TPMS Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riddawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 and I upgraded to a 7” EVIC out of a 2017 and the TPMS no longer registers and gives the “service TPMS system” error message. If I were to change the sensors in the tires to match the year of the new cluster would the TPMS work or any other ideas?

grainsofsalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I have the same issue, but mine is a 2010. I haven't fixed it yet, but here is everything I've tried.

So for those who don't know, the TPMS is not just saying low pressure or "0" on a tire. It says "--" on ALL four tires. So I took it to a local tire shop to have them install new sensors. $120 for all 4 tires. I started the truck, same message, same "--" on all tires. I instantly walked back inside to inform them that what I paid them to fix wasn't fixed. They rolled their eyes and said, "You need to drive it for about 10 - 20 minutes consistently above 30 mph to let the truck reset itself." So I did, no change. Took it back and told them there was no change. They took the truck back in and said the sensors are good and transmitting so it's not their fault. Whatever.

I researched it for a while and the youtube gurus said I needed a TPMS module. You can find the small black plastic box behind the bumper, but in front of the the front wheel well cover, on the driver side. The part number I got from mine when I pulled it off was a MOPAR TPMS Module 68214826AA. It's a very quick and easy removal. Lots of room to work, take off two nuts, unplug it, pull it off, done. Takes about 2 minutes or less

I bought one module online that the website said would work. Description said that "AA's" aren't made anymore and were updated. So use this 68214826AB instead. Ordered it for about $70, and it didn't fit the plug in. Still trying to return it, but to no avail.

But hey, I had the old part in hand, let's try the auto part stores. I tried NAPA, CarQuest, and Advanced Auto. All three had never seen or even heard of the part I was showing them. When they typed the part number into their system, only tire sensors and valve stems came up. They all said I needed to go to the dealer.

So I went to local Chrysler dealer, took 'em a minute, but finally someone was at least aware of the part. Low and behold they even had it in stock. For a pretty penny of $330! After debating if this whole thing was worth that much I finally forked out the money. Went home, slapped the new one on and started the vehicle. I finally had a different message! All the tires were reading "0" and to check my tire pressure. Not what I wanted, but I was stoked to see some form of progress! My tires are fine, by the way (75 psi all the way around). But hey, now I'll take it on that drive I was told to and see if the truck resets itself.

After about 10 minutes the truck did reset ... back to the damned "--" and "Service TPMS". So that's where I am now. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would love to hear them!

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
Found this doing a search on "TPMS issues 2013" and the "Inside of a 7in EVIC" (I think)...

"2013 uses a different frequency for the tpms which is incorporated into the evic. So 2013 can only use a 2013 evic if you wanted to retain the tpms function."

Farlo442

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Ram 1500. Having problems with the right rear sensor as well. Off and on it goes out, more often it goes out, leaving the other three operating fine. If I am driving against the wind or in wet conditions it seems to effect it.
I thought perhaps there is a sensor by each tire that picks up the valve stem signal, After reading an above post in regards to the system has two modules front and rear to pick up the valve stem signals.

I just rotated the tires and drove for 20 miles, and still shows the right rear, so it isn't the valve stem sensor... Odd that only the right rear is effected... This past weekend I had the left rear come on saying there was only 15 lbs, stopped on gravel and visually checked and tire was fine. Further on our trip to town the pressure registered back to normal, 40 psi...

Dealer originally said to replace all sensors last fall when this started... They claimed the batteries in the valve stem sensors only last about 5 years. Sounds like that module may be to blame at this point... Stupid tire pressure system. not worth $330, may check rock auto.

Alex