Tradesman with power wagon package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Trailer tow capacity is not on the door sticker
Should have clarified my answer, good catch. The payload capacity will be in there, and my experience, and reading countless posts in this forum, show that payload will most likely be reached long before towing capacity is reached. The trailer weight rating can be found here. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the power wagon package have any down sides like lower mpg or handling compared to the off road package
it will get slightly less mpg simply because it will sit a bit higher than a truck with just the offroad package and it will have a winch which adds weight and more aggressive tires which all add up to a little mpg penalty.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
it will get slightly less mpg simply because it will sit a bit higher than a truck with just the offroad package and it will have a winch which adds weight and more aggressive tires which all add up to a little mpg penalty.

4:10 gearing makes a difference in mpg too.

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The power wagon has a taller front suspension. The power wagon uses a different part number on the track bar for this reason. The power wagon has the optional disconnecting sway bar for rock climbing, etc. If you wish to run 35's on it, it will rub unless you lift the front...level kit. Some may chime in and state they run 35's without rubbing, and that may be true if it's gonna be a pavement princess, but the it needs that extra 2 1/2 inches if you go to any amount of suspension compression or it will rub. That's my $.02 and it's worth what you paid for it, YMMV, I'm usually wrong...

I fit 37's on mine with a simple 1.5" coil up front and had no rubbing with the proper trimming. My father ran 35's on his bone stock and never rubbed off-road anywhere/anytime.

PWonly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it’s only a few hundred difference, buying the Tradesman will bite you when you sell or trade it. All they’ll look at is the odometer and the trim level. Options don’t mean squat on used vehicle pricing.

Very true, neither do any modifications.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The power wagon has a taller front suspension. The power wagon uses a different part number on the track bar for this reason. The power wagon has the optional disconnecting sway bar for rock climbing, etc. If you wish to run 35's on it, it will rub unless you lift the front...level kit. Some may chime in and state they run 35's without rubbing, and that may be true if it's gonna be a pavement princess, but the it needs that extra 2 1/2 inches if you go to any amount of suspension compression or it will rub. That's my $.02 and it's worth what you paid for it, YMMV, I'm usually wrong...

At least for my truck, the 35s have not rubbed at all with the stock wheels. I have not flexed it out all the way yet, however.

20210607_202036.jpg

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
STT Pro, 35s. No rubbing here!

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_150236687.jpg
    IMG_20210906_150236687.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 7

Timmerduder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2021 power wagon tradesman version. It came with the advanced cruise control, lane assist and collision protection with auto windshield wipers and lights as well as the ram boxes. I looked at the 75th anniversary for 77k and bought mine for 57k... Beautiful truck I wouldn't have done it any other way for the value. The only thing I would change would probably be the chrome bumpers, besides that it's got everything for $20,000 less.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also a PW 2500 has about the same cargo cap. (1300# or so) as my 1500 laramie..so why not get a 1500 PW..wouldnt it run better being quite a bit lighter..just thinking out loud.

Solid front axle vs IFS, Transfer cases, frame strength, factory winch option, smaller axles, durability.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
View attachment 244985
no that is not true. the power wagon and the tradesman with pw option are the same suspension and mechanically wise.
Retired is right. They are Identical in every way. Where it Counts. The Power Wagon Tradesman is all Business. There were options I wanted that weren't available on the Tradesman. That's why I ordered the Regular Power Wagon. I looked at both well over a year. Before I decided. I ordered mine de-badged. That said. If you can get what you want in a Tradesman PW. That's what I would do. I agree with Retired. I like the Tradesman Grill a lot better myself. I also like the Chrome Bumpers, Solid Colors, and Solid Rear Window. I have had mine a little over 15 months. I Love my Truck. The PW Grill is finally starting to grow on me a little. But I've always liked the Tradesman Grill.

Last edited:

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
If it’s only a few hundred difference, buying the Tradesman will bite you when you sell or trade it. All they’ll look at is the odometer and the trim level. Options don’t mean squat on used vehicle pricing.
That's True. But I bought mine thinking it will be my last Truck. I only worried about what I wanted. I didn't worry about resale value. Besides. All that Resale value comes with the initial outlay up front. The different Trim levels, are where most of the options are located. There are a few things available separately .

Last edited:

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I am much like you though...i kind of prefer the bare bones “tough” look of the tradesman. Just wish they offered that look loaded up inside.
I agree. I grew up with Solid Colors and Chrome Bumpers. I'm over 55. So I went with the extra Comfort of what's inside. I like the outside of mine. But given a Choice . I would have Chosen all of my options with the Tradesman exterior. I like my Wheels okay. But given a Choice. I like the 2016 PW Wheels better. Given another Choice. I wish we could have gotten the 6Spd. Stick that was available in 2018, with the Cummins. But attach it to the 6.4 Hemi. Remove the MDS, and add A Super Charger to it. For working/pulling at high altitudes. Leave the Truck type Cam. Where the Torque sits at the low to Mid RPM Range. Perfect for me.:):):).

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having had both the only complaint I had about the tradesman:
- headlights are not bright enough (change the bulb but still not as bright as the LED’s)
-tradesman door arm rest is hard, elbow would hurt after long trips.

Besides that there I didn’t have any issues with the tradesman.

35’s will fit with no problem either on road or off.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's True. But I bought mine thinking it will be my last Truck. I only worried about what I wanted. I didn't worry about resale value. Besides. All that Resale value comes with the initial outlay up front. The different Trim levels, are where most of the options are located. There are a few things available separately .
Agree, last thing to worry about is resale value. If money is going to factor at all, then depreciation is more the issue. That is a better measurement of the cost of owning the truck. Have to also look at financing, if done then more loss. I added 8.4 radio, function fogs, and other interior factory upgrades much cheaper than I could get in a equally provisioned truck on the lot, and made the truck exactly how I wanted.