Trailer brake not connected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I was having this issue with my '18 2500 for like two years and couldn't figure it out. Light was going bonkers all the time and I would loose trailer brakes. Scary stuff in the Colorado mountains. My solution came when I upgraded to a new 5th wheel. Haven't had the problem since!

Seriously though, I ended up finding a pinched wire under the trailer leaf spring. Somehow one of the wires to the electric brakes had got pinched inbetween two leafs and was shorting out. Had to cut it out and replace it. It fixed the issue and I was happy to finally determine it wasn't anything with my truck. Then I traded in that trailer like a month later.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I had this happen intermittently recently with my truck camper. I have a pigtail (splitter) when I tow something behind the truck with the camper mounted. In this instance, I had no tow vehicle. Removing the splitter fixed it. I've towed since with the splitter and electric brakes and it did not happen. I'm guessing there was enough voltage drop or not enough amp draw in the splitter to trigger the EVIC message. Glad you found the pinched wire.

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummons 6.7 Turbo Charged
Just had this same thing happen to me on a 2018 Ram 2500 Turns out one of the little connectors needed to be clamped a bit more to make the connection. I was ready to replace the outlet Then my son figured it out.