Trailer brakes not working too good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the factory installed brake controller in my 2012 Ram 1500. My trailer is a 2017 forest river 6700lbs dry weight toyhauler.
The brakes do not seem to be working as well as they used to. I've only towed the trailer about 12 times. Yesterday when I pulled it out from storage I turned my brake controller up to 10, the highest setting and manually activated the trailer brakes. It barely slowed me down from 40mph. It would probably take 200'+ to stop. I have electric brakes on both axels on the trailer.
Is there a way to check if it's the brake controller in my truck that's not working right or if it's the trailer brake system? I honestly have no idea on where to start looking.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the earth from the trailer plug to chassis.
I recently had my earth wire burn out , it was very thin.
I had an electrician fit a much thicker wire grounded to the chassis.
Brakes work properly now.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Had exactly the same wire issue in our 07 Mega Cab. Our trailer guy found the same problem as (hoe) and corrected the same way. Easy and inexpensive.

bluefishgary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Try to adjust your trailer brakes. When a trailer is new after a couple of trips they need to be
readjust. The brake linning need to set to the drums. Most trailer are NOt self adjusting.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Turn your emergency flashers on and go to the back of the trailer and see if they're as bright as they've always been (same circuit as brakes and turn signals). If not then ground is definitely a possibility. If they are as bright as always then I think you have a brake or controller issue