Trailer mods, what have you done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started getting the storage area organized similar to what the old trailer was. The wood strip on the floor keeps the grates from moving around. The open space will be for a folding table, gas grill, and a couple of other containers for miscellaneous stuff. WD bars are in the PVC pipe, and I'll work on some clamps to hold a broom, hand crank tool, etc. Opposite side will be a bin for wood leveling blocks, hoses, and whatever else fits. Also mounted a ladder on the ladder, and it's locked in place.
I wish my pass thru was wide enough to need those strips. Because of the extra drawers and storage under my bed my pass thru is narrow.
Finally got around to installing a Maxx Air vent cover on my 2020 Wolf Pup last weekend. I was glad to know it was on there when the remnants of Ida blew through South Central PA yesterday.
That's one of the if not the first mod I've done to every new trailer I've bought. IMHO those are almost mandatory.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My latest "mod" isn't really a mod, it's a replacement of the 4 factory tires that are defective.
All 4 Good Year Endurance tires had impact damage to the sidewall from being towed from Indiana to Tampa.
A tire shop guy pointed it out when I took the trailer there to have the tires balanced and have metal valve stems installed. I took one of the tires to 2 local GY dealers and they agreed that the tires were unsafe.
I have to give Grand Design and Lion's Head Wheel credit because they stepped up and warranteed the 4 tires and shipped them to my house. Total time 2 weeks after I sent in the claim information.
There is also a check for $120 enroute to cover mounting, etc.
Attached is a picture of the bulge in one tire. They are all similar to varying degree.
I changed them 2 at a time partially so I could make sure I have everything I would need to change one on the road, and also wanted to adjust the brakes since I had NONE on my 40 mile trip from the dealer to home. They were backed way off and needed a lot of star wheel adjustment.
Anyway when I get the last 2 tires back from the tire shop later today I'll be ready to roll.

Attachments

• Tire1defect.JPG
    Tire1defect.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 6

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My latest "mod" isn't really a mod, it's a replacement of the 4 factory tires that are defective.
All 4 Good Year Endurance tires had impact damage to the sidewall from being towed from Indiana to Tampa.
A tire shop guy pointed it out when I took the trailer there to have the tires balanced and have metal valve stems installed. I took one of the tires to 2 local GY dealers and they agreed that the tires were unsafe.
I have to give Grand Design and Lion's Head Wheel credit because they stepped up and warranteed the 4 tires and shipped them to my house. Total time 2 weeks after I sent in the claim information.
There is also a check for $120 enroute to cover mounting, etc.
Attached is a picture of the bulge in one tire. They are all similar to varying degree.
I changed them 2 at a time partially so I could make sure I have everything I would need to change one on the road, and also wanted to adjust the brakes since I had NONE on my 40 mile trip from the dealer to home. They were backed way off and needed a lot of star wheel adjustment.
Anyway when I get the last 2 tires back from the tire shop later today I'll be ready to roll.
Wow thats awful. I have seen tires do that mess. Thats always a dangerous thing with a trailer.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I had to replace a tire that was only a year old. Had dry rot and a small bulge. My plans this winter are to replace the rest of them. The stock tires are garbage.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wet bolts and upgraded shackles. Had a leaf spring break on a long trip to Vermont. Decided to replace all 4 springs with slightly heavier 5 leaf springs. I saw that my stock shackles were starting to oval out and the stock plastic bushings were completely shot (7 year old trailer, no surprise there.) $80 for the kit from Amazon, its much quieter now!

PrdCdn

TEAM RAMROD
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L ECO Diesel
Found another camping upgrade I decided I couldn't live without. I was into RC trucks at various times growing up, and drinking beer while camping is a given. This thing has LED lights and Bluetooth music speakers. Has a remote control with three speeds. Gonna be the easiest way to bring drinks while visiting other campsites.

View attachment 246736View attachment 246737

View attachment 246738
love it. Milwaukee did the same - but only in Australia - I mananged to get the only one in North America

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is amazing. I love the Milwaukee tool platform. I would have definitely gotten that!

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Woo hoo!

Finally made time to get these installed. I love the lights. I put them on top of the lower I beam ledge. So my positioning actually makes them much dimmer than I expected. The skirting really blocks the ambient light. So I'm wondering if I should have put them somewhere else. I will have to try it in real usage to decide. They appear brighter in the photo than real life. For the purpose it might be bright enough, not sure yet.

View attachment 248269

View attachment 248270
I am glad I don’t camp next to you at night

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am glad I don’t camp next to you at night
They aren't that bright. I have a simular set. The camera makes them look brighter. Same with mine. My awning lights are brighter so I rarely use them. I stick with the under glow lights. My lights can be seen in post 53.

Last edited:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
We have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE. Its little, 23 feet overall, no slides. It's a couples only trailer.

I have:
- upgraded the battery from a wimpy 50 amp hour dual purpose to 100 amp deep cycle,
- upgraded the scissors jacks from 2000 lbs to 5000 lbs,
- added tank heaters for winter camping,
- installed a Winegard 4GLTE hotspot/WiFi booster, and
- added electrical heating for winter camping.

As of tonight we are in Virginia, heading to Taos and Angel Fire NM to go skiing.