Tradesman with Powerwagon Package vs Powerwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I love basic Rams, I bought the Tradesman 2500 in 2019, spent a heck of a lot less than even the next higher trim, then added all the factory options I wanted and still thousands less. Last I knew, PW really eats into payload. On my 3rd Ram and generally just maintenance and a front bearing and a couple header bolts over a couple decades. Simple rules for me. Good luck.

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
My 2014 HD Tradesman has a weight rating of 3250, Way more than the powerwagon. The Tradesman is for work, the powerwagon is for FUN. The powerwagon will do the JOB, the Tradesman does is better. Get what your heart is telling you or you'll resent your choice. Use the Ram truck website to find out the exact weight ratings for your truck by VIN #.

Timmerduder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to buy a Powerwagon to replace my 2014 Lariat F150. I went through the build and price on the Ram website and it seems like the Tradesman + Powerwagon package with a couple of options thrown in puts you within spitting distance of a lightly optioned Powerwagon. Am I wrong? Is their any reason to go with the Tradesman trim?

Are the Tradesmans much lighter(IE higher payload capacity) than a lightly optioned Powerwagon trim?

How does the powerwagon tow? I have a 5500 lb travel trailer that I tow around UT, WY, MT, ID and CO, so high elevations and lots of big grades. Will the 6.4L do well? My current F150 is an Ecoboost and pulls really hard but has trouble with cooling once the temperatures get hotter in the summer.
I got my 21 power wagon tradesman nicely optioned with the automatic cruise control automatic wipers ram boxes line of bed the eight and a half inch or whatever touch screen fog lights etc for 57k when I looked at the 75th anniversary they wouldn't sell it to me for 75k. I thought that was a pretty good deal 57k... It's a heck of a truck, nice driving nice handling. It's a little squirrely with the 410 rear end, very quick. Gas mileage not so great if you keep your foot in it I get about 12 but if I am on the highway doing 65 or less I can get almost 16. Totally stock.

Timmerduder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 Power Wagon lightly optioned as follows (1450lb payload):

-Level 1 (LED headlights thank God)
-Towing Tech (360 cameras, etc.)
-Vinyl Floor
-Trailer TPMS
-Bed Utility
-Dual Alternators

I tow a 21’ travel trailer that weighs 6,100lbs wet. I’ve spent a lot of time towing through CO/NM/UT (high mountain passes and/or summer heat) and am always impressed by the truck. The ZF trans, 4.10 gears, and cooling will surprise you. On steep grades the truck is happy around 4k RPM, converter locked. It’s not 6.7 PowerStroke fast but I’ve never felt that I didn’t have enough power/torque.

Gas mileage towing is ~9mpg average with my 285/75R17 (34”) Cooper ST Maxx E load tires.

The same drivetrain in a non-Power Wagon is rated to tow a lot more than 10k lbs, so the cooling system is never a concern. Trans stays at ~170* and oil is ~220* with or without a trailer. It really feels like the PW drivetrain would pull 15k without complaining, suspension aside.

Note: I did replace the rear bump stops with SumoSprings SSR-312-47 which made a huge difference in the inherent instability when towing with a big squishy off-road truck.
I have a 21 as well, I regularly tow my travel trailer that's about 6,000 with no problem at all. One time I did tow my 12,000 lb 4x4 dump truck and I hardly knew it was behind me. I towed it several miles on windy roads without an issue.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I built the 2022 2500 4X4 Tradesman because the special PW offroad package severely derated the payload capacity.
2500 4x4 4Dr Tradesman 6.4Hemi 3,300 pound payload
2500 Powerwagon 6.4Hemi
<1900 pound payload
2500 4X4 Tradesman Cummins Diesel
<1900 pound payload

If you look at putting 3 x 225pound people plus 50pounds tools each… the Powerwagon & Cummins only leaves you with ~1,000 pounds for other stuff…including hitch weight.

If you need a real workhorse, get the 3500. My 6.4L 2500 Tradesman can carry more than I need but otherwise the PW & Cummins are pointless due to the weight/suspension issues.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MASS-HOLE: LED'S are night and day. I have an early build Bighorn (2018) and have LED lighting. Now, mine are fixed, standard reflector, not move like on higher trims but they R great. I will never buy another vehicle with Halogen lighting. Just a BOIRD's view.
I have a 2019 bighorn with them. Hated now you have to go larime or limited to get them now

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 bighorn with them. Hated now you have to go larime or limited to get them now
YUP, do like my LED's. Now, I may drive after dark 2 days a month, but nothing better IMHO..

