Tradesman with Powerwagon Package vs Powerwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
looks chrome to me but I suppose it could be identifying as black :) never know these days.View attachment 512689

You can put chrome bumpers on a tradesman. That's an option, by default the tradesman has black bumpers. So I'm not convinced adding the power wagon option adds chrome bumpers because as I wrote in my last post the powerwagon option specifically mentions black bumpers as well.

My guess is most dealers just add the chrome.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand what you are saying, but never made any statement about removing all of the PW specific options.......and absolutely no reason to remove the vast majority of them. Slap a set of air bags on the back and maybe upgrade the tires, though the factory D rated tires I think are rated at almost 3,000 lbs. each at max pressure. Really don't think upgrading to a higher capacity tire really qualifies as "replacing everything on a PW package".
In regards to comments about heading into the unknown and parts failing that is getting into kinda' of a radical statement. I stated that if you need the off-road capabilities of the PW but needed higher load and towing capacity you could modify a regular 2500 or 3500 truck, and adding lockers, swaybar disconnect, custom suspension, etc... is way more modifications versus adding air bags and maybe tires to a PW. And really, it's pretty common for people that are going into the serious "unknown" regions most likely have done some sort of modifications to their vehicles anyway. Not like Thuren or Carli suspensions and bigger tires is some crazy and unusual modification!
Yes, the warranty issue is a concern as I mentioned in my post also and something that needs considered. Again, you need to think about what you really need versus want (or just think it's cool) in a truck when you decide what model to buy or what modifications to make. I'm sure there are people out there that have a single vehicle that they need to haul a trailer during the week for work, maybe haul a camper on the weekend, but have decent off-road abilities or simply better capability to get to their remote cabin or campsite, etc....
I agree that the right truck is important to buy. In the case of needing to tow heavy loads, or carry a lot of payload, the only option is buy a truck rated for the weight needed and then off-road within the limits of that truck. Bags or other items will not increase the payload capacity of a PW, those items are only wasted money if that is why one is adding them.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can put chrome bumpers on a tradesman. That's an option, by default the tradesman has black bumpers. So I'm not convinced adding the power wagon option adds chrome bumpers because as I wrote in my last post the powerwagon option specifically mentions black bumpers as well.

My guess is most dealers just add the chrome.
Incorrect. The tradesman power wagon has come with chrome bumpers ever since its been made. Unless ‘23 has changed, they will still have chrome bumpers.

Now, the tradesman without the power wagon does have black bumpers by default, with a chrome option.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Incorrect. The tradesman power wagon has come with chrome bumpers ever since its been made. Unless ‘23 has changed, they will still have chrome bumpers.

Now, the tradesman without the power wagon does have black bumpers by default, with a chrome option.
x10...I have seen many tradesman with PW package and all have had chrome bumpers. In fact this 2022 blurb it says the pw package adds bright bumpers..so might be a 2023 deal.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

x10...I have seen many tradesman with PW package and all have had chrome bumpers. In fact this 2022 blurb it says the pw package adds bright bumpers..so might be a 2023 deal.

Either you're wrong or the Ram website is.

RAeaqoX.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either you're wrong or the Ram website is.

View attachment 512709

We said unless there is a change for 2023, they will be chrome, like they have been ever since the started making them. That isnt wrong.

And what…they put a chrome one on the back?! Lmao

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And…ive never used the ram trucks website without it having issues. Its always screwed up.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We said unless there is a change for 2023, they will be chrome, like they have been ever since the started making them. That isnt wrong.

And what…they put a chrome one on the back?! Lmao

5th item from the bottom. It says the rear one is powder coated.

might want to re-read my post...

It really doesn't matter to be honest. I'm not likely to purchase a power wagon in any version or color, I'm just not the target audience.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that the right truck is important to buy. In the case of needing to tow heavy loads, or carry a lot of payload, the only option is buy a truck rated for the weight needed and then off-road within the limits of that truck. Bags or other items will not increase the payload capacity of a PW, those items are only wasted money if that is why one is adding them.

HA! 110% incorrect…unless you are the payload police.
While I agree that adding air bags or other components do not add payload capacity on paper or per the door sticker, however functionally they do. Not sure if that is what the comment that is quoted at the top of this message is referring to or not. If they are saying that functionally adding the right components do not increase the payload capacity I would like to know the reasoning behind it.

As the other quoted message refers to there are always the payload police that jump on these conversations and say how you will get arrested and spend the rest of your life in jail if fill up the bed over the rated payload of the truck or the trailer is over by 100 lbs. compared to the trailer towing capacity. Always love it when you say a PW is "only" rated to two around a 10,000 lb. trailer but then somebody jumps on here and asks if a 7,000 lb. trailer is pushing it too much!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yet here you are

I had looked extensively into the PW as I was interested, in the end I decided it was not for me.

In your mind that means I should never post information I obtained doing said research, in a PW thread?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In your mind that means I should never post information I obtained doing said research, in a PW thread?

Heck yes you can post…just dont tell us we are wrong when we arnt! LOL

If it wasnt for you posting that pic of the ram website, i wouldnt be wondering now if they are gonna come with black bumpers. Thats what i liked about the tradesman power wagon…i think aesthetically it looks a lot better than the regular power wagon.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I agree that adding air bags or other components do not add payload capacity on paper or per the door sticker, however functionally they do. Not sure if that is what the comment that is quoted at the top of this message is referring to or not. If they are saying that functionally adding the right components do not increase the payload capacity I would like to know the reasoning behind it.

As the other quoted message refers to there are always the payload police that jump on these conversations and say how you will get arrested and spend the rest of your life in jail if fill up the bed over the rated payload of the truck or the trailer is over by 100 lbs. compared to the trailer towing capacity. Always love it when you say a PW is "only" rated to two around a 10,000 lb. trailer but then somebody jumps on here and asks if a 7,000 lb. trailer is pushing it too much!
I was questioning the same thing. While adding bags (and other mods, like he said) might not make the payload number rise on your door sticker, it sure as hell can make the truck tow a lot better.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had looked extensively into the PW as I was interested, in the end I decided it was not for me.

All good, I never said that...its the internet man....relax and post away

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Heck yes you can post…just dont tell us we are wrong when we arnt! LOL

If it wasnt for you posting that pic of the ram website, i wouldnt be wondering now if they are gonna come with black bumpers. Thats what i liked about the tradesman power wagon…i think aesthetically it looks a lot better than the regular power wagon.

Actually I just realized I got this from Ram Canada build and price. We do things differently here ("sport" in the 1500 is its own trim between bighorn and laramie) so possibly that's where the difference is.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Chrome doesn’t get you home lockers a winch disconnecting sway bar more articulation bigger tires that’s why I bought a pw my bumpers are chrome but they are about as thick as a beer can so only for looks nobody cares when you’re stuck in the bush