Trans clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of my automatic high-end cars do the 4 to 1 and clunk to some degree. The reason tow doesn't clunk is because it's down gearing to save brakes. They're meant to clunk. You might not like that answer, but it's the nature of the beast.

Learn to ignore it. It's not a caddy. Also, is the truck you're complaining about modified? As in the one in your description? Because the model on your avatar is a 2018 6.4, but in your sig. you have a 2022 modified.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haha. Yeah I haven’t changed the pic. I have a 22. Nothing drivetrain related is modified. I appreciate the information. What’s actually clunking anyways? Only reason I assumed there was an issue is because programming fixed my wife’s durango. That did the same thing.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you change wheels, you are modifying 'extensions' of the drivetrain. I would consider it a modification, but that's me. Adding 3lbs per axle is massive. Offset can put stress on axles. Those variables are most likely making a normal sound of 4 to 1 become louder. That is not only the nature of the beast but also a consequence of changing a factory parameter. There are positives and negatives to modifying a vehicle.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve never ever had a tire and wheel combination change the sound of my driveline my 18 at the same set up on it and it was perfectly quiet

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you put the truck in tow haul mode it doesn’t do it it shifts down past fourth gear so it’s a non-issue it’s definitely transmission programming

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't have clunking, but I have a similar..... experience with my 05, which has a rebuilt Goerend transmission. Don't want to call it an issue because it doesn't appear to be.
At around 10 mph when coming to a stop I get some slack noise while it's in that no load spot between coming to a stop and being stopped in gear.
If I use the tow/haul button I don't notice it because engine braking keeps a load on the tranny one way or the other.

You guys with newer trucks have more tuner options and may be able to tune this out.

I just had my trans given a checkup and fluid replacement. I never once mentioned price so if anything was wrong, I expect they would have tried to sell me something.

I know what you are talking about though. The trans converter stays locked up until right before you come to a stop then downshifts all at once into first. I think using tow haul is the only way around it unless you have a shift kit. I happen to have one I keep in "normal". Next time I take it for a spin I'll see if changing to tow or race makes any difference.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have clunking, but I have a similar..... experience with my 05, which has a rebuilt Goerend transmission. Don't want to call it an issue because it doesn't appear to be.
At around 10 mph when coming to a stop I get some slack noise while it's in that no load spot between coming to a stop and being stopped in gear.
If I use the tow/haul button I don't notice it because engine braking keeps a load on the tranny one way or the other.

You guys with newer trucks have more tuner options and may be able to tune this out.

I just had my trans given a checkup and fluid replacement. I never once mentioned price so if anything was wrong, I expect they would have tried to sell me something.

I know what you are talking about though. The trans converter stays locked up until right before you come to a stop then downshifts all at once into first. I think using tow haul is the only way around it unless you have a shift kit. I happen to have one I keep in "normal". Next time I take it for a spin I'll see if changing to tow or race makes any difference.
I had an 05 cummins with a Goerend transmission also. That is normal what you are feeling. When Dave did mine he took me for a spin and explained how it all worked. I can't remember for sure, but it was some band if I remember correctly that when it let's off it does that.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Right, just saying the issue the others are talking about may not be an issue. A least not in the trans.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That seems to be the general consensus is that it's a ****** design or at least some trucks are louder than others. All the way until 18 there was a guy that could tune these trucks. It would just be a programming issue to fix this I'm assuming. Not a big deal for people who just hop on the highway and go every day but people who drive in stop and go stuff or through town on a regular basis, it's super annoying.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes. My 22 power wagon is doing exactly same thing. Sometimes big clunk when downshifting from 5 to 4, I will try Tow/Haul mode tomorrow see what happens.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With my 22, I've noticed when coming to a complete full stop at like a stop light or stop sign, it almost feels like a surge backwards. It doesn't happen every time though. Usually when not towing.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 same thing 2-1 clunks when coming to a stop mds deleted its a trans software issue that no one has appeared to know how to fix.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine does the same thing, and dealer said the came crap we cant duplicate it. Tow haul mode no issues but norma drive mode it hangs up in 4th gear too long coming to a stop…annoying asf

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This was just like mine. Has to be a programming problem like my wife’s 15

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On a side note i got rid of my 22. Ended up with an f150 2018. Nice enough teuck but it’s not a ram. I’m hunting for another ram. A 17 or an 18