Trade in for a new PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They havent offered anything for value on trade in. They want to look at it blah blah blah. The TRX is a possibility if it can tow 10k. I have clearance for the TRX from house hold 6, wife, as long as it's not 80k or more

I would bank on it being over $80k and the tow rating being well south of 10k.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I heard the 2020 are letting you use the lockers outside of 4L. Meister could at least test drive one and report back. I’m sure if WY.Ram let you borrow his house keeper and friend you could talk the salesman in going off road with it too to really see how the new lockers work.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know, it was a high offer, maybe they had a buyer, or maybe they were trying to get out from underneath a Maxcare and also a 3yr unlimited mi warranty on the trans, or maybe they wanted to get me a fair price for the truck and the extra $20k I have into 'making it mine'?? Nah, probably the warranties.

Sounds crazy that I didn't jump on it but if I could just 'splain myself and clear this up, (it'll help me feel better anyway); lol

1) I was hop'n mad at those fools, I could barely see straight. a bit of a situation where they blamed me for my tranny failure, I had Maxcare, and they burned me for $5500, I let it happen in the end, I fought w em til I thought I was gonna rock the service writer, time for me to go do something else, gimme my truck before I f you up. No bueno.
2) I would have started over with a brand new truck, true, but the cost was too high for gains. There's $4k in sales tax and tags, and the additional $20k I have in my '16,, plus the depreciation the moment I take ownership of new truck. Didn't make sense for me.
I bought my '16 in oct of 2015. As you all know they re not exactly throwing huge incentives to the upcoming year vehicle. My depreciation in the first three years was not easy to keep up with, now it's reversed and much more tolerable, the longer I keep it, I feel like I'm not playing into their 'business model' of keeping people upside down on their vehicle, which makes them a ****ton more money.

I'm going to look for that unsolicited letter. It sat around here for a fair amount of time and that 48,000 was a really good looking set of numbers, I finally think I tossed it because well when the housekeeper runs around in a bikini bottom, swat'n me on the butt and trying to get me to do shots with her and her girlfriend at 10am......well if there's principles involved, then she's gotta go. Right? (10am, who cleans house at 10am?) :)

3). I can see the last payment on my '16. It's within $12k and that appeals to me almost as much as that housekeeper.......almost

4) I like my '16, a lot. The new models are badass, no doubt, but so is the '16 and Matter of fact Thuren hardware is on the way as we post, so she's gonna be super sic. If I bought another new truck it would be a couple years after before I could do Thuren and the rest of the mods that I like.

Oh shoot, forgot about Thuren - $22k to $23k additional. Ha Geezus

So a trade didn't work for me, but I also like mine, a lot and the 8-speed wasn't out. But O.P. he's not on the same boat as me in how much he likes his. I don't normally speak for others so I'll be careful here, but he and I were gonna change the color of his last summer or sometime, we didn't get it done, I'm gonna guess it's still not his first choice. sooo I stand by my prev rec - but will add if trade-in it's best to keep the new one for length of term. best being financially prudent anyways.

8 speed and fun to look, even more fun to drive. Or we could always take a shot at changing the color again, but I've read your posts for a year now, and let's just say, with all due respect and a big ol bro hug, you have a certain way you like your **** to be, that might be perfect , and that my friend makes me nervous about touching your truck. Not that it's a problem, perfect is always the goal, but just puckers me up a bit. So, I'm voting for the trade, for both of us. (Little guys drinking blue moons right here)lol good times.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I bet they were trying to get you out of that warranty.

I bought my PW from COS Dodge so have dealt with them before. After a year I realized the PW wasn't working for me so went back to trade in on a diesel and they would only offer me pennies on the dollar for mine. Ended up going up to Brandon dodge in Denver, they gave me a much much better deal.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Delete

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Would you share what they offered you for yours as a trade in?

I say trade it, I know you like your truck but it's not your forever truck, and I think I've noticed the possibility of not fully trusting your '17 (if I'm wrong I apologize, no offense in any way), I'll buy your dethloff if it won't fit your '20, I'll give you what you paid for it too and I'll come to the Springs and remove it too, or you can roll this way.

Already have spiders but someone here would be happy to be second owner.

The tech in the 5th Gen is really thorough and I think first class. A lot of well thought out details, imo. Umm 8-speed.

Collision control, blind spot monitoring,front, rear, bed cameras, the huge inch screen gives a 360 degree Birdseye view around the truck. And a ****ton more, synthetic winch cable, you could even get the color you want. You deserve that

0%, and oh yeah 8-speed

If they give you at least $48k for your tranny muncher I'd say do it today. (The Springs dealer offered me $48k for mine last summer. Yours has more options, your drivetrain has not been modified (I think), I had somewhere around 50k miles at the time, mInes a year older, mine had just eaten its first tranny and they did the replacement, so they knew exactly what my truck was, mods and all

You'd be into the new 8speed.

Maybe Two reasons that would slow me down, the $4k for tax and tags (hate that part), and that sexy f Rebel TRX approved for production next year. (My wife already told me to g.f.). 707hp, in a half ton, a slightly widened, supercharged hemi, for a menacing off-road ish half ton. But if that doesn't have a chance in your life, I say sell me your dethloff and enjoy rolln an 8 speed somewhere between 6 and 14 thousand feet above waterline (and oxygen)

I know, it was a high offer, maybe they had a buyer, or maybe they were trying to get out from underneath a Maxcare and also a 3yr unlimited mi warranty on the trans, or maybe they wanted to get me a fair price for the truck and the extra $20k I have into 'making it mine'?? Nah, probably the warranties.

