Trailer brake on multi media panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, longtime lurker/learner. I've searched the forums for an answer but none so far.

Just traded my '14 for a '19 Classic 1500. No manual so I went online to get a pdf version.

Long story short, it mentions a trailer brake on the multi media panel. Does anyone have this on their panel who could point me in the right direction to see if mine does as well? I'm scheduled in two weeks to have the dealer put one on.

Thanks so much!

Richard

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A '19 Classic is a Gen4 truck like your previous '14. The OEM trailer brake controller is just below the radio/HVAC controls closest to the driver, looks like this: OEMbrakecontroller.jpg
If you don't have the slider then the truck doesn't have the trailer brake controller. It can be added.

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks so much, Crash. We had to have one installed on our '14 as well. The one you're showing looks exactly like the one we had. I'll keep our appointment in that case. Appreciate the help.

Richard

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It should show the gain setting on the EVIC

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't know what the dealer is charging, but you can buy an aftermarket brake controller for ~$100 and install it in less than 10 minutes. I went with a Tekonsha Primus IQ.

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OC, I'll check the EVIC when my wife gets home. Long story. A drunk totaled her vehicle.... While we're here, the EVIC is way different than the '14 in that the '19 has to be in "park" before you can access the EVIC. The multi media panel is far more complicated, although my wife already has her classic rock and my Elvis station stored. But I'll check that out. Appreciate it.

I'd thought about going that way, Heatheroo. While I've rebuilt vintage bikes, I'm not great shakes with modern electronics. And we have a camping trip right behind the installation date.

Appreciate the input!

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heatheroo - I should have listened to you. I have the trailer brake installed as of this morning, works good (at least on the instrument panel). I've rebuilt/restored/rejuvenated numerous moving things, including two classic Triumph motorcycles. And the latter with positive earth (ground). But I let the local dealer handle the trailer brake. I was given a verbal quote of $452. Note VERBAL. One hour tops, you're outta here. Two and a half hours later on what was a fine lovely morning, (can I get Beverley De'Angelo and a Christmas Vacation drum roll here for Christmas lights bc we're about to light something up in my wallet?) - $760. The service manager came out, the manager of the dealership came out. Nobody could tell me why it jumped other than the part - the part - was the $452. Hey, I get it if the total job will be $56,000. But tell me up front. Don't lie to me. And fault on me. I should have gotten it in writing. In fact, I went back last week to confirm my appointment bc the dude didn't seem to be on top of anything. My costly lesson to you - get it in writing.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well I wont pile on and say I told you so because I’ve been in similar situations.

for anyone else looking to add a brake controller you literally:
Reach under the dash to the right of the steering wheel and pull down the little bundle of 2 connectors. The one connector mates up with the wiring harness supplied with the aftermarket controller. Connect the 2 together. Technically you are now done. All that remains is shoving the other connector back under the dash and mounting the controller somewhere. In my case there was an existing mounting screw that I reused so I didnt even have to drill a hole.

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I recommend a DIY. With ample experience, I should have just done it myself. Even if I paid the cost for the factory part. I am, however, expecting a new sign to go up at the dealership that will be changed from "Tony's" to T&R. Or maybe make me customer of the year. Least they could do. Richard

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heatheroo, here's one for you. First trip out. I'm most certain it should dangle from underneath and onto the brake pedal!

Attachments

• 5CA274A6-1451-4A6A-BE5E-72784D18544E.jpeg
    5CA274A6-1451-4A6A-BE5E-72784D18544E.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 14

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Oh........is that the entire OEM brake controller and it fell out of the dash mount? That's what $760 buys these days at the dealership? I would be livid.

OP
OP
RRRam

RRRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh........is that the entire OEM brake controller and it fell out of the dash mount? That's what $760 buys these days at the dealership? I would be livid.

That, my friend, only comes close to how we feel. Misquoted an estimate, charged $150/hour labor, then the friggin controller falls out?

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

That, my friend, only comes close to how we feel. Misquoted an estimate, charged $150/hour labor, then the friggin controller falls out?
be curious to hear the dealer explanation.....

Avoidinyew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I was able to buy the MOPAR integrated brake controller for my 2019 RAM 1500 Classic off Ebay for $174 and then installed it myself before activating using AlfaOBD. I had considered going the aftermarket route but really wanted something that looked factory. Wasn't terribly difficult to install. Sorry to hear that the dealer ripped you like that, it's definitely not worth that much expense especially if it's such shoddy work as you've shared.