Traded my 4th Gen Diesel for 5th Gen Gasser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only thing to know is you will miss the cummins if towing heavy, otherwise I did the same thing as you and really enjoy the 6.4 there are times I miss the sound and torque of the cummins, but I love the quick warm up times and not worrying about DPF issues and other issues with a 1 mile drive to work. Enjoy it!!!

OP
OP
SOKY_RAM

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the info i am looking for. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Im sure this is in the 4,000 posts but i just want the cliff notes version. Any specific reasons for going redline over amsoil?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
1625179824390.png

The Amsoil EAO17 filter is bigger, get that filter for the 6.4 if you are going to run Amsoil.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Owners manual and RAM call for 0w40 so while under warranty i would use what they say. if you have issues and do your own oil changes they will ask for proof. Your proof better indicate you were using the correct oil

OP
OP
SOKY_RAM

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first thing you need to do is let some air out of the tires. You don’t need 90lbs.

I caught that one on the way home. Was flipping through the dash options and was shocked at the PSI's. I guess that keeps the truck from bouncing around on the car hauler????

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I caught that one on the way home. Was flipping through the dash options and was shocked at the PSI's. I guess that keeps the truck from bouncing around on the car hauler????
get a procal snap and you can lower the psi threshold and adjust speedometer if you are going to put on bigger rubber.

OP
OP
SOKY_RAM

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
get a procal snap and you can lower the psi threshold and adjust speedometer if you are going to put on bigger rubber.

I have Alpha OBD that I used on my 17. Is this a no go on the newer trucks. I know the 18's had to have some extra cord to make the obd link work. Is this required on a 21?

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
My truck loves the Amsoil, it's much quieter than with the Pennzoil spec'd by Ram and I almost never have any startup noise, which I had frequently with the Pennzoil.
For a big truck, it certainly can move.
How is it after nearly two weeks? Do you tow anything significant?

RamMike7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was hard to part with this one but had to take advantage of the market. Plus I was running out of things to do now I have a fresh canvas. Anything I need to know about this 6.4 from the start
I also just went from a 4th gen crew cab diesel to 5th gen regular cab 6.4 with 3.73's. Im still breaking it in before i hook up to the 5th wheel this next weekend to see what performance difference in towing there is going to be. So far im impressed with the 6.4 with the 8 speed. It is much more refined and nimble than my cummins with the 68rfe. Here is a pic of the new, and the old.2021 Ram.jpeg2021 Ram.jpeg2018 Ram and Jayco 5th wheel.jpg

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just swapped my 4th gen Cummins for a 22’ 6.4 also. For the same emissions reasons.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went to the dealer to get a filter when I did my first oil change. The guy at the counter asked if I needed oil and told me make sure I use 0w-40 because they have one in the shop right now getting a new engine because the owner did not use the right oil. Everyone has there own opinion on a brand but dodge developed the penzoil version specifically for that engine and they warranty it if something goes wrong means it's probably well developed. If you do go with penzoil make sure you find the one ment for the SRT engines NOT the European formula!

What do you guys mean by it running quieter? The only thing I hear on start up is the exhaust flowing through the manifolds or at least that's what was explained to me. Sometimes I don't drive it for a week at a time and I don't even get much if any of a lifter tick.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I went to the dealer to get a filter when I did my first oil change. The guy at the counter asked if I needed oil and told me make sure I use 0w-40 because they have one in the shop right now getting a new engine because the owner did not use the right oil. Everyone has there own opinion on a brand but dodge developed the penzoil version specifically for that engine and they warranty it if something goes wrong means it's probably well developed. If you do go with penzoil make sure you find the one ment for the SRT engines NOT the European formula!

What do you guys mean by it running quieter? The only thing I hear on start up is the exhaust flowing through the manifolds or at least that's what was explained to me. Sometimes I don't drive it for a week at a time and I don't even get much if any of a lifter tick.

I have read this too. Read Burla's posts. He is more informative than most when it comes to oil & filters. I have used Penz 0W-40 for 80k with no problems as of now. Filters you really need to look out for. The Mopar ones are NOT good from the articles I have read. I have ONLY been using Fram Synthetic not any of the other media or WIX XP synthetic. Both show to filter well for the money. I wouldn't use anything with paper media. They seem to fail often. My truck gets used too. Summers I am pulling a 13k 5th wheel nearly every weekend. I change early at 5-8,000 intervals just to make sure I keep the new valve system clean. If the needle bearings get gunked up it will take out the whole top end of the motor & possible more. Another reason why I am not straying from what FCA recommends. Every person on here that has had cam & lifter issues were NOT using Penzoil 0W-40. Probably start a war on here but that is what they recommend & that is what I choose to use.