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 HD Tradesman has a weight rating of 3250, Way more than the powerwagon. The Tradesman is for work, the powerwagon is for FUN. The powerwagon will do the JOB, the Tradesman does is better. Get what your heart is telling you or you'll resent your choice. Use the Ram truck website to find out the exact weight ratings for your truck by VIN #.
Yes, you are correct that a Tradesman has a higher weight rating (payload and trailer weight) than a Power Wagon. However just to clarify the original post is asking about a Tradesman WITH the Power Wagon option package which effectively reduces the weight ratings to the same level as a Power Wagon. The only reason I am posting this is to make sure somebody doesn't think you can do a Tradesman with the PW package and somehow skirt the lower payload and trailer towing capacity associated with the Power Wagon. It is the lower rated tires, taller and softer suspension, etc... that comes with either a Power Wagon or the Power Wagon option package on the Tradesman that reduces the capacities.
These next comments are not specific to the post quoted above. If you really need higher payload and towing capacities and the off-road capabilities of the PW you can always modify the truck with aftermarket parts. Obviously you lose the factory warranty on those parts and the ability to role the expenses up in monthly payments, but if you need it then you need it. The first option is to start with a Power Wagon and modify the suspension and tires....though the payload will police will jump on here and comment that "legally" it doesn't change the rated numbers on the door sticker, which is true. The other option is to buy a Tradesman, or even one with a Cummins in which there is no PW package available, and modify the drivetrain with front and rear lockers, aftermarket suspension, etc... Just have to review your needs and punch some numbers to see which makes more sense cost wise. Considering the PW option package is $8k you would have some money to play with in regards to modifying a truck.

OP
OP
mass-hole

mass-hole

Reaction score

There is a Powerwagon package available with the Tradesman trim. It effectively makes it a Powerwagon without the appearance package and some options. But it still reduces the GVWR to 8575 or whatever it is.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, you are correct that a Tradesman has a higher weight rating (payload and trailer weight) than a Power Wagon. However just to clarify the original post is asking about a Tradesman WITH the Power Wagon option package which effectively reduces the weight ratings to the same level as a Power Wagon. The only reason I am posting this is to make sure somebody doesn't think you can do a Tradesman with the PW package and somehow skirt the lower payload and trailer towing capacity associated with the Power Wagon. It is the lower rated tires, taller and softer suspension, etc... that comes with either a Power Wagon or the Power Wagon option package on the Tradesman that reduces the capacities.
These next comments are not specific to the post quoted above. If you really need higher payload and towing capacities and the off-road capabilities of the PW you can always modify the truck with aftermarket parts. Obviously you lose the factory warranty on those parts and the ability to role the expenses up in monthly payments, but if you need it then you need it. The first option is to start with a Power Wagon and modify the suspension and tires....though the payload will police will jump on here and comment that "legally" it doesn't change the rated numbers on the door sticker, which is true. The other option is to buy a Tradesman, or even one with a Cummins in which there is no PW package available, and modify the drivetrain with front and rear lockers, aftermarket suspension, etc... Just have to review your needs and punch some numbers to see which makes more sense cost wise. Considering the PW option package is $8k you would have some money to play with in regards to modifying a truck.
Making a statement that one can buy a truck with the PW package and then upgrade the vehicle to increase the payload really, at best, begs the question of why someone would buy a power wagon package only to remove just about everything (but the winch and some graphics) that makes it a power wagon. At worst, someone thinks all they have to do is put new shocks on it and, voila, it has tons of capacity. The sum of its parts designs it for a purpose not commensurate with heaving towing.

It isn't just about the numbers printed on the door, it is heading off into the unknown with more mass than originally intended and then moment arrives where an unexpected event occurs because some part, either original or non-specified replacement part fails due to the mismatched combination. The hope is that this event only impacts the driver, but sometimes it ends up impacting others and all arises from a "hey y'all, watch this" moment where someone knows they put the right parts on and the numbers are just made up.

And using the truck not as designed voids the whole warranty and any extended warranty, plus adds potential liability problems elsewhere. Losing warranty on the aftermarket parts pales in comparison. Read Ram's warranty policy, specifically why it will void a warranty.

If one wants to tow large, one buys the right truck and tows their fun-vee to the trail.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If its a straight up tradesman...no thanks...test drove one before I bought my 21 75th anniversary PW (61.5k otd)...if I had dentures they would have shattered...what a jarring ride compared to the PW....like night and day...wife said on the test drive...we're done, pls take this back to dealer stat. ..we tow a 4 position enclosed sled trailer 5 hrs each wayq....loaded with gear for 4 days and 4 not small guys..barely feel the trailer and rides like a dream for an HD...

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Making a statement that one can buy a truck with the PW package and then upgrade the vehicle to increase the payload really, at best, begs the question of why someone would buy a power wagon package only to remove just about everything (but the winch and some graphics) that makes it a power wagon. At worst, someone thinks all they have to do is put new shocks on it and, voila, it has tons of capacity. The sum of its parts designs it for a purpose not commensurate with heaving towing.

It isn't just about the numbers printed on the door, it is heading off into the unknown with more mass than originally intended and then moment arrives where an unexpected event occurs because some part, either original or non-specified replacement part fails due to the mismatched combination. The hope is that this event only impacts the driver, but sometimes it ends up impacting others and all arises from a "hey y'all, watch this" moment where someone knows they put the right parts on and the numbers are just made up.

And using the truck not as designed voids the whole warranty and any extended warranty, plus adds potential liability problems elsewhere. Losing warranty on the aftermarket parts pales in comparison. Read Ram's warranty policy, specifically why it will void a warranty.

If one wants to tow large, one buys the right truck and tows their fun-vee to the trail.
I understand what you are saying, but never made any statement about removing all of the PW specific options.......and absolutely no reason to remove the vast majority of them. Slap a set of air bags on the back and maybe upgrade the tires, though the factory D rated tires I think are rated at almost 3,000 lbs. each at max pressure. Really don't think upgrading to a higher capacity tire really qualifies as "replacing everything on a PW package".
In regards to comments about heading into the unknown and parts failing that is getting into kinda' of a radical statement. I stated that if you need the off-road capabilities of the PW but needed higher load and towing capacity you could modify a regular 2500 or 3500 truck, and adding lockers, swaybar disconnect, custom suspension, etc... is way more modifications versus adding air bags and maybe tires to a PW. And really, it's pretty common for people that are going into the serious "unknown" regions most likely have done some sort of modifications to their vehicles anyway. Not like Thuren or Carli suspensions and bigger tires is some crazy and unusual modification!
Yes, the warranty issue is a concern as I mentioned in my post also and something that needs considered. Again, you need to think about what you really need versus want (or just think it's cool) in a truck when you decide what model to buy or what modifications to make. I'm sure there are people out there that have a single vehicle that they need to haul a trailer during the week for work, maybe haul a camper on the weekend, but have decent off-road abilities or simply better capability to get to their remote cabin or campsite, etc....

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
if you have the storage space/funds,i highly recommend a power wagon and a couple of utility trailers for the heavy hauling stuff,unless you need to carry a slide in truck camper.i tow a 26' travel trailer,my side by side or several different boats,the biggest being my 21' deck boat and my p/w does it with no drama at all and i don't have to sacrifice the comfort you get in the powerwagon.i personally would rather beat up one of my utility trailers than the truck box.contrary to what the cummins fanboys say,the powerwagon can tow and with a utility trailer it can carry.if you need to tow a big ass trailer with a crazy tongue weight then neither truck is what you're looking for.if it's all about $$,then never mind.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No leather option on a tradesman plus chrome bumpers is a no-go for me...

Don't tradesman come by default with black bumpers? Don't think you need to get chrome.

Can't help on the "no leather", but that's a plus for me anyway, I prefer the cloth. Actually you can probably do katzkin and get higher quality leather than OEM anyway.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't tradesman come by default with black bumpers? Don't think you need to get chrome.

Can't help on the "no leather", but that's a plus for me anyway, I prefer the cloth. Actually you can probably do katzkin and get higher quality leather than OEM anyway.
The tradesman with pw package comes with chrome bumper

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have the storage space/funds,i highly recommend a power wagon and a couple of utility trailers for the heavy hauling stuff,unless you need to carry a slide in truck camper.i tow a 26' travel trailer,my side by side or several different boats,the biggest being my 21' deck boat and my p/w does it with no drama at all and i don't have to sacrifice the comfort you get in the powerwagon.i personally would rather beat up one of my utility trailers than the truck box.contrary to what the cummins fanboys say,the powerwagon can tow and with a utility trailer it can carry.if you need to tow a big ass trailer with a crazy tongue weight then neither truck is what you're looking for.if it's all about $$,then never mind.
Agree with that. I use a trailer all the time to haul bigger items. Even one of those smaller 7x12 single axle flatbed trailers comes in really handy. With a fold down rear gate/ramp and the deck height it is WAY easier to load and unload items on versus getting them in the bed of the PW. They are also pretty cheap when compared to the price of any newer truck! The only downside is that in some situations simply having a trailer makes it a little inconvenient in getting around tight spots, but with that small single axle those times are few and far between.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The tradesman with pw package comes with chrome bumper

Are you sure about that though? When I use build and price and select the tradesman option it says this:

• Black powder-coated front bumper
  • Black wheel centre hub
  • Black wheel flares

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure about that though? When I use build and price and select the tradesman option it says this:

• Black wheel centre hub
  • Black wheel flares
looks chrome to me but I suppose it could be identifying as black :) never know these days.IMG_20200826_103405413.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

• Black wheel centre hub
  • Black wheel flares
Yep, unless they changed stuff in 2023, they come with chrome bumpers.