Traded my 4th Gen Diesel for 5th Gen Gasser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have read this too. Read Burla's posts. He is more informative than most when it comes to oil & filters. I have used Penz 0W-40 for 80k with no problems as of now. Filters you really need to look out for. The Mopar ones are NOT good from the articles I have read. I have ONLY been using Fram Synthetic not any of the other media or WIX XP synthetic. Both show to filter well for the money. I wouldn't use anything with paper media. They seem to fail often. My truck gets used too. Summers I am pulling a 13k 5th wheel nearly every weekend. I change early at 5-8,000 intervals just to make sure I keep the new valve system clean. If the needle bearings get gunked up it will take out the whole top end of the motor & possible more. Another reason why I am not straying from what FCA recommends. Every person on here that has had cam & lifter issues were NOT using Penzoil 0W-40. Probably start a war on here but that is what they recommend & that is what I choose to use.
I'm gonna have to read more into the filters. It seemed like the stuff I read the mopar filter had quality parts. I believe it's made by Purolator or WIX. I don't like oil change intervals to be over 5,000 if I can avoid it oil changes are cheaper than a new engine, plus the 0W-40 SRT oil is carbon neutral so it not hurting the environment when I do oil changes. Lol

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
2022 6.4 with 4.10s ordered on 9/11... in D1 status right now

I've got the 2021 3500 6.4 Hemi with 4.10s with 2500 miles. You'll love it. We just got back from another 400 mile trip with our camper.

Love that 8 speed trans on the highway and the lower gearing on dirt roads. Downshifting on the steering wheel to lock lower gears can be handy.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered my new ram 3500 with the 6.4 yesterday. Hopefully it does not take too long to get here

jeffawats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
been back and forth on taking advantage of the market since my Gen 4 1500 is worth stupid money right now .Just wish they made QC in a 2500

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have Alpha OBD that I used on my 17. Is this a no go on the newer trucks. I know the 18's had to have some extra cord to make the obd link work. Is this required on a 21?
You can change the tire pressure threshold on 19+. At least I can on my 20 tradesman

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm gonna have to read more into the filters. It seemed like the stuff I read the mopar filter had quality parts. I believe it's made by Purolator or WIX. I don't like oil change intervals to be over 5,000 if I can avoid it oil changes are cheaper than a new engine, plus the 0W-40 SRT oil is carbon neutral so it not hurting the environment when I do oil changes. Lol
Maybe I am wrong here but I thought I read where the Mopar filter is made out of paper media. Not nearly the quality of Wix XP or Fram Synthetic. There are several youtube videos of guys cutting them open & showing who has the best quality as well as price differences. For the money it is hard to beat either of those I mentioned above.

matemike

Reaction score
I put an order in on Oct 22 and still have not received word from my dealer that Chrysler "picked it up" yet.

I've never owned a diesel and don't want to due to $10k price increase, truck weight increase = payload decreases and 95% daily driving empty, not towing. This 6.4 with 8spd and 3.73's should be a dream to drive compared to my 10 year old GMC 1500 and tow our 7k lb camper better too. I just wish it were a better time in the market to be doing all this.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I traded in my eco diesel for a hemi. I feel much better with the hemi, not waiting for the other shoe to drop with the engine.

OP
OP
SOKY_RAM

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a 4th gen still. 5th gen HD doesn’t exist

If they don’t exist what gen is my 2022 2500?

In this day and age you really have to ask... How does your truck feel? Mine feels like a 5th gen and will always identify itself as a 5th gen. Nothing against 4th gens as I love those trucks. But this truck was just made this way.