Transfer case\4x4 issues in the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I didn't see a transmission forum so I opted to try general.

2019 Ram Big Horn, 5.7L with the 4hi\4low\4auto transfer case.

I'm working on a dealership appointment, but it's not easy these days. The other day we had -43C (normal for here this time of year) and I had my truck of course plugged in via the block heater. I started it up and let the engine\tranny warm up before leaving for work.

While driving to work I noticed my drivetrain felt like it was in 4x4 (tire slippage\stiff\binding feeling while backing up and turning corners). This time of year it's often left in 4auto but I looked down at the switch panel to see if I had accidentally bumped it into 4hi and instead saw the lights flickering on 4auto. The orange select light was barely visible and flickering randomly like an electrical short. So I pressed and held 2wd to pull it out of 4auto and it lit up the 2wd light solid orange like normal then went back to 4auto and went dim\flickered. Not wanting to make something worse I stopped pressing buttons and went I got to work I put the truck in the heated bay to let it thaw overnight. It did reach operating temps on the way and the flicker didn't stop.

The next day with my truck enjoying a full thaw and dry out in the bay I warmed it up and left work. The temps had warmed up to -25C and the flicker was gone and it was solid in 4auto. It also felt normal again with no binding on corners unless I had tire slip and the auto would engage (normal).

At operating temps driving around town then issue #2 started. I was driving a straight line without anything odd happening and I got an error on my cluster saying something to the effect of "mismatched tire size detected. 4x4 performance reduced.".

I've never seen this before, and nothing felt wrong while driving. All 4 tires are the same PSI (winter studded tires without TPMS sensors). I drove the same tires all last winter (no sensors) and never saw this error come up. I've owned several rams and driven all in these northern winters and never had either of these issues come up before.

Any ideas or has anyone run into this? I think my warranty is coming up soon.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ABS sensor maybe? I haven't read about anyone having issues with their transfer case apparently caused by cold temps. But -43C is a cold not many trucks have to endure.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like an abs sensor to me. As for the 4x4 switch, my truck does real screwy things in the cold too, when - 40-50 hits I get airbag lights and all sorts of weird things once it warms up they go away. Could try changing your t case oil. Depending on your year. 2016 and older I use a high quality ATF. 2016 and newer you have to use the mopar fluid as the needed friction modifier is in it.