Transfer Case Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings. I changed my transfer case fluid today and ran into a strange issue. When I went to refill the case via the top fill plug, fluid shot back out. I poked my pinky finger in there and felt a smooth obstruction at the end of the threads that was totally blocking the fill hole. I put a screw driver in the hole--gently, no force at all--and the fill hole was cleared. I then filled the case, test drove the truck, and everything seems to be working just fine. Now I'm left wondering "what the hell was that?" Is something going to go floating into my chain or bust a gear? Was it something the factory neglected to remove...or something else entirely? If anyone has any insight, it would be sincerely appreciated!

I have a 2018 3500 SRW and believe it's the BW 44-47 manual case.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you have a very clean pan to catch the fluid so it can be reused I would drain it, then put a magnet in the drain hole to see if you can find any small chunks of metal, you may get lucky an it will come out by its self with the fluid... Good Luck...