Trans Fluid Change Or Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Himself

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I bought a 2015 ram 5.7 in excellent condition this summer. I got it with 170000 miles and no trans dip stick to fluid level and condition. Could find any history on Carfax for trans fluid change or spark plugs. Would you recommend doing a trans flush or drop the pan and get a after market pan with exchangeable filter or both?
Thanks, Jim

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wouldn't touch it if you don't know the history. If it hasn't been serviced on a regular basis, a service and flush can actually do more harm than good. As far as plugs, never hurts but judging on mileage you should be close to being due.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Drop the pan and fill with new. Do not use any chemicals or flush. Simple drain and refill.
For spark Plugs I'd atleast pull one and see if they look like recently replaced.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The standard is , if you’re still under warranty leave it alone.
As soon as warranty is over it’s up to you.

Mopar fluids and parts for the Transmission are shared with many other auto manufacturers ZF is the official designer of the transmission its been in production for 16 years ,
parts for service and repair are well distributed through parts distributors you can find parts made anywhere from Hamburg Germany to China.
Most parts are designated by 6 speed or 8 speed but some are interchangeable.

Shell M-L12108 qualifies as a specified fluid replacement.

Mopar Fluid is the only fluid for honoring FCA authorized warranty

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I would not flush. Just service per the recommendations. There used to be TSB's against flushing by Chrysler/FCA in the past. Can't speak to current data on this. I still would follow the service manual.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of our members, Verndiesel has over 500K miles, most of it towing and he drops the pan and changes it every 100K miles using Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Just a recommendation if you don’t want to spend premium money for the ZF or Mopar stuff.