TPMS not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The left rear TPMS stopped working on my 2010 ram at the beginning of winter. The other 3 worked and remain working to this day. I didn't get too worried about it because I had read on here in other threads that they can go into winter mode and stop reading.

Fast forward to now and the temps are getting into the 50's and 60s. Sensor in the left rear position still not reading. So I rotated my tires over the weekend and now the sensor not working is in the front right position. However, on the EVIC, it is still showing the left rear position. I inflated all the tires and the other 3 sensors change to reflect the new readings.

So my question is should I give it a couple more days to try and pick the reading up? How do I move positions of the tire, but the EVIC display doesn't change accordingly? If the display changed and didn't read the front right now, I would totally believe that it's a bad sensor. I have tried unhooking my battery and then driving 6-8 miles at a pretty constant speed with no luck.

Appreciate any help!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they have not been changed before they are over 11 years old so time to replace them

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Probably dead battery in the sensor.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My left rear also went out. 50 bucks to buy it and install mine. It took about 30 miles for it to pick up the new sensor. Mine are all working great now.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like I just need to get them replaced if I want to get rid of the error.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The left rear TPMS stopped working on my 2010 ram at the beginning of winter. The other 3 worked and remain working to this day. I didn't get too worried about it because I had read on here in other threads that they can go into winter mode and stop reading.

Fast forward to now and the temps are getting into the 50's and 60s. Sensor in the left rear position still not reading. So I rotated my tires over the weekend and now the sensor not working is in the front right position. However, on the EVIC, it is still showing the left rear position. I inflated all the tires and the other 3 sensors change to reflect the new readings.

So my question is should I give it a couple more days to try and pick the reading up? How do I move positions of the tire, but the EVIC display doesn't change accordingly? If the display changed and didn't read the front right now, I would totally believe that it's a bad sensor. I have tried unhooking my battery and then driving 6-8 miles at a pretty constant speed with no luck.

Appreciate any help!
After 11 years of use the battery is dead. Time to replace the TPMS from the left rear. The reason the EVIC still shows the tire in the left rear is because that sensor is no longer communicating and cannot report it's new location.

Did the other tires report their new locations and show up properly in the EVIC? If not, I would drive the truck until they do. If you don't want to do that the sensors can be "parked" at their new location with a scan tool or the
TPM-RKE Analyzer at your local dealer. Firestone and Discount and NTB also have a TPMS tool that can do it.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TPMS on the RAMs learns where each sensor is automatically. That's convenient when rotating tires or switching wheel sets but it can't figure things out when one of the sensors is malfunctioning. It just sticks with the last configuration which is why it doesn't change after moving the defective sensor around. The scan tool shows errors like "can't determine front/rear position". Ask me how I know :).

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you replace the sensors,make certain you purchase the correct frequency, 2010s are different than current models
Thats a good point. I didn't think about them being different.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far my tpms is still working, and as handy as it is, when there comes the day it quits, I'll go old school (like I have for the past 40 years)

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far my tpms is still working, and as handy as it is, when there comes the day it quits, I'll go old school (like I have for the past 40 years)

They are nice when you are running down the freeway and hit something with your tire and it starts going down. That is about the only nice thing about them.

OP
OP
A

Aking21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have went all winter long with just ignoring it, so I am tempted to just let it go.. If I talk to it really nice, maybe it would start working LOL. I am actually toying with the idea on buying a new 2500 anyways. a bad sensor is justification for a new truck right????

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
How the hell did mankind survive for generations without all of these gizmo's babysitting us?