Sounds crazy that I didn't jump on it but if I could just 'splain myself and clear this up, (it'll help me feel better anyway); lol

1) I was hop'n mad at those fools, I could barely see straight. a bit of a situation where they blamed me for my tranny failure, I had Maxcare, and they burned me for $5500, I let it happen in the end, I fought w em til I thought I was gonna rock the service writer, time for me to go do something else, gimme my truck before I f you up. No bueno.
2) I would have started over with a brand new truck, true, but the cost was too high for gains. There's $4k in sales tax and tags, and the additional $20k I have in my '16,, plus the depreciation the moment I take ownership of new truck. Didn't make sense for me.
I bought my '16 in oct of 2015. As you all know they re not exactly throwing huge incentives to the upcoming year vehicle. My depreciation in the first three years was not easy to keep up with, now it's reversed and much more tolerable, the longer I keep it, I feel like I'm not playing into their 'business model' of keeping people upside down on their vehicle, which makes them a ****ton more money.

I'm going to look for that unsolicited letter. It sat around here for a fair amount of time and that 48,000 was a really good looking set of numbers, I finally think I tossed it because well when the housekeeper runs around in a bikini bottom, swat'n me on the butt and trying to get me to do shots with her and her girlfriend at 10am......well if there's principles involved, then she's gotta go. Right? (10am, who cleans house at 10am?) :)

3). I can see the last payment on my '16. It's within $12k and that appeals to me almost as much as that housekeeper.......almost

4) I like my '16, a lot. The new models are badass, no doubt, but so is the '16 and Matter of fact Thuren hardware is on the way as we post, so she's gonna be super sic. If I bought another new truck it would be a couple years after before I could do Thuren and the rest of the mods that I like.

Oh shoot, forgot about Thuren - $22k to $23k additional. Ha Geezus

So a trade didn't work for me, but I also like mine, a lot and the 8-speed wasn't out. But O.P. he's not on the same boat as me in how much he likes his. I don't normally speak for others so I'll be careful here, but he and I were gonna change the color of his last summer or sometime, we didn't get it done, I'm gonna guess it's still not his first choice. sooo I stand by my prev rec - but will add if trade-in it's best to keep the new one for length of term. best being financially prudent anyways.

8 speed and fun to look, even more fun to drive. Or we could always take a shot at changing the color again, but I've read your posts for a year now, and let's just say, with all due respect and a big ol bro hug, you have a certain way you like your **** to be, that might be perfect , and that my friend makes me nervous about touching your truck. Not that it's a problem, perfect is always the goal, but just puckers me up a bit. So, I'm voting for the trade, for both of us. (Little guys drinking blue moons right here)lol good times.

I had a trans failure at 43k mi. The trans exhibited an indication it was going to fail prior to failure, delayed engagement, sometimes refered to as slipping. From a stop the trans won't engage until higher rpms are reached. Like 1200rpm or something. It was intermittent and DE is more significant then low tranny fluid (it can be but if not, the next option is not so good), I took what I felt to be appropriate steps.

I dropped the trans pan and did a filter and fluid change, and I made an appt at COS Dodge to have the trans evaluated. They made very little effort to diagnose, drove it around the lot, could not get the problem to show itself, so they returned my truck.
I wanted to believe my truck was healthy so I didn't push the issue.

A little improvement maybe but not really and Within 4 weeks the trans went kachunk and fell into limp mode, I made it home, took it back to COS Dodge, after 2 days and no word I called them, run around, no call backs, finally they called to inform me that I needed a new trans and neither my power train or my Maxcare was going to cover it. It was all me because I did the fluid and filter change. Anger and frustration.

So that's the gist of it and the new trans came with a three year unlimited milage so the service writer said "no worries now, Maxcare and the trans warranty have you covered". Can I please have my keys?

The higher than usual offer came soon after that repair, and if I had taken the offer and traded it in both warranties would have died w the trade, so I figured that was their main motivation. And if that were true it may indicate he didn't believe in what they just serviced, But the last statements there are speculation. My truck has performed nothing short of excellent since,

If I knew then what I know now about delayed engagement, I hope I would be able to guide the situation to a different outcome. Although that would require additional patience as well and I'm not sure much has changed there [emoji16]

Dude, side note, for real you need to learn the meaning of the phrase “readers digest version”

warwickram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership could careless about your warranty .Its not coming out of there pocket so it would not motivate there to give you more for a trade. Unless there was a chance of the vehicle being lemon lawed,then FCA would get involved

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dude, side note, for real you need to learn the meaning of the phrase “readers digest version”
I try to be thorough and I was asked. We all oughta learn the meaning of thread-jackers, beat me up somewhere else. Besides you nearly doubled the trauma by quoting me. :)

Edit; there, all cleaned up. Mostly

Last edited:

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dealership could careless about your warranty .Its not coming out of there pocket so it would not motivate there to give you more for a trade. Unless there was a chance of the vehicle being lemon lawed,then FCA would get involved
I was reaching when I wrote that, anything not nice and even slightly plausible, apparently I'm still not over the whole trans thing. I know it's time to move on