Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Transfer case fluid

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Jeff Krawczyk, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Jeff Krawczyk

Jeff Krawczyk Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    That's what I am trying to figure out...I've seen some people say yes they have and the read different so i dont know, i did try and find a thread with this subject but was in a hurry and didnt see one but I'm sure if I look again there will be one somewhere

PoMansRam likes this.
  2. Brandon-w

Brandon-w Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If you look at it it's basically a transmission. It has fiber and aluminum plates and when 4x4 is engaged they activate and deactivate much like the bands in your transmission. So why would there be a special fluid for the t case? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Been running synthetic ATF for a year and I'm not easy on the unit and Havnt had a hiccup. I've yet to hear one case of anyone having failures do to Atf use in these. Ultimately its up to the end user but to me it's just another dodge money grab like mds lifter failures and exhaust manifold bolts.

PoMansRam likes this.
  3. Brandon-w

Brandon-w Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I'm sure @Burla or @Hemi395 may have some Insight as they screwed around with lota of engine oils?

4. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I wouldn't use the Mopar 8&9 fluid in the tcase, way too expensive for the tcase. Any ATF+4 would work fine in the tcase. The BW 44-44 technically requires the special 44-44 fluid but I've been running Redline C+ in my 44-44 and it's been fine for over a year now and it works perfect.

Burla, PoMansRam and Brandon-w like this.
  5. Brandon-w

Brandon-w Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Knew ud have somethin to say. Lol

Hemi395 likes this.
  6. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    LOL. Plus it's running even better with your switch

Burla and Brandon-w like this.
  7. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just need a better aftermarket fluid that matches the color of the expensive Mopar stuff ;)

PoMansRam, Hemi395 and Brandon-w like this.
  8. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    It even changes gears more smoothly now?

So with transmissions and transfer cases they all are fairly similar as far as viscosity goes. It really isn't a fluid thing that needs to be researched, but the part itself. If there is a lot of copper or plastic or clutches, or something different in the t case then it would have special requirements. In order to see if the fluid is compatible you need to know the innards of the part, and then you need a uoa of the oem fluid, to really judge. In some cases the fluid wont match the service interval. For example, redline d6 may not have the calcium required for a 60k interval in a transmission that has plastic pieces, so redline would still work just as good, but to protect the transmision you may need to change the oil more often. By the way, that isn't a hypothetical issue, but something Dave from redline actually said about d6, I forget what application he was talking about. Usually redline is an extended service fluid, but not in every case, depends on the application.

I know sean from his ecodiesel opted for maxlife in his zf8 tranny, and he was on a 25k interval. Well there ya go, when you lower the interval you choose that will correct if something is lacking in the formulation. But in some cases using the wrong liquid can be fatal, especially transaxle fluids. It's not knowledge of oil that is needed, but knowledge of what is different about that t case. Then you can come up with a strategy. I just don't know anything about that t case except what Corey has said. I also don't know anything about that fluid, is there a spec sheet out there?

Brandon-w and Hemi395 like this.
  9. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Oh yeah forgot about that! With the super expensive 44-44 fluid I had the tcase get hung up a couple times in 4Low but that's never happened with Redline C+. The shifts between 4Lock and 4Low are much smoother with C+ vs the special fluid.

I would bet and ATF+4 would be better than the 44-44 fluid TBH...

Burla likes this.
  10. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    It may be that "special" fluid is for gas mileage, and as a benefit to ram makes the t case not last as long, ha. How special.

Brandon-w likes this.