Trailer Brake Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've got a 2022 Ram 2500 with the factory brake controller. I went to pull a new to me 2022 travel trailer and cannot get the brakes to activate nearly well enough. With my gain at 10 I can feel them drag a bit with the manual slider but not at all well enough to be safe. It's a large trailer, 40', so I definitely need them to be spot on. From what I can tell the trailer has Lippert self adjusting brakes. I've adjusted electric brakes many times before but these are different and as far as I can tell they are adjusted properly. They seem to drag ever so slightly with the tire in the air and spinning. Supposedly they were working fine for the previous owner as well but I tend to not trust people with this sort of stuff. I need to leave for a trip in two days so I'm trying to figure this out without having to go to a dealer. I know these trucks have had issues in the past with the factory brake controller but really assumed this would be figured out by now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OEM trailer brake controller takes in vehicle speed for applying the brakes. Follow how to set up the brake controller from the owners manual, if I remember correctly you set/test the gain when moving at +25mph.
A lot of people over set their trailer brake controller wanting to feel the trailer pull on the truck, that's actually too much. You shouldn't feel the trailer pull or push the truck.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a 2022 TT I bought new and it has Lippert axles. It had zero brakes when I pulled out of the dealer lot with my setting on 10.
After adjusting them several times like I always had adjusted brakes they were still barely working.
The last time I adjusted them so the wheel has constant drag. (Tire stops when I stop spinning it)
Now they work pretty good and are getting better. And the hubs are staying cool.

OP
OP
B

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ok, ya I figured out that the brakes were just never adjusted in the first place. They are auto adjusters but only if set up properly. It was a very different process to adjust them so it threw me.