Transfer case pops out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wyelkhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hello all. New to the site.
My trucks transfer case pops out of 2wd into natural. It was only doing it in 2WD.
Barely made it home with constant poping out of gear. So I tried 4WD well that worked for a few miles then it started poping out of gear. My question is, is my transfer case shot ? Or is my linkage out of adjustment ?. And if so how do I properly set the linkage ?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can feel it engage fully its not likely an adjustment but likely worn gears as they not longer "lock" each other in the place. A rebuilt case is likely in your future. One other thing to check is the motor and transmission mounts. If they are worn it can create a lot of moment and push them out sometimes. Im still leaning on the gears being worn out.

OP
OP
W

Wyelkhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
If you can feel it engage fully its not likely an adjustment but likely worn gears as they not longer "lock" each other in the place. A rebuilt case is likely in your future. One other thing to check is the motor and transmission mounts. If they are worn it can create a lot of moment and push them out sometimes. Im still leaning on the gears being worn out.

OP
OP
W

Wyelkhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I checked the linkage everything looks tight. I've had my transmission out before. When I hooked up the linkage to transfer case I just stuck it on what appeared to be the old marks.
I was wondering if I never really put it in the correct spot. But as you said it feels like it tottaly engages.
They don't look too difficult to rebuild.
Looking online I see many different kits at different prices. Not wanting to get an inferior kit, I'm thinking I should check with the Dodge Dealership.
Anyone ever rebuilt theirs ?
And just what kit did they use ?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make sure it comes with new bearings and gears. They usually require a press of some sort and a slide hammer but the process is straight forward.

OP
OP
W

Wyelkhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Yeah I may just need new gears as well. Won't know until I open it up and get a good look at it.
Thanks for all the replies.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the teeth are worn the mesh doesn't hold the gears together and they push apart. Its almost definitely gears.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just to verify it is NOT a misadjusted linkage, you might want to disconnect the linkage and move the lever on the transfer case from under the vehicle. Take it for a test drive afterwards.