Tranny skid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure why they would put a plastic transmission pan on a rig designed to go off road but seems like a bonehead design at best. Did my part protect the soft under belly.

30A4626D-B913-488B-B1C2-C26E792ECF3B_1_201_a.jpeg

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Plastics in the automotive industry are not the plastics you use in home products. I am a 25 year injection molding technician and have been around a multitude of resins. You'd be surprised how durable and almost downright bulletproof some plastics are these days.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow nice job. I agree with you. How was the install, how long did it take you?

Also who did you buy from and how much? As you can see I have questions. I appreciate if you hurry up to.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it was somewhat of a chore as not a lot of room to work underneath and tough to get to some of the bolts and actually use a torq wrench on them, you need a real stubby 15mm wrench to hold one of the nuts. Would have been easy if I had a second set of hands but i was working alone. Dethloff manufacturing. $432 shipped. took a little while to get it. When I ordered it he told me 5 weeks but it was about 9 weeks. Not cheap but it is a nice piece of iron for sure and protects both the oil and tranny pans and the cross over and is not in the way of draining the oil.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plastics in the automotive industry are not the plastics you use in home products. I am a 25 year injection molding technician and have been around a multitude of resins. You'd be surprised how durable and almost downright bulletproof some plastics are these days.
no doubt but local truck put a hole in his tranny pan when a log some how popped up. probably a freak accident but I would rather be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here's a link. It is kinda a pain in the ass for the one bolt for sure, other than that it is a fairly simple install. https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/oil-transmission-skid-plate/
if the one nut would have been a flag nut it would have been so much easier. I was just about to cut one of my 15mm wrenches when i remembered I had a pedal wrench which worked perfectly. also one of the bolts on the driver's side was a bugger to get started as the back plate kept slipping and I needed another hand to hold that in place while I lifted the skid and then started the bolt lol. definitely looks like it will serve its purpose.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no doubt but local truck put a hole in his tranny pan when a log some how popped up. probably a freak accident but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Oh, for certain. It never hurts to put a little more insurance on your pride and joy when you are being extreme with it (i.e. offroading). I would probably do the very same thing. I've punched a couple of TH-350 tranny pans in the past. The steel ones were also no match for a well-placed pointy rock.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Marcus's skid plate is definitely one of my top mods ive done for my wagon. He makes some nice kit!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
extra protection never hurts. i been slowly working on gearing mine up with all the armor i can

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like that it protects the tranny lines as well. Not sure why more outfits are not making these for the Power wagons. Seems like an untapped market.
4BE58678_C44E_4D70_A8B3_8E07754C8AD4_1_201_a(1).jpg

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Your move mr. mold tech ;)

D6D40A0D-8EE0-496A-8727-ED9D1A2D6C02.jpeg

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like that hit would have stranded you for a while...

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So thats the Valve body, Looks like massive damage to the command central.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your move mr. mold tech ;)

View attachment 226262

Nice! Let's see the pan damage. :)

Nothing's indestructible. I'd show my two engine pans and two th350 tranny pans from the past, but they are lost to time. I hit one engine pan so hard, it snapped the pump, pickup and put a finger sized hole in the bottom. Olds 350.....it was a stout motor....was...

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Let's see the pan damage. :)

Nothing's indestructible. I'd show my two engine pans and two th350 tranny pans from the past, but they are lost to time. I hit one engine pan so hard, it snapped the pump, pickup and finger sized hole in the bottom. Olds 350.....it was a stout motor....was...
Gotta remember, you’re in the PW section. We’re the exception, not the rule. Our trucks, when loaded with gear, can top 9,000 lbs. come down on a stump or a rock the wrong way and there’s no plastic pan that will hold up to that kind of abuse. I have this skid on my truck, and it’s taken a beating and likely saved me thousands in repairs.

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I have the Dethloff skid plate on my 2018 PW. It is a fairly easy install, but getting the two front mounts bolted in can be a little bit of a bugger. The installation instructions call for assembling everything and then installing it. In hindsight, it would probably be a lot easier to install the two front mounting brackets and then put the rest together. The whole assembly is not that heavy, so putting it together on the vehicle will be easy. This skid plate is worth the money. Maple Off-Road makes a skid plate that will replace the 3-bar factory system. It is compatible with the Dethloff skid plate and will be one of my next purchases.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Dethloff skid plate on my 2018 PW. It is a fairly easy install, but getting the two front mounts bolted in can be a little bit of a bugger. The installation instructions call for assembling everything and then installing it. In hindsight, it would probably be a lot easier to install the two front mounting brackets and then put the rest together. The whole assembly is not that heavy, so putting it together on the vehicle will be easy. This skid plate is worth the money. Maple Off-Road makes a skid plate that will replace the 3-bar factory system. It is compatible with the Dethloff skid plate and will be one of my next purchases.
I too would at least mount the driver side on the motor mount before assembly. I should add that instead of using grease in the tubes I used rvt to keep the water out.

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I too would at least mount the driver side on the motor mount before assembly. I should add that instead of using grease in the tubes I used rvt to keep the water out.
I failed to mention that I did the same thing, RTV instead of grease.