Transfer Case Shifter Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Curious to see if anyone has solved this problem or had it. I never heard this all winter long until now. It warmed up a bit. Most every time I speed up or slow down the transfer case shifter squeaks. It moves of course when you accelerate or decelerate. At least a little. something in there is making it squeak during that movement cycle. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did that as well for a while. Irritating as Hell, then one day just disappeared.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure its the rubber boot up inside the truck. Mine has done it in the past. The rubber that goes up on the shifter stalk rubs on the fixed rubber on the side. Clean that area up a bit and see if it goes away.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Mine did it, I noticed it had a jerking motion when it was happening. I took the boot off, sprayed some WD40 with a long spray hose attached to it way down in the linkage in a bunch of places, hasn't done it since.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
So pretty much, remove rubber, clean your shaft, lube it up.

Putting rubber back on is typically optional but not in this case.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey thanks for the advice. I didn't check the thread out as my body was recovering from a boys weekend at the hunting shack. Almost buried the PW in the snow but it managed to get out. Finally used the winch too. I needed to rip down an old dog out on the property that's been there since I got it. Just too lazy to take it down till this weekend. Winch tore it down like a charm.

I figured it was something annoying like that. I'll get to it when it warms up a bit then.