Traction/ABS light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoNV2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 2500 with about 22k miles. I’ve had an on-going issue with the ABS and traction control light, plus a message saying Service Anti-Lock Brake System. The stealership has attempted to fix it multiple times and Lee saying its a Speed Sensor. This latest time the truck was in for service they replaced the speed sensor , for about the 3rd time. I drove 2 miles from the dealership and the lights came on again. Brought the truck back and they replaced a wheel hub. Today they called and said all fixed so my wife picked the truck up for the light to come on again when she left the dealership.

I am beyond frustrated that Desert 215 Superstore in Las Vegas can’t fix this issue. The service writer and manager can barely return a phone call and have wasted our time multiple times having us drive 40 minutes each way to pick up a broken truck.

Has anyone had this issue so I can yell them how to do their job and suggest what to fix?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoNV2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should also add the lights seem to come on when the road is rough and the lights will reset and turn off when the truck is turned off.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 PW 28000 mi, had the same type of problem for about a month, it would go off and on with no reason. Bumpy, smooth, wet, dry, didn't matter... Got it in to my local dealer CDJRF of FWB FL, they scanned it and got a C0020 code. Changed the ABS HCU control Part # 68143491AA, all good so far!!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
On a jeep I had the same problem. It was a speed sensor wire that broke the copper but not the insulation. In the electrical field we call that a "waggle conductor". It is a bear to troubleshoot because of the intermittent faults. Took them 2 days to find it. I also got an "implausible speed" error. The vehicle computer knew ti was moving, but 3 of 4 tires had a reading. You can go to a auto parts place and try to get a code reading. The unit HAS to be ABS enabled. There are 3 types of the handheld readers, 1) OBD, 2)OBD+ABD and 3) OBD+ABS+SRS. For the price of a OBD/ABS reader, you can get the AlphaOBD/OBDLink setup and do sooooo much more. Heck you can use the OBDLINK & free phone app and if you friends need a reading, you can barter beverages for readings haha

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have a 2018 PW 28000 mi, had the same type of problem for about a month, it would go off and on with no reason. Bumpy, smooth, wet, dry, didn't matter... Got it in to my local dealer CDJRF of FWB FL, they scanned it and got a C0020 code. Changed the ABS HCU control Part # 68143491AA, all good so far!!
I have same problem and the same part is bbeing replaced in the shop now. Service writer says they see it alot.

OP
OP
S

SoNV2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: The Truck has been at the dealership for over a week and they can’t seem to figure out the issue. Completely ridiculous. Desert 215 Superstore of Las Vegas has the absolute worst service writers and clearly techs that can’t solve an issue. I made a claim with Ram Cares and was told they would be in touch within 24-48 hour, it’s been over 4 days and no word from Ram Cares. Might be time to buy a Ford.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you buy a ford i doubt anyone here would miss you. certainly not me. i say put your money were your mouth is and dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way to the ford store

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 2500 with about 22k miles. I’ve had an on-going issue with the ABS and traction control light, plus a message saying Service Anti-Lock Brake System. The stealership has attempted to fix it multiple times and Lee saying its a Speed Sensor. This latest time the truck was in for service they replaced the speed sensor , for about the 3rd time. I drove 2 miles from the dealership and the lights came on again. Brought the truck back and they replaced a wheel hub. Today they called and said all fixed so my wife picked the truck up for the light to come on again when she left the dealership.

I am beyond frustrated that Desert 215 Superstore in Las Vegas can’t fix this issue. The service writer and manager can barely return a phone call and have wasted our time multiple times having us drive 40 minutes each way to pick up a broken truck.

Has anyone had this issue so I can yell them how to do their job and suggest what to fix?

:)

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nothing more irritating than some sorry sapp that goes around blabbing how he should jump ship to brand x. just do it and be gone.

Philav

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM 2500
Engine
I had the same issue on my 2018 2500 and they replaced the abs pump unit Monday. The mechanic said they had a service bulletin on this very problem. Must be a regular problem. This solved my problem and has not recurred.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue on my 2018 2500 and they replaced the abs pump unit Monday. The mechanic said they had a service bulletin on this very problem. Must be a regular problem. This solved my problem and has not recurred.

Cool!

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Update: The Truck has been at the dealership for over a week and they can’t seem to figure out the issue. Completely ridiculous. Desert 215 Superstore of Las Vegas has the absolute worst service writers and clearly techs that can’t solve an issue. I made a claim with Ram Cares and was told they would be in touch within 24-48 hour, it’s been over 4 days and no word from Ram Cares. Might be time to buy a Ford.

The dealer normally would open a "star" case if they can't figure it out. Albit that 's suspect. I had one opened on my truck for an eletricala issue and nothing has happened in 4 years. The star case is supposed to get one of the corporate engineers to work with dealer service dept to figure out. I don't know about Ram Cares. You see them all over this forum chiming in here and there. Not clear to me they have been able to make something happen.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Cool!

Last edited:

Patrick Venson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2011
Engine
6.7 Cummins and 4.7
I have the same problem with a 2017 ram 3500 the stealership told me it was the hydraulic brake module. and that the problem was known in the 17-18 heavy duties. they quoted >$700 to have it fixed. as I was told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would suggest it's time to try out a new dealer, OP. If they can't find the problem, and it's been a repeat issue, then I'd move to a new dealer. Perhaps one that doesn't sell everything under the sun.

We have one of those down state from me. I wouldn't buy a left shoe from them.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have the same problem with a 2017 ram 3500 the stealership told me it was the hydraulic brake module. and that the problem was known in the 17-18 heavy duties. they quoted >$700 to have it fixed. as I was told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Hi there, we are sorry to hear about the concern you are facing with your Ram! For additional support while addressing this with your dealer, feel free to send our team a private message. We would be happy to investigate further.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Rockchopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I had the same problem. It was driving me crazy going off and on. I didn't have time to get it to the dealer. I don't drive it every day. Mainly use it to pull our RV. I filled the brake reservoir to be sure that wasn't the problem. It didn't stop. The other day driving to work I noticed the error would come on when I was lightly pressing the brake. So when I stopped at the signal light I pressed the brake to the floor several times. The error went off and has not come back on since.

rpellicci21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had this problem as well. ABS light would come in and out while driving down bumpy roads or hitting pothole, etc. I used the AlpaOBD tool and it was coming up as wheel speed sensor intermittent.

I pulled the speed sensor connector above the left rear wheel well and tested for voltage there. Came up with nothing. Traced the wire back along the frame towards the front of the truck until I came to another harness connector underneath the drivers side seat. Few inches away I noticed the wire bundle was chaffed with wire exposed by the transfer case shroud. The way the bundle is routed seems to promote rubbing/chaffing on that shroud. I cut the insulation back and respliced the wire and seemed to do the trick.

During chasing all of this down, I pulled the rear wheel speed sensors to inspect them. Probably doesn't hurt to pull them and clean them once in a while. Mine were filthy from dirt and grime. Could be an issue down the line if the build up could cause the sensor to not rear the reluctor ring.

Attachments

• 0324211453.jpg
    0324211453.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 0324211453_HDR.jpg
    0324211453_HDR.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0222211153b.jpg
    0222211153b.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 0222211203c.jpg
    0222211203c.jpg