries.our middle son has his in for battery replacement from bottoming it out.i think it is around 14k for replacements.
I can round trip to my Mom's place in Sask which is a touch over 500 mile/800 kms on less then a tank of fuel in my wifes 6.4 Challenger

Attachments

• DSCN4053 (2).JPG
    DSCN4053 (2).JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
$2.00 a liter vs 0.
You're living on a differant planet then i am , if you think electricity is "free",lol. What are you going to do if you decide to drive your EV in the Yukon or Nunavut areas.At the moment there are 5 charging stations in the Yukon,which leaves a pile of area with no access to a charging station.

But even as progress towards greater equity and access in the electrification of transportation takes place across Canada, the Yukon and N.W.T. examples make clear that there are specific challenges to navigate when it comes to remote and rural EV charging.

A representative from Nunavut confirmed there are no public EV charging stations currently in the territory saying, “Based on Nunavut’s existing infrastructure, the electricity needed to power electric vehicle charging stations would need to come from a local power plant, which currently all operate on fossil fuels such as diesel. Due to the inefficiency of this process, the Government of Nunavut is unable to consider the creation of electric vehicle charging infrastructure at this time.”

“We have large stretches of the highway where there’s simply no power infrastructure, and then there are other parts where there might be single-phase power line, which would not be able to support the draw from one or multiple DC fast-charging stations.”

Nunavut, too, is plagued with many of these obstacles that have made installing charging stations difficult in its neighbouring territories. Nunavut relies on independent power plants that generate electricity from fossil fuels to power communities. According to NRCan, the territory currently has no EV chargers or incentive programs and the number of EVs on Nunavut roads is unknown.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
You're living on a differant planet then i am , if you think electricity is "free",lol. What are you going to do if you decide to drive your EV in the Yukon or Nunavut areas.At the moment there are 5 charging stations in the Yukon,which leaves a pile of area with no access to a charging station.

But even as progress towards greater equity and access in the electrification of transportation takes place across Canada, the Yukon and N.W.T. examples make clear that there are specific challenges to navigate when it comes to remote and rural EV charging.

A representative from Nunavut confirmed there are no public EV charging stations currently in the territory saying, “Based on Nunavut’s existing infrastructure, the electricity needed to power electric vehicle charging stations would need to come from a local power plant, which currently all operate on fossil fuels such as diesel. Due to the inefficiency of this process, the Government of Nunavut is unable to consider the creation of electric vehicle charging infrastructure at this time.”

“We have large stretches of the highway where there’s simply no power infrastructure, and then there are other parts where there might be single-phase power line, which would not be able to support the draw from one or multiple DC fast-charging stations.”

Nunavut, too, is plagued with many of these obstacles that have made installing charging stations difficult in its neighbouring territories. Nunavut relies on independent power plants that generate electricity from fossil fuels to power communities. According to NRCan, the territory currently has no EV chargers or incentive programs and the number of EVs on Nunavut roads is unknown.
solar power.and why would i drive my ev to on an extended trip to Nunavut??? i have a truck and a travel trailer for travelling.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
solar power.and why would i drive my ev to on an extended trip to Nunavut??? i have a truck and a travel trailer for travelling.
You do realize there's periods of no daylight in the north,that's also when the north experiences its coldest temps .How do you propose to charge anything with solar power when there's no daylight,and building wind turbines is also not feasable up there either

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
There is a geopolitical aspect to EVs. Oil is a finite resource and countries with emerging middle classes have increased global demand. Brazil, India, Mexico, China & others have done well in recent years with consumer demand way up. Its certainly in this countries best interest to become energy independent and start to wean ourselves off reliance on oil and hence ICE vehicles over time. The government can't realistically ban ICE outright easily without causing upheaval and subsequent lawsuits. I suspect they will follow the path similar to tobacco, and eventually make it very expensive to own and operate an ICE vehicle through various taxes/surcharges on vehicle purchase/registration and fuel/lubricants.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
You do realize there's periods of no daylight in the north,that's also when the north experiences its coldest temps .How do you propose to charge anything with solar power when there's no daylight,and building wind turbines is also not feasable up there either
i never said anything about the north.that was all you dude.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i never said anything about the north.that was all you dude.
You quoted my post on the North,lol. BTW when has solar power been "free", even with rebates the panels and required batteries and invertor aren't "free" ;)

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not from Saskatchewan ,haven't been a resident of that province in 40 years.You shouldn't "assume" as you know the old saying :Big Laugh: :waytogo:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it's not free, but it is an order of magnitude cheaper when comparing $/km, whether that dollar is electricity or gasoline.
My co-worker has a Tesla Y, he can drive for 1600km on less than $20 in electricity cost.
No, not free, but pretty insignificant. Not to mention no engine fluids to service.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
not if you live in B.C.
BC's Hydro Electric grid is getting old,and is going to need major upgrading to maintain the electric grid if everybody over there goes electric. Just imagine what's going to happen to your monthly electric bill and yearly tax bill when they start upgrading,lol