Trade the 2022 Level Three PW for a Gladiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd like some quick opinions on this. The gladiator would be an overland or a rubicon. The overland has a lift and 37's on it. Rubicon is standard rubicon and they have an added winch. the overland has a 4 inch lift with fox shocks. both have aftermarket rims. Let the opinions fly. Only reason I'm considering doing it is because I really don't need the wagon and owing 30 k to the bank rather than 51 would be nice.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The short 5 foot bed length of the Gladiator would be a plus in parking versus my Power Wagon if I lived anywhere near a big city, but I don't. Not much into Jeep Rubicons during winter conditions due to we have one in our family living at 9,000 feet elevation. It just slides around, whereas, our Power Wagon, Subaru, and Tacoma don't.

Last edited:

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nope! Would not even be an option with me. Had a Jeep Wrangler for a couple of years and had nothing but problems with it. I can understand wanting to lower a payment for sure but the power wagons are a better option. Both are built for off-road and can be customized for just about anything. But honestly it’s about what fits you the best and what you want to do with it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like some quick opinions on this. The gladiator would be an overland or a rubicon. The overland has a lift and 37's on it. Rubicon is standard rubicon and they have an added winch. the overland has a 4 inch lift with fox shocks. both have aftermarket rims. Let the opinions fly. Only reason I'm considering doing it is because I really don't need the wagon and owing 30 k to the bank rather than 51 would be nice.
SUH, yer wallet, yer decision. I would not do it, would luv PW but not the fuel price, etc.,. But if U R talking a Gladiator with the ED motor, I would steer clear of it. I had a 2015 1500 ED, and TBH, no problems, but I got rid of it after 10K on odometer. MX expensive, and I was actually at a funeral home, pulling out in light to medium traffic, and that critter just stood there. YUP, was gone a few days later. Just my own experience.

But again OP, U do as U see fits, makes U happy and fits yer wallet.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
It depends on what you want to do are you okay with sleeping in a tent or do you want some thing with walls and a heater gladiator isn’t going to work way better gas mileage than the truck but not enough power to get out of its own way my wife has a 2020 jl it’s gutless compared to the truck a gladiator has the same motor and weighs more.we camp in bear country I know that my skinny plywood walls won’t stop a grizzly bear but it’s better than a tent .check my thread my homemade topper lift

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
You can buy campers for the pw that are really expensive and very comfortable or you can be cheap lol like me a mounted tent is better than a ground tent but it’s still a tent

Attachments

• 84CC3D66-19A8-4778-8F6B-21DEF30EB6A3.jpeg
    84CC3D66-19A8-4778-8F6B-21DEF30EB6A3.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ended up not doing it. The dealer bent over backwards for me which I respect but at the end of the day a Gladiator isn't a power wagon. I can afford my truck just fine. It'll be all the sweeter when it's paid for. I've been vehicle bouncing ever since I got rid of my 2004 Dakota. I loved that thing. Just wasn't big enough for the family since it wasn't a crew cab. I'm not sure what I can do to my power wagon to make me love it more but I'll figure it out. I just wish someone could tune this thing. I hate the shift points on this 8 speed like you wouldn't believe. Head to Corwin Dodge in Fargo, ND and speak to Thai if you want a deal. Straight up great salesman.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Smart decision! Not sure what you have done to your pw but the options are endless. Plus you can tow with it!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
homemade topper lift and rock sliders and a spare tire carrier with a diesel powered heaterl
Plus a bunch of bolt ons good luck with your truck post pics of your truck and build extra points from me for homemade stuff

Armyman247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a gladiator that was all setup.. I was getting the same gas mileage as the PW but lacking all the power. I don’t regret it the only thing I miss is having a convertible truck

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
And it would have to be a rubicon to have lockers and stuff and those aren’t cheap

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I guess it’s do you think that the pw is twice as good as the gladiator and what can you afford

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have both the Gladiator and a Ram Sport. My advice keep the PW. Get the Gladiator as a 2nd later.20210810_124833.jpg

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Nice rig I guess for me it’s being able to sleep in the back but not a tent

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I used to have a jk four door 2 people could sleep in it if they were good friends lol

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
smart decision.my son put me on the list for a tesla cybertruck.i told him fine,buy me one,but i'm keeping my powerwagon.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Drive it and see, I guess. I really tried to like the Gladiator Mojave or Rubicon, but just couldn't like it enough to actually buy one.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Since the OP didn't do that deal it's all academic, but it's really about what your specific use case is. The PW outweighs the Gladiator by almost 3k lbs, so that's a more well-planted vehicle in real crappy weather. That same 3k lbs can be a real PITA in soft ground conditions while off-roading. The additional power that 6.4 provides might get you out of that condition, it might not. The Jeep's probably better suited for that particular situation. I don't apply the MPG factor when talking about off-road vehicles. DD's are a different story.

I've built six Wranglers (TJ and JK) and I'm on my fourth RAM. For me, the truck wins over the Jeep but it's still fun to buld and sell now and again. YMMV.

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends on what you want to do are you okay with sleeping in a tent or do you want some thing with walls and a heater gladiator isn’t going to work way better gas mileage than the truck but not enough power to get out of its own way my wife has a 2020 jl it’s gutless compared to the truck a gladiator has the same motor and weighs more.we camp in bear country I know that my skinny plywood walls won’t stop a grizzly bear but it’s better than a tent .check my thread my homemade topper lift
Way better gas mileage than the truck? Not true. My buddy has a gladiator and he gets 14 mpg and I get 13 in my PW day in and day out.