Trailer camera help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Just finished installing the trailer camera vehicle harness. Took it up to the dealer and they said they added the code but now non of the cameras work!!!! Checked my work 5 time now and every plug/connector it right. Can someone ease help.

Also Im new the fourms just a 2020 2500 6.7

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just finished installing the trailer camera vehicle harness. Took it up to the dealer and they said they added the code but now non of the cameras work!!!! Checked my work 5 time now and every plug/connector it right. Can someone ease help.

Also Im new the fourms just a 2020 2500 6.7
I have had this happen twice. One is a 2019 RAM 3500 and the other is a 2020 RAM 2500. I found on the 2019 RAM 3500 that the dealership added two sales codes to the vehicle configuration and both sales codes were incorrect. For the 2020 RAM 2500 I found the dealer had entered the incorrect sales code. Once I changed the sales code to the correct one and performed a "Restore Vehicle Configuration" all of the cameras started working properly.

As a test to make sure you do not have a faulty coax for the trailer camera, unplug the camera and see if your other cameras start working.

Did the dealership charge you to add the sales code? Do you know what sales code was added to the vehicle configuration?

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Thank you for responding! They did not charge me for the adding the code. Could you reference me the Restore Vehicle Configuration??

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
UPDATE: So the options for AUX 1 and 2 cameras are now present as well as all the other cameras.; But every camera I select a blue screen comes up and say Camera system unavailable. Could it be the wiring? I Check my work like 27 times now. Also posted this in the HD Forums as well for More help. any suggestions? Anyone?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
UPDATE: So the options for AUX 1 and 2 cameras are now present as well as all the other cameras.; But every camera I select a blue screen comes up and say Camera system unavailable. Could it be the wiring? I Check my work like 27 times now. Also posted this in the HD Forums as well for More help. any suggestions? Anyone?
Have you tried disconnecting the trailer camera to see if the others start working again?

Also, when a sales code is added to the vehicles VIN the BCM has an option to Restore Vehicle Configuration. If the BCM was not originally programmed with the information to operate a trailer camera it would not know the trailer camera was installed. Adding the sales code and updating the vehicle configuration let's the module know that something was added and that's how it knows to control it.

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Have you tried disconnecting the trailer camera to see if the others start working again?

Also, when a sales code is added to the vehicles VIN the BCM has an option to Restore Vehicle Configuration. If the BCM was not originally programmed with the information to operate a trailer camera it would not know the trailer camera was installed. Adding the sales code and updating the vehicle configuration let's the module know that something was added and that's how it knows to control it.

Well trailer camera that plugs into the truck is not plugged in. Just installed the prep wiring for the actual Trailer camera Part #82215973AC. I haven't uninstalled the the truck wire harness yet as it's not an quick task to just undo.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well trailer camera that plugs into the truck is not plugged. Just installed the prep wiring for the actual Trailer camera Part #82215973AC. I haven't uninstalled the the truck wire harness yet as it's not an quick task to just undo.
Why do you not have the trailer camera plugged in yet?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Its installed on my 5th wheel. I did plug it in last night and nothing changed all cameras are blue and system is unavailable
Okay just checking. Lemme look at DealerConnect some more and see if there is anything else I can find. Also, ask the dealership tomorrow about the sales code that they added so we can verify it is the correct one.

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
I guess the question I should have asked is it Normal to lose all your cameras after installing the prep kit until the dealer has a chance to add the sales code. Because after the install I started the truck and headed up to the dealer for the code. I did notice that the camera were not working on my way there.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I guess the question I should have asked is it Normal to lose all your cameras after installing the prep kit until the dealer has a chance to add the sales code. Because after the install I started the truck and headed up to the dealer for the code. I did notice that the camera were not working on my way there.
One thing I forgot to ask. Which radio do you have?

Do you have the cargo camera mounted in the CHMSL (3rd brake light)?

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
One thing I forgot to ask. Which radio do you have?

Do you have the cargo camera mounted in the CHMSL (3rd brake light)?

12" with Navi -Radio

Yes- CHMSL

I wonder if the Dealer added the sales code on Dealer connect?? I watched him connect to the OBD and did what he needed to the truck. But did he log on and add it to the VIN in dealer connect??

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
12" with Navi -Radio

Yes- CHMSL

I wonder if the Dealer added the sales code on Dealer connect?? I watched him connect to the OBD and did what he needed to the truck. But did he log on and add it to the VIN in dealer connect??
Well, that is one question I can answer. If you send me your VIN in a PM I can look at DealerConnect and see if the sales code was added to your VIN.

Not everyone in the dealership has access to the place in DealerConnect to add sales codes to a vehicle. Most techs don't have access.

OP
OP
RamThis2500

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Well, that is one question I can answer. If you send me your VIN in a PM I can look at DealerConnect and see if the sales code was added to your VIN.

Not everyone in the dealership has access to the place in DealerConnect to add sales codes to a vehicle. Most techs don't have access.

PM Sent

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Interested in the results. Thinking of adding the trailer cam harness as well.

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I'm looking at a new Bighorn 1500. Do you have to have a certain model of uconnect radio to have a 2nd towing trailer viewable in the radio? Also, I saw the wiring harness is available for towing but I haven't seen the camera itself for sell. I'm assuming you have to use a ram camera and not some aftermarket?

Thanks,
Rut

MDinTV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS WT eTorque Engine
Seems like The OEM options are expensive, and the reviews are, well, meh (regarding image quality). My 2021 1500 Limited had all the towing gadgets, but I don’t think it included the camera wiring harness. So the cost is prohibitive. I’ve had luck with an aftermarket, single-camera wifi model available from Amazon that I use on my old work truck, mainly for plowing. These are available for around $100+/-. After researching a replacement for my undependable Furrion travel trailer backup camera, I just spent about $350 for a digital wireless four camera DVR set with 7” split/full screen monitor (LeeKooLuu F14) that is suitable for longer vehicles (busses, 5th wheels, semi’s). Hoping to install front (under rear view mirror), back of travel trailer, and (low) sides of TT or truck for cornering/backing with trailer attached. If it works, I’ll consider it worth the savings to not have images on the truck’s built-in monitor. If you’re interested, I’ll try to report back on the results.