TPMS light comes on with HIDs????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a fun one. Nothing I am immediately concerned with but long term I'm wondering what the cause/effect might be.

Here's the situation. I recently installed Morimoto low beam HIDs in my quad housings on my '12 Laramie. Upon initial fire, the TPMS light will come on for 1-3 seconds. It always disappears but I'm wondering if this is something anyone else has experienced. I'm assuming there has to be some sort of interference generated from the ignitor on the ballast(s) that's either scrambling or blocking the signal from what I would imagine is the front tire sensor(s). The light always clears so I doubt it's harming anything but I don't know anything technical about the TPMS receiver(s) and if the interference may actually be affecting that/them in a harmful manner.

Kinda feels like an oddity to me since these aren't your cheap fleaBay run-of-the-mill chineseum hid kits. I know the fleaBay ones have caused radio interference in older vehicles and such. But not knowing anything really about TPMS systems and how they communicate has me wondering about potentially harmful interference in the future.

Anyone else had this? I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn a thing or two about how the TPMS works and HIDs as well just for the extra bit of knowledge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Now that you mention it, yeah.
I put in Low beam HID's on my '17 2500 Tradesman about a month ago. I do remember seeing the amber low tire pressure symbol for a couple of seconds at start up a couple of times. Didn't attribute it to the HID's though. I honestly can't recall if I ever saw it before the change. Guess I don't pay much attention until I put in Drive. Tradesman's have lots of idiot lights. Nice trucks have real analog gauges.
I'll try to catch it next time I fire the B up

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All I can think is the ballasts are creating some radio interference on fire up.