Tranny oil change - 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody ever run some tubing from the fill plug up into the engine compartment to make it easier to add the fluid without a pump and without laying on the ground trying to do so?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Small details like removing the fill plug and releasing fluid before removing the drain on the pan.

The pan will have some residual fluid left as you lower it, and when pulling the pan off you need to check and make sure the O’ring from the filter didn’t slip off and stay inside the valve body.

(Edit)
When refilling fluid temperature monitoring is critical
Using the cluster gauge in the dash is not sufficient.
Monitoring transmission temperature should be done with a quality scan tool with that option.
Correct. The fluid temperature must be between 86 and 122F.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 063309 miles.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Correct. The fluid temperature must be between 86 and 122F.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 063309 miles.
The initial fill should be bellow 86F
the second fill between 104 to 122F
to insure expansion of the oil into the valve passages.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was one of the better videos I saw.

If you can't do #4, what's the alternative?
An alternative I use is backing the truck up an incline. My driveway is sloped where it meets the street. I back up the driveway so the front wheels are in the street and the rear end is on my driveway. The incline is perfect for getting the back end higher and the transmission rail level. Luckily I’m in a cul de sac so the front end being in the street isn’t much of an issue.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I changed the fluid in mine, I did your steps with the new pan, then filled the fluid until it ran out of the hole. Then started the truck and put the trans in neutral then drive, and let it run for a couple of minutes to pump the fluid through the trans.
Then I filled it up again until the fluid ran out the fill hole, then drove the truck for 10 miles to get the fluid hot. But this time be advised since the fluid is hot it has expanded, and it will come back out of the fill hole when you remove the plug.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When are you all changing your trans fluid?

I do my Jeep JK every 50 thousand miles. I did the first one myself and it was a pain in the ****. Fat fingers coupled with one of the bolts impossible for me to get at led to a few hours messing with that one particular bolt. I've had the fluid and filters changed out 2X's since by a garage that I trust. Jeep has 170,000 miles on her now.

On the Ram I was thinking I'd do the same. Every 50K But if it's "Lifetime fluid" I might wait until 75 or 100,000 miles.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I keep hearing to use a "Quality scan tool" to monitor trans temp when performing this procedure... and that the dash trans temp gauge isnt adequate. What about a bluetooth OBDII scan tool with app? And if not that... can anyone reccomend a scan tool that would fit this bill... without costing a ton of money?

Also, can the Amisol fluid be used in a drain and fill, without knowing the original fluid and without doing a full flush? Bought the truck used, and the pan looks aftermarket. So Im not sure exactly what fluid was used.

Jeffs1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Anybody who believes the lifetime fluid theory? I have 260,000 on my 2014 V6 with the 845RE and haven't touched the trans ever.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can
So I keep hearing to use a "Quality scan tool" to monitor trans temp when performing this procedure... and that the dash trans temp gauge isnt adequate. What about a bluetooth OBDII scan tool with app? And if not that... can anyone reccomend a scan tool that would fit this bill... without costing a ton of money?

Also, can the Amisol fluid be used in a drain and fill, without knowing the original fluid and without doing a full flush? Bought the truck used, and the pan looks aftermarket. So Im not sure exactly what fluid was used.
Yes you can use a cheap OBD Bluetooth reader with a free app. Also, I also believe you can use the dash gauge. The CAN data that reaches the OBD port is the same CAN data that reaches the dash display.

Yes you can use a different fluid. I used Valvoline MaxLife in my last 8spd, with no issues (and there are TONS of others that use non-OEM fluid with no issue)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Anybody who believes the lifetime fluid theory? I have 260,000 on my 2014 V6 with the 845RE and haven't touched the trans ever.

Sample size: 1, application conditions: absent.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the Info Andymax. Just to confirm... no big deal mixing fluids right? Thanks again
All I can speak to is my experience and the anecdotal evidence from many others who have used different fluid brands. It is well known that a typical drain and fill must result in mixing fluids, and I've never seen a single post about tranny failure due to such mixing. Lots of folks use Amsoil and others. I used Valvoline...No issues whatsoever.

sbyrne9r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I've been having trouble loosening the drain plug. Since it's plastic it has alway stripped when I try to loosen it. Anybody had this issue?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've been having trouble loosening the drain plug. Since it's plastic it has alway stripped when I try to loosen it. Anybody had this issue?
You need a new pan anyways if you want to change the filter,so just start loosening the pan bolts till fluid starts to dribble out,after it quits dribbling,slowly remove a couple more bolts and let it dribble some more,do that till you're down to only having a couple bolts left,then carefully hold the pan back up in place and remove the last couple of bolts,then try to tip it so it drains as much as possible,before wiggling it out from under the truck,then proceed to throw that pan/filter away,lol

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not on mine.

I did have to cut down the short side of a 10mm allen wrench to be able to loosen it, because of the exhaust pipe crossover.

You did use a 10mm allen and not a 3/8", right?

That is wild that it stripped out, because it takes very liitle torque to tighten it.

But, as Rick said, you will be replacing the pan anyway, so no big loss.

sbyrne9r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Yes, used the 10mm. I've replaced the pan twice now and was unable to loosen either and just had to remove the pan bolts and do it the messy way. Just curious why the drain plug was difficult to remove. I was unaware of the FFE pans. I kind of like that idea and may go that way after I replace the thermostat bypass I just ordered from Jesse