Trailer breakaway switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Do you guys test the breakaway switch on your trailers before every use as recommended?
How are they tested?

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tested mine a few times, before you leave, just pull the pin and try to move trailer. If it rolls without resistance, something is wrong. If it drags, you know some at least work. I know of some that test for magnetic field, but I never had luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I check mine before every annual inspection, as that is an inspection item here in PA. It was replaced sometime before I took ownership and I've never had a problem with it.

It's a good thing to check at least annually if your state does not require trailer inspections

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have read reports from hotshotters who said that pulling the breakaway while hooked up during a DOT inspection locked up the ITBC, and that you should unplug while doing a pull test.

flyingron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The one on my boat trailer is a secondary mechanical cable that engages the brakes. It's easy to test (in fact, it's a handy way to set the trailer brakes when you've uncoupled it).

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The one on my boat trailer is a secondary mechanical cable that engages the brakes. It's easy to test (in fact, it's a handy way to set the trailer brakes when you've uncoupled it).

When hooking up the 5th, I pull it for the extra resistance to roll back. Esp when rolling at 50 to hook and go hahahah

I have read reports from hotshotters who said that pulling the breakaway while hooked up during a DOT inspection locked up the ITBC, and that you should unplug while doing a pull test.

I don't know why in the vid, he plugs in the power then unplugs it to test. I yank the safety plug first when starting the hook up process, to the test then put the plugs back in as the last thing. Well a couple of times forgot haha

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok so it looks pretty straight forward to test. Do you just push the pin back in afterwards and you're good to go?

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, push back in until it snaps in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No i have only accidentally tested that brake safety switch. If you leave the plastic pin ( insulator) out too long, while testing... the switch often times will get so hot..from the contacts in the switch to the point it will melt the housing. That test is a direct short of all the available battery voltage. Those cheapy switches arent really made to take that much current for any length of time.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I test it by jumping the pins on the trailer 7way between the brake pin and the clearance light pin and pulling the breakaway. If it's working the clearance lights turn on, then I put the breakaway pin back in. That way it's only out for half a minute. Then plug the 7way into the truck.
Then I test the brakes themselves by hopping in the truck and manually applying them with the brake controller and pulling forward.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tested the one on my camper on the way home from the dealer. Dealer hooked it up and attached the cable to the far left side of the hitch. First right turn I made pulled the pin and locked up all 4 wheels. Yup, it works.

Been there done that. Must of been the same dealer :(

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No i have only accidentally tested that brake safety switch. If you leave the plastic pin ( insulator) out too long, while testing... the switch often times will get so hot..from the contacts in the switch to the point it will melt the housing. That test is a direct short of all the available battery voltage. Those cheapy switches arent really made to take that much current for any length of time.

True, I noticed that also!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I tested the one on my camper on the way home from the dealer. Dealer hooked it up and attached the cable to the far left side of the hitch. First right turn I made pulled the pin and locked up all 4 wheels. Yup, it works.

Yeah, I did that to myself once - wasn't paying attention and positioned the cord too far away. Made a sharp turn and BAM the trailer didn't want to go anymore. Oops.

Generally speaking I check it once a year. It's easier on a fifth wheel - Hook up, pull the plug, have the wife put it in gear and let off the brake - if nothing moves then it's all working.

A little more of a pain with a TT, but doable.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

No, they aren't - they're only meant to bring an escaped trailer to a stop, which generally only takes a few seconds. When the tow truck comes to haul the trailer away, it's better if the tires will roll again.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No, they aren't - they're only meant to bring an escaped trailer to a stop, which generally only takes a few seconds. When the tow truck comes to haul the trailer away, it's better if the tires will roll again.
Hopefully none of us will never have that scenario!