Trailer Sway Damping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2021 Ram has Trailer Sway Damping. I will be towing a 14’ RV weighing 2300#.
I’ve been losing my mind as to what I need. I have a sway control bar that I can hook up But is it needed?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Tow the trailer to find out, doubt you'll need to add the sway bar. Make sure there's about 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue and keep the weight in the trailer as centered and low as possible.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My 2021 Ram has Trailer Sway Damping. I will be towing a 14’ RV weighing 2300#.
I’ve been losing my mind as to what I need. I have a sway control bar that I can hook up But is it needed?
Being that small and light Unless you have your trailer loaded up all sorts of wrong, you shouldn't need anything at all other than to lock the coupler on the ball, plug in and hook your safety chains. Our pop-up has similar dimensions and weighs about a thousand pounds more. Make sure you check your lights and have fun camping.

OP
OP
N

Nello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only for peace of mind, I will attach the sway control bar only.

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all! I just bought a 2021 Warlock, 4WD, she has the 20 inch wheels, 3.21 rear ( I know), and 5.7. I replaced the tires with E rated all terrains, and had the dealer install the electric brake controller. According to the VIN trailer towing search and the stickers on the door, I have a 1180 lb payload and can pull 8120 lbs. I bought a 28 foot travel trailer, 4750 dry 6500 GVWR, 671 lbs on the hitch.
I got a Curt WDH and got the trailer home tow/haul mode, 5 under limit (75-80 mph here), right lane with zero issues, had a bunch of 18 wheelers pass me and had no sway issues. The Curt hitch has a sway controller (sliding brake pad material type) and a BIG RED NOTE that says to TURN OFF the traction control if I am going to install it.

I was planning to install it when one of my friends that has a 5th Gen Rebel told me his truck will use the traction control sensing to tap the trailer brakes in a sway event.
I was wondering if my truck had the same feature since I had the dealer install the factory brake controller and flash the computer. When I hook up, the display tells me I have the trailer connected and the brake controller set to light electric.

Does anyone know if the 4th Gen will do this?
If I install the sway control and turn off the traction control am I trading one problem for another?

I've towed lots of utility trailers and understand load placement and staying within truck capacities, but this travel trailer is the biggest trailer I have ever towed.
I don't want to end up in a youtube video about what not to do with a trailer :)

Thanks, Danny

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does anyone know if the 4th Gen will do this?
If I install the sway control and turn off the traction control am I trading one problem for another?
Yes the Gen4 trucks also have trailer sway control with the factory brake controller. Not sure why CURT would say to disable traction control. Traction control and stability control are two different things. The vehicle ESC will turn itself on automatically if you go over 40 mph even if you disable it.
I've towed with a WDH w/sway control without turning of the trucks traction control and I'm sure many more on this forum will say the same about not turning off the TC.

On another note keep in mind your WDH may need to be readjusted if/when the combo is fully loaded for camping.
If you have a CAT scale accessable, run the fully loaded truck/WDH/trailer over the scales and then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. This will give you all the numbers to check the tongue weight percentage and see how the axles are loaded. You usually want to replace the list front axle weight and the rear axle should weigh more than the front.

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks so much! That was exactly what I was asking for! We are in the process of loading up the trailer for a trip. In a week or two. I have a CAT scale about two miles up the road so the plan has always been to set it up, go weigh the truck & trailer, and fine tune the WDH as needed.
Thanks again!