TPM problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EF976666-DD49-4EF0-B9DD-D400CABCD9BB.jpeg hello. I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but I’ve got a 2012 ram 1500 longhorn edition and yesterday night on the way home from work in a very bad storm with extremely heavy rain and flooding the TPM light came on and the passenger rear wasn’t reading any pressure so I pulled over to make sure the tire had air in it and it was fine but the light stayed on. The next day the light was still on and about a hour later of driving it went off and probably 2hrs after that it came back on. Has anyone had this issue? Where should I start to try to fix it? It had tires put on it about 5000 miles ago. So I’m wondering if the sensor needs to be replaced or relearned. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Also traction control was off when I took the picture because it was in 4wd to get up the muddy driveway

OP
OP
Nick Redmond

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree looks like it went out on you.
When they put the new tires on did they replace the TPM’s or re use your old ones?

They were supposed to put all new TPM sensors in but who knows if they actually did it

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
They were supposed to put all new TPM sensors in but who knows if they actually did it

If they did, it should be covered.
You should always ask for the old ones back.
I think they cost 30.00 to 40.00 ea
The new ones that’s is.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New Tpms sensors for my last truck were about $80.00 for the set of 4, ordered online, plus the cost of installation (that happened to be a 2009 Silverado, and I replaced the wheels and tires with new takeoffs). When I called the dealer and my local tire shop they both quoted like $100.00- each......

If you had your sensors recently replaced, you likely have a warranty claim that should get it taken care of.

GM sensors are supposedly good for 10 years battery life. Not sure what the respective sensors for Rams are like for battery life expectancy, but my guess would be 5-10 years.

It looks like comparable Ram sensors are $100-$120 for a set of 4, or $20-$30 individually.

This is where I got my last set, for my previous truck.

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Dodge_RAM_TPMS_Sensor_p/ramtp150-tpsr.htm

If you check around online, using the appropriate oem part number, you will find about 3-4 manufacturers (I.e. Huf, Trw, tps, etc...) supply all of the sensors for the car makers.

If you go to your local tire shop to have the sensor replaced they should program it for you, but in many cases there are ways for you to do it your self. For the Ram the above website states = The vehicle will automatically learn the tire pressure sensors after driving for more than ten minutes above 20 mph.

Even less expensive on eBay - no affiliation, just one example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-OEM-...839781?hash=item59216c5f65:g:diYAAOSwdwlcd1jU

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
Let me get this straight (in my mind) Do ALL TPM have battery's in them? This is the first I've ever heard of this. So to change these battery the tire/wheel will have to be removed and broke down off the rim? Where do you buy these battery's

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Let me get this straight (in my mind) Do ALL TPM have battery's in them? This is the first I've ever heard of this. So to change these battery the tire/wheel will have to be removed and broke down off the rim? Where do you buy these battery's

Yes, I believe they all have batteries in them. They are not replaceable, you replace the whole sensor as far as I am aware.

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dang....I just paid like 20.00 for all four TPMS from a website recommended by a member here. Hope I didn't get shafted on poor quality items.

Wallacehugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to replace battery after seven years on my 2012 RT. When I did that, tpm light came on. I put air in tires at 35 pounds and light stayed for two hundred miles. I was ready to give up. Some said to put 40 pounds in the tire. I put in forty five pounds and drove a short distance and the light went off and stayed off. I did put the pressure back to 35 pound.

Last edited:
R

Rampower2012

Yes if the TPMS sensors battery go's deed you got to replace the whole sensor

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Discount tire can do that for you. They have replaced the sensors for me on a couple of vehicles. Not crazy expensive, either.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feared this day coming, bought my own TPMS tool, Autel TS508 came with 8 universal sensors, Scans clones sensors reads battery health. Only downside, it only programs AUTEL sensors. They have a one size fits all sensor now.

http://www.maxitpms.com/product/701.jhtml

I know everyone don't want to go out and buy these, but most vehicles are going to them unfortunately, so i figured, i'm not going to quit driving.

Probably your best out, buy a pre programmed good quality sensor, 40-80 dollars, maybe, Get it installed and your done, the cool thing about the Rams is that once you install, driving the truck is the learn procedure, Other vehicles require a tool (easier usually very cheap GM=Ford) or you have to put truck in learn mode, (push some buttons, hazard lights key cycle etc) then you have to run around letting air out of the tires in the right order. EVERY TIME YOU SWAP TIRES AROUND, LOL.

Anyway, like i said Rams are easy.