trailer brake control question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i started installing a brake control in my '04 ram...have everything done except the wire that runs from the front to the back, i've searched and found it is supposed to be spliced to a blue wire in the driver side wheel well. only thing the diagram showing this shows a different style plug that the blue wire runs into, my concern is if the wire is correct. anyone have any info, i can post pics to show what i am talking about

OP
OP
C

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
WoW really...i guess nobody likes to share info??

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you didnt have a plug under the dash already? my 04 did. and i think the blue wire might be to the reverse lights. dunno if that helps or not.

OP
OP
C

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
you didnt have a plug under the dash already? my 04 did. and i think the blue wire might be to the reverse lights. dunno if that helps or not.

yes it did, but you still need to extend a wire from the rear to the front for the electric brakes, it needs to be spliced to a wire in the drivers front wheel well...everything i have searched shows a blue wire that runs into the plug but does not exit, the plug that is explained to use does not have a blue wire in it. instead there is a green wire that goes into the plug but does not come out the other side, is this the wire i need to tap into??

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
WoW really...i guess nobody likes to share info??

I don't think that is the case. Either members don't know or the ones that do have not seen this thread.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What about taking it to a trailer place, they usually install those things

OP
OP
C

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What about taking it to a trailer place, they usually install those things

figured it out, but why do that and spend another $100-150 to have them do it...i installed everything in about 30 min, just couldn't figure out what wire, researched it and found what i needed and hooked up the wire in about 5 min the next day

in my eyes, thats worth saving $100-150

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what ended up being the verdict then? i guess i never had that problem because i had a 2500. electric brakes and the brake controller worked right outta the box no problem.

OP
OP
C

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what ended up being the verdict then? i guess i never had that problem because i had a 2500. electric brakes and the brake controller worked right outta the box no problem.

So what did you figure? I would love to add this to my truck.

the wire was just a different color in my truck for whatever reason, kept searching google and my buddie checked the FSM at the dealer when he went to work and there were some things noted in all-data about the wire being a different color

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can you take a picture of where the trailer brake wire is under the truck, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Baker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the wire was just a different color in my truck for whatever reason, kept searching google and my buddie checked the FSM at the dealer when he went to work and there were some things noted in all-data about the wire being a different color
Currently trying to complete this install as well. Did it wind up being the Green wire that ends at the harness?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Currently trying to complete this install as well. Did it wind up being the Green wire that ends at the harness?

You may want to make a new post because you revived an old post.

Also, what trailer brake controller kit are using to complete the install?

Does the kit have the jumper harness to keep it a plug-n-play kit?