Toyota pickups do last longer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As noted above, I've had two Toys with major problems. Toyota is no better than anyone else. As product cycles have speeded up, they have taken more risk. What is interesting to me is the Consumer Reports data on reliability and owner satisfaction for full size 2020 and 21 trucks. The 2020 Toyota Tundra is the most reliable. But that's the only thing that's good about it. It gets a horrible review. It sucks gas, it rides like crap. Its dated inside.

Guess which truck comes in second in reliability and best overall: Its the 2020 Ram 1500 Classic. It also ranks second on the road test to only the newbody Ram 1500. By CR's criteria the Ram Classic 1500 is the best overall truck on the market. The bad news: the newbody Ram 1500 is one of the least reliable, and as a result its overall score is lower (in the middle of the pack). Otherwise the new body Ram 1500 gets a fantastic review, the ecodiesel especially so. It's the highest scoring full size truck on their road test that they've ever had. FYI: Both Chevy and Ford scores worse.

So, even Consumer Reports thinks the new Toyota Tundra is hard to live with, despite its supposedly high reliability. And given my own experience with Toys, I am kind of skeptical of their reliability. So I bought a newbody Ram 1500.

How can anything 2020 be considered reliable when it’s what, less than a year old at best?...lol. If it has any problems within the first year of age, that’s probably not necessarily a reliability issue, it’s more of a manufacturing defect that can be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
How can anything 2020 be considered reliable when it’s what, less than a year old at best?...lol. If it has any problems within the first year of age, that’s probably not necessarily a reliability issue, it’s more of a manufacturing defect that can be corrected.

I've always wondered that as well. Probably why consumer reports is ranked as the least reliable truck on the planet.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always wondered that as well. Probably why consumer reports is ranked as the least reliable truck on the planet.

I wouldn’t trust consumer reports as far as I could throw them because we only hear one side of the story. And besides, how do we always know that that “report” is legit? From what I’ve seen over the years, people ***** about some pretty crazy **** but it’s easier and more convenient to place blame on whatever it is instead of themselves. I’m not saying every case is like that, I’m just saying that how do we know that there’s not a whole bunch more of them like that?

Of course these newer vehicles are going to have more of a possibility for reliability issues just because of the plain and simple fact that they’re a lot more computer controlled as things were back in the 90s.

But you know, it’s just like a long time ago when I was reading tire reviews on a tire site; I quit trusting user reviews and not relying on them when I **** you not, I read a review where somebody had a very bad thing to say about the set a tires that I was looking into and he even have the audacity to publicly say that he never cared to rotate his tires, he never bothered to maintain the proper air pressures and that he did a lot of off-road driving and then he turned around and complained when he only got like 25, 30,000 miles out of his tires and I’m like, really? You’re gonna blame all that on the tires? Hmm.

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will say this for my 2007 Tundra. It had the tow package with 4.30 diffs and 5.7 V8.

It would also your neck from a dead stop.

I believe it would have shown my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi it's Toyota tail lights from a dead start or a rolling start. That thing would really pull. Can't test that theory out since it is long gone though.

One thing it didn't have was that sweet sounding Hemi roar.

Vroom.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1986 Toyota 1 ton I bought new for $8,500.
Most reliable truck I ever owned ever with the 4 cly motor.
I was driving to another province once with it with a slide in truck camper, my parents were towing their RV trailer and the hitch broke on thier truck
I hooked up the trailer and now had the truck very overloaded, but still went 1,300 Kms without a problem with the slide in camper and towing the RV trailer.
The truck was abused by me off road and overloaded it for the time I owned it until I broke the frame in two and it was scrapped after 5 years of me abusing it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will say this for my 2007 Tundra. It had the tow package with 4.30 diffs and 5.7 V8.

It would also your neck from a dead stop.

I believe it would have shown my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi it's Toyota tail lights from a dead start or a rolling start. That thing would really pull. Can't test that theory out since it is long gone though.

One thing it didn't have was that sweet sounding Hemi roar.

Vroom.

I traded my 2017 tundra 5.7 4x4, double cab in for my 2019 ram. It just didn't impress me quality wise. Sure, it had some power and from a dead stop, it would put my 3.21 cc to shame, but from 60-100, I think the ram would win. The Toyota had so many suspension rattles and noises, ride was harsh and it had some kind of fuel issue that would affect cold starts (extended crank times, sputtered starts). They have that massive fuel pump recall, but it doesn't go back to 2017 (though I think it should have). Now, the transmission... the 6 speed is supposed to be near bulletproof. However, it's lazy, slow and just doesn't feel great. I bought the tundra as a replacement for my 2016 ram that was totaled, but was never fully happy with it. I've got my 2019 now, and am happy (though I wish I still had the 3.92s and limited slip the 2016 had).

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HunterDan,

I can't disagree on your assessment of the Tundra. I did like mine, best of all because it was paid for! It was also the nicest vehicle I had owned to that point. Mine was a 2007. The really models of the new, larger had several issues - emission air pumps, drive shaft, front and rear differentials...

I like my Bighorn a great deal. The Hemi actually seems to do a bit better on fuel than the Tundra.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

First year reliability is easily measured by counting warranty claims and recalls, as well as owner surveys. JDPower specializes in this field for manufacturers of all kinds, and its a badge of honor to be rated highly by them.

Yeah, I would say that reliability issues are always design or manufacturing defects, no matter how old the car is. Its an equation:
Design for Quality + Better Manufacturing Consistency = Better Reliability and Better Product, no matter what the product.

A company that makes the best product will be one that is constantly improving. It has product performance and quality rate targets, measures error rates, gets feedback from the manufacturing floor, dealers, and customers and uses statistics to evaluate where improvements will make the most impact. Companies that are on the ball are the ones that do this well. They always are trying to know what needs to be fixed, when they can fix it, how they can fix it, what features are wanted by customers, what their mechanics are having trouble with, etc, etc.

For a long time Toyota did this the best. They won the Deming Prize for Total Quality Control in the 1960s, and were bashing everyone else in the car business from that moment until recently. Enjoy:

https://deming.org/toyotas-management-history/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed to join a site that should be for Mopars only to hear Americans brag on other countries vehicles. Sure Mopar is owned or partly owned by foreign countries because we Americans will trash our own brothers and sisters products and buy others. If you're ok with that that's your business but I'm not the least bit interested. I was born American and I will die American but I will never knowingly or purposely sell her out and brag on anyone else's product over my own peoples products. For the one's that are going to jump on me about your product being made or assembled in America this is all I have to say, If I make a puzzle and I ask you to put it together for me, you can take it to pluto or mars or any planet of your choice and assemble it, IT'S STILL MY PRODUCT! If my brother has a business and makes a product and you make a similar product and yours is better I will still buy from my brother. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, this is just how I feel. Not going to argue about it, I'm not going to change your mind and nothing you can say will change mine so why argue. I just have to question if you feel so strong about other car companies products why are you here? Why would you buy anything else? I know a guy who claims to be a ford lover but will buy a Dodge and if a tire loses air he'll say it's a piece of junk but his ford could have everything on it go wrong and he'll never say anything bad about it. I'll never understand people not liking something and still buy it! You'll NEVER find me buying any other product or be on ANY other brands forums. Thanks

Last edited: