Trailering Update - 2019 2500 Hemi 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey all. I promised to post an update after trailering with my new 2500 Hemi 6.4 (4.10 gears) and I'm finally back. I towed 2000 miles through the mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Utah and I was impressed with the performance. As I've said in previous posts, I upgraded from a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke and the power feels very comparable. I'm sure if I had a newer diesel, I might have been disappointed in the power comparison, but ignorance is bliss and this new Hemi stacks up nicely against older Diesel engines.

I handcalc'd my mileage using a gas app called Road Trip on my iPhone. I faithfully entered the odometer and gallons at each stop and then averaged them all after the trip. Pulling about 7500 pounds in a 26' enclosed trailer (not the most aerodynamic thing to haul), I averaged 9.54 miles per gallon. There's a lot of elevation changes on this trip so I was fine with that mileage. My old Ford averaged 10.5-11 on the same route, so it wasn't bad. With the difference in fuel prices from gas to diesel, I'm close to even.

I'm not sure that tow/haul made much of a difference at all. Granted this is not a heavy load, but I didn't see any changes to fuel mileage when I used tow/haul on a tank of gas, versus leaving it off on the next. Tow/haul does keep you lower in the gears a little longer, but that didn't seem to affect the fuel mileage.

I really love this truck. Keep in mind that I have the 4.10s, which gives me some more juice but undoubtedly impacts my fuel mileage some. After I unhooked the trailer and drove around, I felt like I was on a horse that had been turned loose! What a difference. That 410 horsepower is a monster that is chained down when trailering. There were times on stretches of flat highway when I averaged 20+ miles per gallon for over a hundred miles (disclaimer - obviously not trailering and you have to watch the mpg computer and lay off the gas pedal at times). I also couldn't get over how quiet and well insulated the cab is. One morning last week in NW Montana it was 19 degrees in the morning. The truck had been out in the driveway all night and the cab was really warm. We'll see when winter hits, but I think I hit the jackpot with this truck.

So, I think I'll be around 10-11 mpg trailering when the engine breaks in further (I'm at 5k miles now) and the highway should be around 17 mpg or so, based on the numbers I'm looking at now. In town driving seems to be 12-13 mpg. The engine is mean (this is my first Hemi) and sounds modified when you're passing someone. I haven't seen anything that wouldn't let me highly recommend this truck.
IMG_3439.JPG IMG_3440.JPG IMG_3572.JPG

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Sounds similar to my son's trip. Towed a 26' camper that was loaded up at about 8000lbs and he had about 500lbs in the back seat and bed. He has a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's. Went from Pittsburgh to western North Dakota (1500 miles) and averaged about 8.5 MPG. Truck had about 6500 miles on it when he left. So your 2019 with the 8 speed seems to be worth about 1 MPG towing. He was driving about 70-75 the whole way though. This trip was for work and they told him he had to report to work Wednesday morning but had to work Saturday back here so only had 3 days to get there.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hey all. I promised to post an update after trailering with my new 2500 Hemi 6.4 (4.10 gears) and I'm finally back. I towed 2000 miles through the mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Utah and I was impressed with the performance. As I've said in previous posts, I upgraded from a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke and the power feels very comparable. I'm sure if I had a newer diesel, I might have been disappointed in the power comparison, but ignorance is bliss and this new Hemi stacks up nicely against older Diesel engines.

I handcalc'd my mileage using a gas app called Road Trip on my iPhone. I faithfully entered the odometer and gallons at each stop and then averaged them all after the trip. Pulling about 7500 pounds in a 26' enclosed trailer (not the most aerodynamic thing to haul), I averaged 9.54 miles per gallon. There's a lot of elevation changes on this trip so I was fine with that mileage. My old Ford averaged 10.5-11 on the same route, so it wasn't bad. With the difference in fuel prices from gas to diesel, I'm close to even.

I'm not sure that tow/haul made much of a difference at all. Granted this is not a heavy load, but I didn't see any changes to fuel mileage when I used tow/haul on a tank of gas, versus leaving it off on the next. Tow/haul does keep you lower in the gears a little longer, but that didn't seem to affect the fuel mileage.

I really love this truck. Keep in mind that I have the 4.10s, which gives me some more juice but undoubtedly impacts my fuel mileage some. After I unhooked the trailer and drove around, I felt like I was on a horse that had been turned loose! What a difference. That 410 horsepower is a monster that is chained down when trailering. There were times on stretches of flat highway when I averaged 20+ miles per gallon for over a hundred miles (disclaimer - obviously not trailering and you have to watch the mpg computer and lay off the gas pedal at times). I also couldn't get over how quiet and well insulated the cab is. One morning last week in NW Montana it was 19 degrees in the morning. The truck had been out in the driveway all night and the cab was really warm. We'll see when winter hits, but I think I hit the jackpot with this truck.

So, I think I'll be around 10-11 mpg trailering when the engine breaks in further (I'm at 5k miles now) and the highway should be around 17 mpg or so, based on the numbers I'm looking at now. In town driving seems to be 12-13 mpg. The engine is mean (this is my first Hemi) and sounds modified when you're passing someone. I haven't seen anything that wouldn't let me highly recommend this truck.
View attachment 182942 View attachment 182943 View attachment 182944
Thanks for the insight! I am strongly considering the 6.4L when the time comes as I only pull our camper 3-4 times a year now.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Great info, I had a 2016 2500 6.4L with the 4.10 gears and love it, it has the power that I needed but I was towing a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel and towing in the mountains in the PNW so now my 5th wheel is a little heavier so I went with the 3500 ctd.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love how the v8 gas engine roars up and down grades especially now that it can stay planted in the powerband thanks to the 8speed. The 6.7 is king but I think the simplicity of the v8's emissions system is often overlooked.

j_t_l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great info, I had a 2016 2500 6.4L with the 4.10 gears and love it, it has the power that I needed but I was towing a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel and towing in the mountains in the PNW so now my 5th wheel is a little heavier so I went with the 3500 ctd.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean -- do you mean:

You used to have a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel, and the 6.4 Hemi pulled it fine. Now you have a heavier 5th wheel and went with the CTD.

Or: When you got the 12,000 5th wheel, the 6.4 Hemi didn't perform as you wanted. So you got the CTD to pull the 12,000 fifth wheel.

Thanks!

OP
OP
snowmiser68

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not exactly sure what you mean -- do you mean:

You used to have a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel, and the 6.4 Hemi pulled it fine. Now you have a heavier 5th wheel and went with the CTD.

Or: When you got the 12,000 5th wheel, the 6.4 Hemi didn't perform as you wanted. So you got the CTD to pull the 12,000 fifth wheel.

Thanks!
I read it as "I bought a heavier trailer so I bought the bigger Cummins engine." That makes sense to me. I love my 6.4 Hemi, but I don't think I would have personally picked it if I was towing over 12K on a regular basis. I know it can perform, but those are the levels where the Cummins would thrive. Towing at or under 10k, I think the Hemi makes a lot of sense - cost of repairs, emissions, short trips into town, etc. It also warms up quickly, which is important if you live in cold country!

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just got a '19 2500. 6.4 with 373 rear gear. Cant wait to hook it to the camper. The CTD is the champ but I am only pulling about 7k so this should work for us. We have been using a '93 250 with a 410 gear and the high output 360. It did a fine job but was lacking on the 4 lane. It is going to be a while but I will let you know how the 6.4 does in hilly Ohio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye